My Little Pony: The Movie ~ Fan Club 198 members · 257 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

Hey, guys!
So ever since people saw MLP: The Movie, whether it was at the cinemas, or on DVD/Blue Ray, or downloaded, people have been saying that there was an error during one of the songs. The song I'm speaking of is, as you're probably guessed, "Open Up Your Eyes" sung by tempest Shadow herself.

The error that people are pointing out in the song is that there is an animation error involving Tempest's shadow having her horn fully intact, while it is actually broken. Here's the image of that "error" in question that is the subject for today's forum.

Now many of you are probably saying that this is an animation error. Well, there are some, like me, who disagree completely about that. I believe that this is not a animation error at all. From what I know about MLP is that the writers and animators like to give certain and even very subtle hints in anything they put in. And this part is no exception.

Now most of you are probably confused, so let me explain. This scene is a metaphor to the phrase, "A shadow of your former self", which means someone or something that is not as strong, healthy, full, or lively as before. The phrase is even mentioned in the Star Wars Revenge of the Sith novel. And it goes like this:

"And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less now than what you were, you are more than half machine, you are like a painter who has gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow.
In the end, you do not even want to. In the end, the shadow is all you have left. Because the shadow understands you, the shadow forgives you, the shadow gathers you unto itself—and within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame."

So that said, having the shadows of Tempest with her horn intact was not an animation error at all, but a very subtle the writers and animators metaphor to the phrase.

Of course, this is all my opinion. But what do you think?

6730108 I think they wanted to foreshadow her motivation. Kind of like foreshadowing in this scene:

So, yes. I don't think this was an animation error, but an actual intent.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2