The Barcast 1,113 members · 2,292 stories
Comments ( 52 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 52
anonpencil
Group Admin

If you know anything about me, you probably know that I am not a huge fan of Spike. So, I decided that it’s time to give this little dragon some “love,” with a contest. Except, as usual, I’m not going to play nice.

The Make Spike Suffer Contest is a FimFic writing contest entirely about making Spike miserable. Don’t like the idea of that, it’s a-ok not to enter or read entries, no worries! Just try not to take it personally if he's your favorite character or something, it's all in good fun. We may even see some stories here where he's a hero! Suffering is, of course, a rather broad spectrum however, so let’s go over some rules for this shindig.

RULES:
1. The story must be under 5,000 words! It can be merely 1,000 words too.
2. Two entries maximum per person, even if you’re doing colabs with others.
3. Spike must suffer during the story. Spike should be a focal point here, but he doesn’t have to be the main character. ALSO, this suffering does not have to be physical. You want to write about Spike pining away for a love he’ll never have, being rejected by Rarity, or seeing all his dragon “family” die, go for it. You can even make him a tragic hero! Creativity is encouraged. Comedy, tragedy, gore, romance, you can do anything you like with this with any rating!
4. It cannot have a happy ending for Spike. Other characters can end up happy, sure, but Spike himself must remain miserable by the end of the story.
5. It must be a NEW story. Only stories written and published between 6/1/2017 and 6/30/2017 (June) will be considered.
6. Your story must mention in the description that it is for the Make Spike Suffer contest with the Barcast, AND link to the group or contest page.
7. The story must be placed in the “Make Spike Suffer Contest” folder in this group to be considered.

THIS CONTEST WILL END ON JUNE 30th AT 11:59PM PST!

That’s it! Not exactly complicated. I will personally read these stories, and I will ask for input from other podcasters in judging (such as Flutterpriest, Flam, Rav, Enigma, or Milk) as THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ENTER (sorry podcasters). Judging will specifically look at lack of errors, style/flow of writing, and how creatively you make Spike suffer. I will wrap up judging one week after the contest ends, and will then announce the top three winners on the Barcast group as well as on my own page.

Yes, there are prizes:
* 1st place - $20, a reading of your story (with all the voices), and a pencil sketch of anything you’d like
** 2nd place - $10 and a pencil sketch of anything you’d like
*** 3rd place - $5 and a pencil sketch of anything you’d like
A sample of my work.

These can be paid via pay pal. It’s not a lot, I know, but I’ll also personally be really cheering for these stories and will send people your way to read them. I’ll probably even give ya a follow just for trying. Please do ask me any questions you have here in this thread, and I'll be happy to answer.

So, what are you waiting for? Let’s make Spike suffer together!

2Merr #2 · Jun 1st, 2017 · · 1 ·

O boi, here I go killing again

DumbDog
Group Contributor

I'm giving all my winnings to Enigma's Patreon.

anonpencil
Group Admin

If people do this, then I suppose we all win.
Or lose. I don't know. Depends on how you look at it.

5971321 I'll enter.

Seems like fun.

Also if you'd like I can offer up $20 towards the prize pot.

anonpencil
Group Admin

That's extraordinarily kind of you, and vey unexpected!!!
I'll have to think on that... make sure it's not a bribe or any such thing. :trixieshiftright:

I'll enter. Haven't really written about Spikey Wikey yet, so here goes.

5971337 lol no bribe.

i just like to help you guys out.

How about this. I'll donate $20 to the pot, I would like to enter but just out of making a story lol, I wouldn't be entered for the prizes, just for the hay of it lol.

anonpencil
Group Admin

WOW, that's crazy generous. <3 Sure thing, I'm super busy at the moment, but I will happily contact you later about it. Hell, I'll probably do something nice extra for you anyway.
I have updated the winnings amounts. Sincerely, thank you.

Sign me the heck up!

5971355 No prob will be able to get the money on my card prob tomorrow or like over the weekend.

Used to give away psn cards to my gaming buddies all the time, before they got all stuck up. :ajbemused:

Lol stay awesome Barcast!

5971269 Fuck you guys, you beautiful sons of bitches.

I have to join this, but maybe I'll find a way to make Berry and Cadance suffer, too. You know, love and war and such.

So, the story has to be a published story in Fimfiction to enter?

anonpencil
Group Admin

5971373 Yep! In order to follow the rules, it would have to be.

If this becomes a thing I'll definitely enter on another contest. I am more comedy than abuse so I'll just enjoy everyone pretending they are Anonpencil.

There is gonna be so much vomit.

If I have the time to spare I'll try to get something done for this; though I won't take money (in case I win).

5971400 I'm already psychologically abusing scootaloo, so doing the same to spike should be easy.

I'm pretty sure I already wrote that story. :moustache: :raritywink:

Either way, I do some terrible things to ponies, but not for the challenge of hurting them. Despite how good I may be at it, "hurt this character" is not inspiration for me. Best of luck to the rest of you, though! :pinkiesmile:

A few questions.
If you are allowed 'two' entries could one technically work around the 5,000 word limit by making two chapters of roughly that size?
Not that I think I'll be quite that industrious even if the theme is shadenfreude, but it occurs that this would be a limit workaround.

And, do we submit it directly to you through private channels or are we expected to share it within the bounds of the FIMfiction community?

Keep in mind a thousand words might be 5 hours of work, can I expect that much in line art of work minimum?
I know a page of a comic and performing arts take longer than a simple doodle, and we are exchanging things after all. I stopped keeping track of amount of time a few years ago although I do I know a half decent 25-27 page script can be written in a week among other collegian assignments.

anonpencil
Group Admin

I will happily answer your questions in full at another time, as I am busy at the moment. I promise, because I really should clarify some of this!
In the meantime, please read the rules once more, because a few of them should be answered there. :)

Considering how much Spike stuff I've been writing recently, this contest is making me curious...

especially if any rating is allowed~

I'll do it.

even if you’re doing colabs with others.

Collabs you say?

FIX ERROR.

I have never done any contests here but I feel like this will be a fun little warm up before actually getting into the nitty gritty of my actual story.

anonpencil
Group Admin

I will not. Fuck it, we'll do it live !!!

This is fucking stupid.

I'm in.

Yes, is it possible to harass people like David Silver or heaven forbid Lauren Faust, assuming some other expert to assist isn't available to reign in on the fun of torturing Spike? I mean, that technically wouldn't be cheating would it?

anonpencil
Group Admin

OKAY! To answer some questions:
-If you'd like to do two entries which equal to one story of 10K words or under, I suppose I'd be okay with that. But ya gotta make it a spectacular one.
-It must be on fimfic, otherwise how would you get it into the assigned folder? Basically, ya gotta do it on here, you can't just keep it on pastebin or something.
-The art I do is until I am satisfied with it. If that takes two day, if that takes two hours, that will be how it is. Basically, I'd offering that as an added perk, the cash itself is the main prize. This is for fun, after all, and it's gonna be a pencil sketch, not an in depth digital piece of art. I'm definitely not that talented.
I hope that helps!

Sweet. What if I'd like to use your art as cover art, would you then consider special treatment? It could be mutually benificial. Free advertising and all that, assuming it's an award winning piece of writing. Obviously I cannot gauruntee anything, least of all your preference.

Good thing I was already going to write a story about Spike suffering! now I have a even better reason for doing it.

anonpencil
Group Admin

I would do art the exact same way, no special treatment, but you would be welcome to use it as cover art. Like I said, not extremely talented, but Flutterpriest does so fairly often with my pencil stuff.

5972495 I know.

Surely this is an accidental reply.

I like being silly and playful... supercilious was not intended, although I often wonder if that is the secret origin of the word.

Hahahaha, ooooh... I don't even hate Spike that much... but the prizes are so worth the potential effort of writing out suffering...
Good thing I'm super good at writing horrible gut wrenching things :trollestia:

I'm so in on this, like... legit.
Already has a delicious idea in mind

I wrote up the plans to my story, so I guess it will become a thing. Should be out some time this week. Assuming I have the time to finish it this week. I'm going to be busy as is...

Funny. Don't think I ever wrote a Spike story.

Better put on my drinking pants writing hat.

I just realized there are prizes. No joke, I was so distracted by the pure desire to win the competition, I never bothered reading through the entire thing.

Unfortunately, my main entry i put in the entry folder is a bit over the word limit by a hundred words or so. Ill try and fix it if i can before judging.

hmmm ok inspirational heavy metal music:
check
not giving any fucks about quality: check
having spare time: not really but I don't care

ok starting the gore!

Guess who's writing a story for this contest?~

ME!!!

anonpencil
Group Admin

LESS THAN A WEEK TO GO, EVERYONE! GET THOSE ENTRIES IN! :)
There have already been some amazing ones.

Been meaning to get back into dark comedy. Let's see if I can get it made in two days lol

Flutterpriest
Group Admin

ONLY TWO MORE DAAAAYYYSSS

Edit: did you guys really set pencil's post rating to 9/11? Top kek.

Someone better fucking write a fic about spike being turned into a pufferfish

Comment posted by Dark Chocolate deleted Jul 1st, 2017

We all suffer then move on or not. I like Spike and hope to see some good stories.

Someone better fucking write a fic about spike being turned into a pufferfish

Been meaning to ask this for awhile: What is wrong with you and how do I learn your ways?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 52