Flashfic 253 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26
Loganberry
Group Admin

For tomorrow spring is here! Well, not really, as meteorologically speaking it's here already, and traditionally speaking it's got about three weeks to go yet. But hey, whoever said accuracy was important? Wasn't me, anyway.

Here are the full rules.

Remember, there is no prize, as such, for this contest -- but if you win, you will be able to choose the prompt for the next contest. You'll also get a mention on the group's front page. If you bribe me hard enough, it's possible you may get away without that second bit. This month's details, then.

Prompt: "I Was Blind, (But Now I See)" (selected by last month's winner, Impossible Numbers)
Rating: E or T
Word limit: 150
Closing date: Thursday 21st March 2019, 11:59 pm UK time (world clock)

Please reply to this post with your entry. This makes it easier for me to keep track. Please do not leave feedback until after the closing date.

Entries are now open! Have fun!

Another month and another lucky shot struck me.

What do I mean by this? Well remember that story I said a while back that I wanted to get out into the world? Yeah, this is another part of that story. This speech/story is roughly the entire concept for this certain character I have in mind.

And no, you won't know who this guy is since he's an OC.

Sol's Concept

I entered this world the usual way; just like many ponies have before me.

I was greeted by my parents; just like many ponies have done prior.

But unlike the ponies hitherto been; I never saw them back.

Cursed? Perhaps; for my vision is impaired to watch nothing but darkness.

A cure? Nothing but a ploy; to raise my hopes only for them to be shot down.

But as luck would favor, I was born as a certain breed; a Unicorn, the magic wielding race.

Proof of this stood at my forehead; a symbol that marked all of our kind.

Like a beacon, my horn acts like a radar that detects the magic swarming about; caressing us, forging us, empowering us to march forward.

It enlightens me.

It guides me.

I can feel..... no, I can see the magic flowing through the air; forging new light to my darken world.

Will be back to tackle this later, once I'm confident I can devote time and attention to it. Of course, as per the rules, I can't actually win, but I'd like to have a go anyway for fun (secretly the best reason to do anything). :pinkiesmile:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...

...BACK! Back. back...

I had a little trouble here:
What would delight, what would endear
An audience to keep afloat
A tale based on a Python quote?
A lit'ral blindness was too obvs,
And it's a little cliché (probs).
So maybe nick a lit'ry trick
And deafen someone's favourite chick?
Not 'less I want a lynching mob.
(Since controversy's not my job,
I kicked that out and planned instead
A metaphor that's not too dead).
And then I listened to a song
And researched genres (tale's too long
To tell it all), but then appeared
A seed, a spark so finely geared
For such a brain so cracked and weird.
(That's mine of course; come on, it's true!)
When singing's just what ponies do,
I'll write a fic about the sheer
Amount of songs we hold so dear
(As sung by ponies, changelings, ghosts,
And Discord too). The show can boast
A swathe of genres, never mixed!
My problem solved, my issues fixed,
I made a start compiling lists,
And that is why the fic consists,
Of Octy-Lyra's season-hops
To find those eps which had the chops
To make our jaws all drop. (Don't lie:
A million fans can testify
To awesome songs and horsey tunes
That made them whoop and bawl like goons.)
And Octy-Lyra was my choice
'Cause Octy gives the blend her voice
While Lyra's not a DJ (change
Of pace: and maybe something sorta strange
Is sorta what I want, when Scratch-
And-Octy fics all make a batch
Of "been-there-done-that" leftovers,
Old comfort food, and handovers).
But rest assured: there is a point,
A plot progression, a moral joint
(It's nothing new, just that old schtick
About not being a total... thick...o...
When faced with new things, mixed-and-matched.
An oldie's still a goldie, natch,
And if you tried comparing this
With "Octy-Vinyl's" age, don't diss;
You seen how many fics there are
That join them at the hip? My stars!).
But having questioned artsy rights,
There's just one reason we should write:
And that's because it's freaking great!
I hope you all appreciate
The fic below, it's all good fun.
(Thank god for that. My song's all done.)
So just sit back, enjoy the show,
Because (at last) I'm gonna go
And find another thing to try.
So sayonara, peeps: GOODBYE!

(I really should rethink my life:
The hell is this!? A song!? It's rife
With crappy rhymes and awkward bits.
The whole thing's just a load of... ditz...iness).

OK, for real this time, I'm off. Man oh man...

Eight-Genre Pile-Ups

“Dubstep Cello,” repeated Octavia. “Unorthodox, but superior to that barbaric Pony Pokey.”

Wha!?” Lyra spluttered. “Genre-mixing?”

“It worked, O unimaginative non-visionary.”

“Ha! What next? Propagand-Operas with Starlight’s town?”

“I’ve done propag-anthems in Ponyville! ‘Classic Winter Rap-Ups.’”

“Never heard of it.”

“Lyra! I’ll inspire you yet. Imagine… CMC: Cello-Mark-Crusaders!”

They imagined it.

“No,” they agreed.

“Alternatively, Flim-Flam-Octavia’s-Easy-Peasy-Super-Squeezy-Classics-Wheeze…y?”

Lyra snorted. “You wanna keep your copyright? Ah! Cadence’s Magico-Mysteria Changeling-Aria! That’d be awesome.”

“Plus Equestria’s entire Apple clan performing country, barn-raising style.”

“DJ Discord!” Lyra gulped a glass of water.

“Cheese-and-Cello Sandwich.”

“Hearth’s-Warming-Spirit-Soul-Music: Past, Present, Future! Wait… nah, Snowfall Frost’s old-hat…”

‘Olivia!’ songs, instead?”

“Plus Coloratura’S-apphire ShoreS-ongbird Serenade, plus Ponytone-Pinkamena’s Wonderbolt-rapping Blues…” Lyra grinned. “Right on! This mixing-genres gig’s the most awesome-tastic idea ever!

“See?”

Cooool! When we doing it!?

“When you fund it.”

Eee… Oh. S-Sorry. Try again.”

“Foiled! Alas. Our minds, but not our purses, have been filled with untapped riches…”

I fear blindness is a plague that infects almost everybody that walks our globe. Not a blindness of sight, but a blindness of mind and emotion. It’s just as well that the prompt would be this, as I was pondering a plot point in one of my stories where somebody would have their mind forcibly opened.

Within the context, Spike has been heavily injured after a blow from a literal god, and is passing away. Now, within the story, I decided to fix him to expand into another plot point, but I did think about doing a death scene with him in it.

This may be the first topic I respond to, and I plan to make it a strong hitter. I’m not a very depressed writer, much preferring comedy, but I think sad is the tone to go for here.

———

Ordirus’s Final Blow.

The sun shines brightly outside, my orb of fire clearly not sensing what is really going on. All around, my ponies will go around their normal days, all without knowing of the sacrifices needed to get them to today. ‘Spike?’ They may ask ‘Who’s that?’. It will be sure they will sing the praises of the Elements, and that damned Prince when I tell them of what happened.

It wasn’t supposed to go like this... it wasn’t supposed to end so quickly. Even Twilight isn’t going to live forever, alicorn or not. But Spike was supposed to be different. An immortal dragon companion to accompany Luna and I throughout the millennia. He wasn’t supposed to die today, he wasn’t supposed to die until a million years had passed.

My time was so wasted when he was alive. I always assumed we would have thousands of years to bond, never tried enough. I was a fool, forsaking the chance to truly know him.

Now all that will stand beside me will be Luna and Chem, who will be too busy with each other to make time to talk. I truely stand all alone, to watch the world destroyed and be reborn once again. Discord, Pony Satan, they’ll both pass in time, just like Spike does now.

I watch his heart beat slowly flatline. Father’s- no, Ordirus’s injuries finally taking him away.

Time takes him away, just like it will everyone else. And I forsake the time I had with him.

Maybe... maybe I should try to get to know Pony Satan. Or Applejack, we’ve barely talked. Rarity, Rainbow, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Tartarus even Chem. Before time takes them away as well.

I peered forward at the vast array of blurry shapes ahead.

“Are we just about there?”

“We’re right at the mall now! Just go forward through that hallway…”

A pink leg pointed at a blur ahead. I nodded, and headed towards what quickly resolved itself into a wall.

“No, the hallway!”

“I can’t see, alright?”

“Well, I didn’t mean to step on your glasses!” An exasperated sigh came from beside me. “Here.”

“Eep!” I couldn’t see the stares as I was dragged forward, but they were undoubtedly there. Fortunately, we must not have been that far as I was plopped down in front of a familiar door. I gratefully pushed it open.

“Ah, Miss Spoon?” A familiar voice called out. “I was expecting you. Let us see about the fit, no?”

As the world resolved into crystal clarity, I resolved never to go without a spare pair of glasses again...

--Sweetie Belle

Loganberry
Group Admin

Just under 48 hours to go, everyone! Right now we have four entries once again -- can we get above that number for the first time in a little while?

I could create an alt and post under that, if you like? Or claim I have multiple personalities and post under this one anyway. :trollestia:

Although in all seriousness, for future events have you considered posting in the Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau, like Amereep suggested? It might be a good way to attract attention.

Going off of what Numbers said about my suggestion; I kinda took matters into my own hand and gave a shout out about this place in a few areas. Hope that was alright. :twilightsheepish:

About 9 members joined within the month and one of them gave this contest a whirl...... should we tell Chemtest about the word limit?

More shoutout is always better IMO!

I do think someone should tell’m, though... hi 6784152, looks like your entry is a bit over the word count limit :twilightsheepish:

Welp, dang, I am not good at writing short things. I did, however, edit it down. 150 words exactly.

———

Ponies will not know of the sacrifice made today. ‘Spike?’ They may ask ‘Who’s that?’. It will be sure they will sing the praises of the Elements, and that damned Prince when I tell them of what happened.

It wasn’t supposed to go like this, to end so quick. Even Twilight isn’t going to live forever, alicorn or not. But Spike was supposed to be different. An immortal companion to stand next to us.

My time was so wasted when he was alive. I was a fool, now he’s gone.

All that is left is Luna and Chem, and they’re to busy with each other to give time for me.

He slowly dies in front of me. Father’s- no, Ordirus’s injuries taking him away.

Maybe... maybe I should try to get to know Pony Satan. Or Applejack, we’ve barely talked. Rarity, Rainbow, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Tartarus even Chem. And appreciate them.

Okay, this might only have a loose tie to the theme, but it’s there if you squint... honest it is. :ajsmug:

This also probably makes more sense if you’ve read my story The Brief, Torrid Love-Affair of Fernando the Straw and Madame le Flour, though hopefully it scans reasonably well if you haven’t.

Bonfire of the Sanities

A heavy pounding startled Trixie out of both slumber and hammock. She tumbled facefirst and cursing to her wagon’s floor.

“It’s open,” she mumbled.

In burst Pinkie, panting, eyes and nostrils blazing like the dawn.

“All sales are final,” Trixie said automatically.

“Forget about the disappearing ink—I’m here about that dirty cheat Fernando!”

“Fer… who?”

“FERNANDO!” Pinkie whipped a fuzz-caked bendy-straw out from her mane. “And Sir Lintsalot! I caught them in flagrante delicto!

Trixie blinked. “That’s a straw with some lint stuck on.”

“Verily!” Pinkie swooned backwards onto a crate of fireworks. “And now Fernando’s erstwhile lover Madame LeFlour demands fiery vengeance for her slighted ardor!”

“The Great and Powerful Trixie isn’t licensed to sell pyrotechnics.”

Pinkie deflated. “Oh. Well… I suppose… the girls did warn me about getting overimaginative while they were out of town this weekend…”

“Sane advice,” Trixie grumbled.

Pinkie pronked away, humming.

Trixie’s grumbling intensified.

No Telling

"I feel like you might be taking my advice too seriously," Gallus said, examining the cards that Sandbar had just dealt to him.

"Yona not know what griffon mean," said an impenetrable curtain of yak hair. "Yona playing to win."

Gallus rolled his eyes. "I didn't mean literally hide your face. 'Poker face' just means 'don't give anything away'."

"Seems like a winning strategy to me," said Smolder, eyeing the cards in her claw before shoving them away. "I fold."

"But there's more to it than just... ugh, never mind," Gallus sighed, folding his cards too. "We're not even playing for real money anyway."

"Yona bet twenty counters," said Yona. "Yona think everycreature should fold. Yak hand too strong."

"If they fold, you don't make any money," Gallus noted. "Besides, you're out of turn. It's Ocellus' go. Ocellus?"

Ocellus raised her head to reveal a completely eyeless, featureless face.

"Aaaaaaaaagh!"

Loganberry
Group Admin

6780201 6782038 6788466 6800037 6800358 6800536

Time's up, folks! And yay, we got more than four entries this month, so a big thank you to everyone who helped make that happen. A hearty welcome to first-timer Chemtest, in particular. Cheers for the promo, Amereep. And yes, some shameless self-promotion might be a good idea once next month's prompt has been decided. I'll try to remember.

Usual procedure now. I'll go away (yay!) then after a couple of days I'll return (boo!) to announce the winner. Then that winner can choose the April prompt.

It's now Twilight Feedback Time! Carry on!

This is the best one
I'm not biased

Thanks! I decided on kinda a literal approach to it. Getting new glasses always has this moment of crystal clarity when you first put them on, and going without glasses sucks.

Of course, you wrote about best yak, and that is my favorite of the bunch.

Not that I'm biased, or head of the Yona group or anything...

--Sweetie Belle

Yay!

I like this one, and not just because it vaguely reminds me of Gilded Sister. The description of the OC's plight is satisfyingly concise and punchy and easily won me over.

I think I'm too uncultured to fully appreciate this one.

The lack of context made it difficult for me to appreciate this, I think. I don't know enough about the main character to properly empathize with them.

Oh so that's why Pinkie had to buy them in a back alley at midnight

Sleepy grumpy Trixie is best Trixie.

It was Celestia.

Ooooh, I didn't get that :) I was a bit thrown by the mention of "Pony Satan", since this sounds like something a human might say, rather than a pony.

Loganberry
Group Admin

6780201 6782038 6788466 6800037 6800358 6800536

Okay, everyone, results time! A really nicely varied selection from the six entrants, which is very nice to see. :twilightsmile: I thought quite hard about the winner this time, but it's going to be hawthornbunny. I like the Young Six, I like the dialogue and I like the ending. So... I like it! You know the form, I'm sure -- within the next couple of days, please give me your choice for the April prompt. (Edit: Post it in this thread, please.)

Congratulations! That was my pick for favorite entry, as I said...

--Sweetie Belle

I like this one, and not just because it vaguely reminds me of Gilded Sister. The description of the OC's plight is satisfyingly concise and punchy and easily won me over.

Never read it, but after giving the first chapter a chance, I can easily relate the girl to Sol (and majority of the other characters I have planed for that matter). But I doubt they view things the same; in fact, he's a villain.

Congrats on winning.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Gentle nudge. You need to pick the prompt for next time! :twilightsmile: (Assuming you want to, of course.)

Okie dokie! I choose the following prompt: "The Last Thing on the List".

Loganberry
Group Admin

Thank you! I'll get that thread put up on the 1st (Monday).

As always, discussion here can continue now if people like. :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26