Flashfic 253 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 38 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 38
Loganberry
Group Admin

Okay, time for July's contest! This time we have the longest prompt in FF150 history, so let's see how it goes. For those uncertain, the prompt's usual meaning refers to pushing for something to happen and then being upset when it rebounds on you. Equestrian example off the top of my head: Princess Twilight issues a blanket decree against excessively dangerous spells, then gets upset when she gets arrested for using dark magic during research. Yes, you can use this setup yourself if you want.

However, you can of course take the prompt any other way you like (even literally!) as long as it's within site and contest rules. On which note:

Here are the full rules.
Please use this word counter.

You'll note that Rule 6 still explicitly disallows any G5 (and indeed other non-G4) content. This may change before this year is out, but that depends to a considerable extent on people's feelings here. If you have any particular views on that, in any direction, please feel free to mention them in the Rules etc thread in the forum.

Remember, there is no prize, as such, for this contest -- but if you win, you will be able to choose the prompt for the next contest. You'll also get a mention on the group's front page. Not much else to say here, but I will mention that stories with a distinctively Equestrian (including EqG) slant are likely to appeal to the judge (ie me) rather more than those which could have been written about Earth bar a pony name or two. Hint, hint, as Applejack once said.

Prompt: "I didn't think the leopards would eat MY face!" (selected by Posh)
Rating: E or T
Word limit: 150
Closing date: Thursday 21st July 2022, 11:59 pm UK time (world clock)

Please reply to this post with your entry. This makes it easier for me to keep track. Please do not leave feedback until after the closing date.

Entries are now open! Have fun! :twilightsmile:

*Stares at prompt*

Huh? .......huh!? ....HUUUUUUUUUHHHHHH!?!?!?!?!?

Was somehow beaten last month by a story involving Fluttershy as she talked about her sex life, everyone loved it for some odd reason, and now I'm given this bizarre prompt? Who is this Posh and why do they confuse me so?

...eh pish posh, I thought of a concept a week ago that fit this prompt anyways.

The Past was Magical

"So you see, a unicorn's horn is in contact with its owner's cerebral cortex. With their brainwaves, they're capable of emitting their magic from their horn in a fashion similar to radar, resulting with telekinesis, energy shots, and many other spells." Lemon Hearts focused on Shoeshine, laying on top of the operation table, "Following me?"

"I am, but how will knowing this explain the process of turning me into a unicorn?"

"Somepony passed away recently, and she just so happened to be a donor. I was able to get my hooves on her horn, and with that, I'll fuse the bone with your forehead."

"Through magic?"

"Guess again," as she put on a mask.

Shoeshine gulped, "...surgery."

"You gotta keep in mind that nopony has ever done this before. But, through my studies, I've found a method." Lemon approached with a tool in aura, "Have you ever heard about 'Trepanning'?"

Posh #3 · Jun 30th, 2022 · · 2 ·

Was somehow beaten last month by a story involving Fluttershy as she talked about her sex life, everyone loved it for some odd reason, and now I'm given this bizarre prompt? Who is this Posh and why do they confuse me so?

found this cool video about your house

To Tartarus with you

"We forgive you for everything, Starlight Glimmer. Let's be friends." Twilight smiled.

"I just tried to destroy Equestria as you know it. Are you sure forgiveness is in order?"

"Sure. It's like with Tirek. We all forgave him."

"You sent him to Tartarus…"

"Hmm, you have a point. To Tartarus with you then."

"Wait, I didn't think convincing you that I need to be punished would actually make you punish me..."

"We live and we learn, dear Starlight." Twilight cast a spell. "We live and we learn."

Starlight Glimmer found herself in Tartarus, chained to a wall. Below her was lava, and on the opposite wall hung a big sign: 'Don't forget, you'll be here forever'.

Edit: 25 - To Tartarus With You

Aren’t You Afraid The Fashion Police Will Come And Beat You With Their Fabulous Batons?

Sunset squinted at the words on Rarity’s homemade, sequined sash. “’Fashion Monitor?’”

“A position I proposed myself!” said Rarity. “What better use for our budget surplus?”

Some water dripped onto Sunset’s nose. “Makes sense.”

“Knew you’d understand.” Rarity beamed. “Mark my words, once I’m instated, I’ll have CHS looking sharper than a serpent’s tooth.”

“Fashionista, heal thyself.”

They turned toward the voice. Rarity gasped.

”Pinkie?!”

“Yeah, I needed an extracurricular.” Pinkie scribbled something on a piece of paper, which she thrust into Rarity’s hand.

Rarity blinked. “Qu'est-ce que?”

“I’m citing you. That sash? Gauche.” Then, whistling, Pinkie sauntered off.

Rarity clenched her fists and jaw; Sunset, nervously, backed away.

“On my honor, Pinkamena,” Rarity growled. “I’ll--”

The ceiling broke open, and a deluge of water soaked Rarity. Sequins floated at her feet like tiny, fabulous lily-pads.

Sunset winced. “Want me to grab some paper towels?”

Rarity slumped wetly. “Lots, please.”

Will this turn out to be my official contest entry? Until the 21st, who knows? And how many wacky edits might I make until that deadline? (Well, ok, the edits are more likely to be pretty tiny and nitpicky at most and in total.)

Every Flashfic 150 Winner From Now On Will Be About Fluttershy's Sex Life

by Mockingbirb

Discord sneaked up behind several colts, who were trying to peek through a tiny crack in the wall of Fluttershy's cottage. He tactfully asked some questions.

"Fluttershy is the most beautiful mare in Ponyville," one colt explained. "Everypony wants to know what it takes to win a mare like that."

Discord asked, "Everypony? Even fillies?"

Scootaloo said, "Mmmaybe."

"I have illustrated instruction books, but they'll cost you. A whole bit each!"

Colts and fillies practically pelted the draconequus with bits, grabbing booklets in their teeth until everypony had one.

After a minute, Scootaloo turned greenish. "Disgusting!" she said. "I have to eat ALL my vegetables?"

Diamond Tiara fumed, "I can't believe Fluttershy doesn't like expensive jewelry! That's unfair!"

"Wow," Spike said. "Having sharp claws DOESN'T scare off every mare. Some mares even LIKE claws."

"Discord!" Fluttershy shout-whispered. "WHAT are you doing?"

"Would you believe...trying to be a good influence?"

Well, instead of doing something patriotic for July, I decided to go for a literal interpretation of the prompt.

Hope you enjoy!

Here We Are Again

Chrysalis grumbled as she waited outside the emergency room. Again.

It was the fifth time something had happened this year, and it was only February. She couldn’t stand how that inconsiderate NICOMPOOP JUST-!

Her thoughts derailed as the door opened, a cream colored pony approaching her.

“He’s stabilized and conscious. He shouldn’t get any worse with the bandages in place, but we ask you to refrain from any violence this time.”

Chrysalis brushed aside the glare she received, trotting past the nurse with a flippant “Only light strangling, gotcha.”

Leaving the irritated pony behind, she went to the usual room and just deadpanned at the mess of fur, bandages and red eyes glaring grumpily at the ceiling.

“Sombra.”

“…Yes?”

“Why’d you get Pony-eating Leopards?”

“…To eat the elements.”

“And what did they do?”

Sombra sighed. “They tried to eat me…”

“And that is why you’re banned from the pet shop.”

*Puts on Robert De Niro voice* Are you calling me salty? Are your calling me salty!? Cause if I was salty, I would've thumb downed your story the moment I saw the results.

Blame my autism, but I'm being honest that I can't figure out why your story was so successful.

:duck:: How you do it?
:yay:: We don't.
:duck:: Stress?
:yay:: Hugs & kisses.

Was that suppose to be clever? Endearing? Because I hate to blow the dust out of peoples' eyes cause that's how a successful marriage works. I should know, cause my parents have been living like this for over 35 years now.

If there's anything I'm salty about from last month, then it's Logan's observation (I made that bad pun just for you, and you didn't even mention it).

Posh #9 · Jul 1st, 2022 · · 1 ·

7709388 You’ve boiled my story to a reductive, one-note summary, much like an inept chef ruins a pan sauce with too much butter and too little wine. Since you’ve now decided to publicly condescend to me twice, I will respond to your criticism in earnest. I will organize my response in bullet points.

• I wrote the story for the prompt “Pride.”
  • It was about an asexual married couple.
  • Among the LGBTQ+ population, asexuals aren’t terribly well represented in media.
  • The point of the story was clearly understood and appreciated by the group
  • This explains the strong reception it received.

I’m sorry that the message flew over your head, but that’s a you-problem, not a me-problem.

Also, thank you for telling me about your parents’ sexless marriage. That’s information I definitely needed. It will enrich my life in ways I can’t begin to fathom.

:facehoof: Asexual... there's way to many sexual preferences for me to remember.

Thank you clearing it up. It can be hard for me to see things the same way as everyone else can and questionable if my messages can get across the way I intend them to be. I usually like to start my entries every month with a witty comment that leads into the story. Seeing that I was confused about your entry, having an unusual prompt to work with, and the fact that I could make off your name (pish posh), I thought I could make a shout out in some way.

:facehoof: Asexual... there's way to many sexual preferences for me to remember.

Aces generally don’t experience sexual attraction, hence, asexual. “A” as in “non.” Although, to a degree, some do.

I’ve always headcanoned Discord as asexual, because I don’t really think an ageless deity has sexual needs or preferences. Fluttershy being asexual was just a “wouldn’t it be cool if?” thought that I had.

Thank you clearing it up. It can be hard for me to see things the same way as everyone else can and questionable if my messages can get across the way I intend them to be. I usually like to start my entries every month with a witty comment that leads into the story. Seeing that I was confused about your entry, having an unusual prompt to work with, and the fact that I could make off your name (pish posh), I thought I could make a shout out in some way.

This is constructive criticism: Repeatedly saying that you thought the winning entry didn’t deserve to win, and openly expressing confusion about why people liked it, doesn’t read as witty. Perhaps you should rethink your approach a little in the future.

This is constructive criticism: Repeatedly saying that you thought the winning entry didn’t deserve to win, and openly expressing confusion about why people liked it, doesn’t read as witty. Perhaps you should rethink your approach a little in the future.

I never really said that it didn't deserve to win, but rather how did it win as a way to build towards the line of it confusing me. I've come to accept that the winner is up to Logan to decide, and while he tends to make far choices, he pretty much picks what really strikes him at the moment, so I worked off that observation.

I'll admit that it was a poor, witty remark (there's plenty I'm not fond of), but much like these entries, I'm never quite certain on how it will be received until it's out there. Nevertheless, I'll accept the criticism with caution.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Okay, I think we've reached the "Please take it to PMs if you wish to continue that conversation" stage of proceedings here. Thanks!

Heard about this through my shriveled and unwatered grapevine, so I thought I'd come through and put down the first thing that came to mind! Because writing's all about fun! unless you're like me, in which case it's about seeking strangers' love haha

Now what have we learned?

Twilight Sparkle sat, frowning and silent, by Rainbow Dash's hospital bedside.

Well, maybe not silent. "I can't believe you would do that, Rainbow. What were you thinking?!"

Rainbow's prone, gowned form groaned muffledly from under the thick mask of bandages wrapped around her entire head. "I didn't do anything! I was following right behind Daring Do, and she turned a corner, and around the corner was a freakin' leopard!"

Twilight's frown deepened at Rainbow's wild, explanatory motions. "And why were you following Daring Do in the first place?"

There was a moment of silence that Twilight thought might've been because of the sudden loud beeping from the bedside machine as a tube came disconnected from Rainbow's forearm. Either way, Rainbow's bandage mask eventually responded in a noticeably pained voice.

"To tell her I saw a leopard?"

Twilight sighed, as a nurse burst through the door.

Never seen this contest before, so I hope I've only violated as many rules as is allowed!

Just Just Justice

By: SparklingTwilight

Princess Luna spake unto her sister: “Sister-of-mine: this nouveau spell fills Us with joy.”

Celestia warned her kin: “Find succor not in the suffering of others.”

“But lo,” Luna insisted, “mad King Discord hath acted most unjust--an evil end he must meet.”

Celestia shook her head: “Even evil we must repay with fairness.”

“Was it fair to turn ponies into pastries?”

“Neigh,” Celestia responded.

“When he turned you into an eclair?”

“Neigh,” Celestia repeated.

“Then it is determined, sister-of-mine. There will be banishment to Our moon!”

“But there he cannot breathe.”

“What concern of that is Ours?”

“I must research a spell.”

“No time exists.”

“Then--an alternative.”

“...We could stone him.”

“With rocks?”

“Neigh. A graven image he will become.”

“Ah, statuary,” Celestia nodded. “But still I will study moon-breathing...since only one statuary may exist.”

Luna frowned. Yet, years later when she was banished to the moon--she breathed well.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Never seen this contest before, so I hope I've only violated as many rules as is allowed!

Happy to confirm your entry is indeed eligible.

This is 245 words, but I was bored and wrote this garbage because I dunno what else to do.

Sir Antony the Great MMXX sighed. "It was simple enough. You get the lepoards, they rip up that blasted demon-girl, and we avenge our siblings that she killed with that freaky fire-light-sunbeam thing."

"Sir, not to be rude, but how were we even supposed to get the lepoards on our side? We still need to reinforce our diplomatic relations after the Munckins bit them those blasted kids.."

"Pish-posh. There's a nice leopard helping us right now!"

Cassius MXII frowned. "Do you even know what a lepoard is? The thing holding you is a human. She's our ally, Fluttershy."

Antony shrugged with his little stick arms. "I'm the Great General Ant, not the Foreign Relations Specialant. That's you. Besides, I didn't get to see the thing before it CRUSHED MY FREAKING HEAD OFF! I'M GOING TO DIE!"

"You know, for someone who's about to die, you seemed pretty calm for a moment there."

"That's because I trust you to finish our mission. But this time, I want them to only rip up her face. Let her die in agony, just like me." With that, he let out his final breath.

"Sir? Sir! SIR!" Cassius's face hardened. "I will avenge you, my dear friend. After her face gets ripped up to shreds, her body-"

The author who doesn't know why they wrote this will spare you the details.

Sunset took a sip of the Earl Grey tea. "So. What are they saying?"

"...You don't want to know."

"So with this version of the My Little Pet Leopard, we at the lab believe we have totally eliminated the rare condition in which our perfectly safe and adorable pet would eat your face."

"You mean they no longer eat your face when they see it."

"Right. Mostly."

"What do you mean, mostly? Is that like only once in a million times? Ten thousand?"

"Twelve. But the other eleven times is perfectly safe."

"Perfectly... How many times does it see somebody's face in a day?"

"Oh, fifty or sixty, we estimate. Now if you will please take your place next to the Mk 14 My Little Pet Leopard With Reduced Face-Eating Action, we can get started. I'll just step out of the room and hit the remote power activator... now where did I put that?"

"Remote power activator? You mean you don't trust your own invention enough to be in the room when it turns on?"

"Of course I trust my invention. It's just difficult to take notes when-- Where are you going?"

"Oh, I'm just stepping out of the room for a moment. You'll be perfectly safe."

"Is that... my remote activator?"

"This? Maybe. Like you said, I trust your invention."

"Wait a minute! Come back! The boys at the lab are almost done working on the Mk 15--"

<click>

(Horrible face-eating noises....)

(Hi, Georg! If this is to be a Flashfic 150 contest entry, you have until the 21st to edit it down to 150 words. https://wordcounter.net/)

Wait, there’s a word counter site? I was using the word counter in the writing tool on this site.

For the Flashfic 150 contest, the official word counter is https://wordcounter.net/

Seems to have the same count as the one on this site.

Midnight Sparkle

I did this.

It was the first thought that entered Twilight Sparkle’s head when she finally retook control of her mind. It was also the next several thoughts.

I did this.

She was floating inside a blinding white void, facing a girl with brilliant golden wings, who was stretching out her hand in an offer of friendship. Let me show you there's another way, she’d said.

What good was that hand to a monster like her?

Twilight could feel her own wings, mild jolts of pain shooting through her as they tensed. Dark magic radiated from her body. Tears welled as the weight of what she’d become sank in deep.

I wanted magic. I wanted to understand. Now look at me.

She’d gotten everything she’d sought. And the bill had been her soul.

Finally, she reached out and took the girl’s hand. It was all she had left.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Just to be clear about this: the length of your story at the deadline will determine whether it's eligible. However, it is preferred that stories intended for competition are the right length from the start. Hope that's clear!

Haven't done anything for this group in years, so I decided to buckle down and do one. Something silly because I need to write something silly for once.

No U

“Hey, Mud,” Maud said with her typical enthusiasm. “Are you almost done with your app?”

Mud glanced up from his computer, his hooves still flying across the keyboard. “Technically, Multi-Briar is a review site with moderate integration of social media elements. We can now criticize everything in the world that doesn’t meet my high standards.”

A small whistle emanated from the speakers. Mud’s face did not change, but Maud could practically feel the joy radiating off him.

Multi-Briar is live,” Mud said.

Another whistle sounded.

“And we just got our first user,” Mud whispered. “I can’t wait to see what nuanced critique they provide.” Mud’s mouse rolled over to the New Users button on the monitor’s left side and clicked.

A single white box filled the screen.

PinkieWitDaCake says:

Mud briar is cringe…lol! liked him better as statue

“Perhaps,” Mud sighed, “I should make adjustments to the site rules.”

Fluttershy's Gratuitous Dirt Bike Chase With Blackjack, Leopards and Equestrains of Yakyakistan
--In which Fluttershy and Sombra try to convince Sandbar, Chrysalis and Yona that they do not have diplomatic immunity to the leopards--

Fluttershy and Sombra were ripping forward--the leopards were closing in!

Sombra fumbled with his cards. "I don't have any life points! It's blackjack!"

The Chrysacycle roared as Yona inside-passed Fluttershy.

"Your Blackjack is nothing compared to Yakyakistanic b-battle myths," Sandbar waved a figure at Sombra. "I win by default!"

Fluttershy squeaked --how could she be loosing?-- and thundering leopards encroached.

How? After months of planning and perfect ring, Discord had vanished. Senator Sombra was fighting against dual citizenship in Eqiestria. Now --Fluttershy cringed, fighting gravity-- her flight school leopards were back! She was ruining everything.

"VVVRRRROPBEINGSUCHAPUSHOVERANDMOOOVEONWI'YOURCRRRUU'DFATRETRETREHHH!" the Chrysacyle beat.

"Straight. flush!" Sombra showed his cards.

"Yakxodia!" Sandbar declared.

"No Immunity!" Sombra's cards bumped away, Fluttershy reached back, but they trailed into the leopards soft fur.

"Jump!" Yona broke hard.

Not slowing, Fluttershy accelerated--misinterpreting Yona's cry. She realized too late: the leopards grew. Fluttershy flew.

P.S. Please give me feedback. I live on feedback. I need it.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Just over two days to go, everyone!

Loganberry
Group Admin

7709050 7709076 7709081 7709107 7709162 7709517 7709572 7710059 7710326 7713874 7715644 7715835

Okay, everyone, time is up! I'll admit I wasn't sure what kind of a response we'd have to a prompt that differed from the usual FF150 prompts, but happily there's been a good entry. Thank you, everyone! :twilightsmile: There are a couple of fics that exceed the 150-word limit, plus Posh is ineligible as the prompt-setter (though props for that title!) but that still leaves a decent little crowd.

As ever I'll try desperately to decide, over the next few days, which story I actually think should win this thing. Meanwhile...

...feedback is open. Away you go!

plus Posh is ineligible as the prompt-setter

EDIT: it’s just a meme, I am well aware :raritywink:

A neat exploration of the whole Midnight Sparkle event, a good read!

“What about the Loganberry attack on my dignity?”

Thanks! Got a good chuckle from Sombra’s feline mishap.

Loganberry
Group Admin

You have discovered the real reason I run these: who'd miss an opportunity like this to be outrageous and unfair? :trollestia:

Loganberry
Group Admin

7709050 7709076 7709081 7709107 7709162 7709517 7709572 7710059 7710326 7713874 7715644 7715835

All right, everyone: it's results time! True to form, you lot all made my job far more difficult than it might have been. I really enjoyed seeing how much variety there was in these entries. But here we go:

Hon Mensh: Sparkling Twilight -- little touches of humour early on, what with the eclair line and so on, but it later became a rather haunting and satisfying fic. I loved the last line in particular.

Winner: Frazzle2Dazzle -- silly and fun, and it made me chuckle out loud. That's worth a good deal to me, as long-time entrants here will know. Though I'm glad you did decide against "something patriotic for July, given that I'm not American... :raritywink:

Congratulations to both of you, and Frazzle2Dazzle, please come up with a prompt for August's contest. When you've thought of one, please post it here so that I can approve it and make the necessary edits ready for the 1st.

Thank you to everyone who entered, and by all means continue with feedbacking. :twilightsmile:

“For the first time in forever~!”

Glad that I made you laugh! For next month’s prompt, does “I hardly know her” work for you?

FWIW I probably would’ve written something different if I’d known you’d be judging this so soon after reading and reviewing The Same Mistake You’re Making, which my entry is probably way too similar to. :twilightsheepish:

Loganberry
Group Admin

Yep, sounds good to me! Thanks!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 38