Uncommon Dazzling Ships 271 members · 441 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
forbloodysummer
Group Admin

Each month we will be spotlighting one pairing, or suggesting a writing prompt. As you may have seen on the main page, this month's area of focus is Aria x Fluttershy.

What could the kindest of the mane cast possibly see in someone who canonically never says a kind word about anyone? What could a quiet, goody-goody tambourine player ever offer to the bad girl in the jacket with the cut off sleeves? Here's a well-regarded sample of the ship, but we need you to write more! The FlutterDagio story from which this group takes its icon is so definitive that others of that ship often suffer by comparison, so using Aria instead might be a novel way to approach a similar dynamic. Maybe Fluttershy needs someone no-nonsense on hand to help with training problem animals, maybe Fluttershy is the only person meek enough that Aria doesn't see her as providing a constant badgering to reform, maybe Aria has to volunteer at the animal shelter for community service, maybe Rainbow sets them up on a blind date as the craziest prank she's thought of yet...

Beautiful artwork provided by 3D4D, may it inspire you to come up with a delightful new tale of the Quiet and the Riot.

If this is a ship you like the sound of, this thread is probably a good place to discuss it. I joined this group not just to see all the unusual siren ships in one place, but to encourage others to write more of them, so if you're thinking of writing an Aria x Fluttershy story or have one in the works already, by all means let us know in the thread below. Or just discuss the ship: what you like about it and why, what problems you've encountered with it before, what scenarios you can envision for the two of them. Just talking about it like that can inspire others with new story ideas, some of which might get written down, at which point we all benefit :twilightsmile:

Already super-in for this. (Then again I was super-in for Twidagio, too, but I got here after that discussion's ship sailed, looks like. ^^;)

It's easy for people to forget that while Fluttershy is known for being the meek soft-spoken one, when she's in her element, or is around people she's comfortable with, that meekness goes out the window and gets replaced with Rain Mikamura-grade force of will. Especially in these later seasons. If anyone can walk into Hurricane Aria, stare directly into its whirling vortex unafraid, and show kindness and empathy where it's arguably not deserved sometimes, it's Fluttershy. I honestly don't see there being much initial friction provided you can get them into an opening conversation/mutual venue.

As for dynamic, I can easily see Fluttershy rounding out some of Aria's hard edges, teaching her to pick her battles and encouraging her to be more in touch with her full emotional spectrum (think Ember's priceless getting-in-touch-with-her-feelings performance, but more, uh, subtle, I guess?) while Aria teaches Fluttershy to stand up for herself in social situations that call for it---like if someone's trying to take advantage of her, and even use some of that forceful nature to encourage Fluttershy to be more assertive in her activities ("look, hon, passing flyers isn't going to cut it. You need to grab them by the throat and jam your message down it if you want people to listen!... By which I mean, metaphorically, of course. We'll hold a huge fundraising concert. That way any chokeholds that happen cant be traced back to us.").

...actually, yeah, Triple Threat isn't a half-bad starter template for this ship. Just with 1000x more cute and with the possibility of priceless scenarios like Fluttershy teaching Aria the cathartic wonders of a spa date. Who knew?

But that's just a theory. A SHIP THEOR--oh gosh I'm so sorry I'll stop

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6340918 I'd love to see the result of some of that! :twilightsmile:

Fluttershy: "See how much less stressed you feel after that nice relaxing spa treatment?"
Aria: "Yeah! I feel all soft and delicate, which is nice - you know, always good to let Adagio know she isn't the only sensual one around from time to time - but I feel kind of like Rarity. And if I get in a fight, that's not gonna help one bit."
Fluttershy: "...Are you planning to get into a fight?"
Aria: "Probably, it's a Tuesday."

I'd definitely like to see a side of Aria that's hostile to people but kind to animals, and how Fluttershy would connect with that.

"look, hon, passing flyers isn't going to cut it. You need to grab them by the throat andjam your message down itif you want people to listen!... By which I mean, metaphorically, of course. We'll hold a huge fundraising concert. That way any chokeholds that happen cant be traced back to us."

What if Aria suggests/helps with bringing some of the most people-friendly shelter animals into school one morning, so the students can meet them and bond with them, and be far more likely to help support them so they don't suffer? I imagine Fluttershy would be on board with the idea in principle, but it'd be Aria who says, "Screw what Celestia thinks, health and safety, insurance and allergies and so on won't help the kittens through the winter. We're doing this, and it's much easier to apologise after than get permission first."

I honestly don't see there being much initial friction provided you can get them into an opening conversation/mutual venue.

Providing they can get over Fluttershy being part of the group that beat Aria's, despite herself being far less impressive (I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Rainbooms really didn't need a tambourinist as an integral element of their sound :twilightsheepish:). But if Fluttershy just stands her ground as being in the right, it's only going to get Aria's back up, so they'd need to find a way to get past that.

I think they'd have a very nice fit. I always saw Aria as kinda bitter, standoffish and defensive. So she might actually be the one most resistant to reform attempts (Sonata -> Adagio -> Aria). But as 6340841 said, I think what would cement Fluttershy's ability to reform Aria is that she would (maybe out of fear initially?) leave Aria some space. Let the Rainbooms (or a higher punishing authority, like Principal Celestia or even a court) give her some community service and stick her with Fluttershy. Flutters would keep out of her way, since she also seems like the type to know how to enjoy some quiet time.

Animals are a really good calming influence. Who knows, maybe Aria enjoys their company too, so she ends up hanging around. Sooner or later, like 6340918 said, Fluttershy can start making casual conversation and gently get Aria to open up to her. Hell, as the third wheel of the sirens (With Sonata being the outwardly excited and happy one, and Adagio the flamboyant leader), someone paying attention specifically to her might go a long way in opening her heart.

Actually, Flutters might know how to deal with Aria. Treat her like a big, moody kitty. Leave her space and earn her trust when she comes and wants something. Sooner or later, Aria will let herself be cuddled all day long!

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6341129 Everything about this, yes! I would be really very excited to see this become a story :pinkiehappy: And I like that it wouldn't necessarily require her to be set against the other sirens, as Aria-centric stories often do. She just needs to approach adapting to her new situation in a different way to them, because she's a different person.

Actually, Flutters might know how to deal with Aria. Treat her like a big, moody kitty. Leave her space and earn her trust when she comes and wants something. Sooner or later, Aria will let herself be cuddled all day long!

I particularly like the thought that this only works going forwards when Fluttershy tries it, and Aria is still an angry cat whenever anyone else tries to see her soft side.

I haven't read Fuzzy's AriaShy crackshipping chapter, by the way, because of the Dazzling Sunset spoilers. So listing that story as the example for this ship was solely on the strength of your chapter :twilightblush:

I could easily see Aria getting rather attached to singular people, while remaining standoffish with most others. And FLuttershy would be the one to understand. She could let Aria be grumpy in public, while gently coaxing her to be more open with the rest over time.

At the same time, like
said, Fluttershy would take a firm stand when Aria gets too aggressive, or tries to pick fights with the other mane six. I am actually rather sure Aria would respect that. Hell, the fact that meek lil' Shy suddenly goes all stare master on her might be what kindles her interest in the first place.

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6343304 You are so right, and that would make a wonderful story. And I agree, Fluttershy standing up when Aria gets too aggressive is one of the things that I think would make Aria respect Fluttershy more, so that'd definitely be a good way to go. And yeah, I agree Fluttershy doing that could be what pushes it from tolerating/accepting/liking Fluttershy to whoa, actual sexual interest in her.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7