Changeling Panic! 19 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18
master18
Group Admin

Think you have a good idea for a new game mode or a new role? Post it here! If it gets tested in a game and seems to be reasonably well balanced, it may get added to the official roles/game mode lists!

Adda le Blue
Group Admin

the Thief
—proposed by Timelord358
Alignment: Neutral (Slightly Suspicious)
Ability: The Thief may visit another player during the night to try to steal their role. If their victim is a Changeling or a neutral role, the Thief fails; if their victim is a Townspony, they are successful and their victim becomes the new Thief.
Victory Conditions: Whoever is the Thief at the end of the game loses the game.

A big thank-you to Timelord358 for this one. It's looking to be one of my favorite roles, if we can make it work.

I think the Thief should come up "slightly suspicious" during a Royal Guard check.

Any suggestions whether they should act early or late in the night's roster? I'm thinking they should be last in the queue, but that's up for debate.

Also, have we decided whether we're going to make the Thief undetectable like an Assassin or not? I like the idea, but if we don't, that would mean a Changeling or any other player trying to hide their role could try to pretend they were the Thief when caught visiting another player by the Detective or Lunar Guard. I'm not sure... Do we want to give other players that opportunity?

I agree with the fact that they should act last, also depending on how the testing works maybe the thief could be night immune, as long as your the thief your safe at night but if you wait too long to switch it the game ends and you lose, again I think we should test it without night immunity first.

Adda le Blue
Group Admin

Night-immune? I don't know... I think undetectable fits the role better. Besides, telling someone you're a Thief should paint a target on your back, right? Makes no sense for that target to be on the other side of a brick wall. Maybe it's my Dungeons and Dragons experience talking, but I believe thieves are meant to be squishy!

bahatumay
Group Admin

Ooh. It’s like the old maid or passing on a curse. I like it.
I’d think first, because if I’m a royal guard, I find someone’s role, and then bam I’m not the royal guard anymore, I now have information I shouldn’t have. I’d put it after roleblockers.
I say keep them detectable. There are plenty of other role lies (royal guard, detective, lunar guard) that changelings could and do use.

bahatumay
Group Admin

And then you can’t pass the thief back to the original player the next night, but you don’t know who that player was. So you tried to give it to someone else and got denied. Were they the previous thief? A changeling? You don’t know!

Adda le Blue
Group Admin

Maybe we should wait on that last bit. With our small games, why make it harder than necessary for a new Thief to operate? It's tough to test a role that can't do its job, and in a game of nine with two Changelings and a neutral role, that last bit would mean there'd be a fifty-fifty chance the new Thief is stuck that way an extra night—and we rarely make it past Night Four.

bahatumay
Group Admin

That is a good point.
Curse our small numbers! :raritydespair:

Adda le Blue
Group Admin

Maybe it's time we give our old players a ring again, just in case.

I had an idea for a role, though I decided to tweak it a little to make it balanced
The Veteran
Alignment: Town
Ability: May go on alert at night, anyone who visits you will die, does not ignore night imunity, and only has 2 alerts.
Victory conditions: Lynch all evil doers.

Adda le Blue
Group Admin

Oh, we've seen this! One of our GMs tried something like this back in the day. Um... I think TracTix was the one to bring it in. Called it a Paranoid Pony or something. I believe Regret anything I do not was one of the few to get the chance to play it.

Does anyone remember how it went?

Oh, well so much for that idea.

Adda le Blue
Group Admin

No no, I think it's worth trying again. We only tried it once or twice, if I recall correctly, and I don't recall either test going very well. While Timelord's Thief gets first test, I say we give it another go whether we can remember our group's use of the role or not.

Not sure I like the name Paranoid Pony either way, though. It works, since the role is kind of like a Background Pony if that pony was a young Macaulay Culkin, but we can workshop it.

There was another one I had but, considering the problems it might cause, I think it's better off in Town of Salem.

Mhh I do remember several games where the GM would use this role, but I forget the outcome that came from it.

Adda le Blue
Group Admin

Alright, players, gms, admins
cp squad
roster fodder
me ol panikin skywalkers
what's the consensus on the Thief? I'm thinking:

Alignment: Neutral / slightly suspicious
Ability: Steal a Townspony's role, making the victim the new Thief. If the stolen role has a night action that has limited uses, such as the Mare-Do-Well's two-strike limit or a Background Pony's conditional ability to lock their door, the Thief will receive one usage of this ability no matter no matter whether the stolen role's original player had used up all or none of their actions.
Placement: after BP door locks, before Taxi Driver swaps
Night-Immune: No
Undetectable: No
Victory Conditions: Whoever is the Thief at the end of the game loses the game.

Thoughts and arguments?

Do if they steal a roll with a certain number of uses(I.E. MMDW, BG pony, Mayor deceleration) how would that work.

Adda le Blue
Group Admin

Oh, right. Thanks! :twilightsheepish:
I think that a stolen role will come with one use of said role's ability. After all, it'd be disappointing to steal a role with no purpose, and it makes sense that the Thief wouldn't be able to make the most of a stolen role the way the original player could have.
Edit: This information has now been placed in the original post, but is still up for debate.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18