The Gorgony Group 71 members · 21 stories
Comments ( 32 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 32
Robipony
Group Admin

Previously I had tried to do a story writing contest to encourage others to write stories for Gorgonies. Sadly only one person showed up, while many said they didn't have the time or that the original word count (which was 5,000 max) was too small. So I made some updates to the rules and I am extending the contest further to allow more people to participate and hopefully receive better results. :twilightsmile:

Rules:
1. In order to submit your story you must join the Gorgony Group and submit your story in the Gorgony Story Contest 2017 folder (because who knows, if it is any good I may try to make it an annual thing if I have the time).
2. Your story must be between 3,000 and 7,000 words long.
3. Your story must feature a gorgony, a pony like creature with snakes for hair and the ability to turn ponies and other such creatures into stone. Having the lower body be that of a snake isn't necessary but can be included if you wish. Feel free to look at the Gorgony Characteristics List in the group for ideas.
4. You also need to leave a post on the Sign In sheet with your name. This way I know who plans on participating. Simply follow this link and post your name. If you have already submitted a story to this contest then you only need to do this if you are submitting another story.
5. I will allow stories to have the sex tag so long as the sex in the story isn't explicit (or clop in other words).
6. No trollfics. These will be removed.
7. While it isn't necessary having a proofreader or editor look at your story before you submit it will increase the odds that it will win.
8. The maximum stories any single person can submit to this story is 3.
9. All submissions must be received by May 3rd.
10. Have fun writing your story.

The deadline is now May 3rd.

I will be reading the top 3 winners stories on my youtube. I may also work on some badges that the writers can put either at the end of the story or in the author notes to show that they won this contest.

How a Winner is Decided

The two other judges and I will read the stories and rate them by the following, with a 1-5 point system (5 being the best and 1 being the least).
-Was the story enjoyable?
-Did the story follow the guidelines of the contest?
-Did you enjoy the characters?
-Was the story well written?
-Would you like to see a sequel?

Once all the points are added up, each story will be given a ranking based off their points from all three judges.

---

Thank you all for reading this. I will be looking forward to seeing all your stories.

Robipony
Group Admin

Just a quick reminder that this contest ends on May 3rd meaning that you all now have one month to write and submit your stories. Remember to go to the sign in page to sign in (if you haven't already) so that I know that you are participating. :twilightsmile:

Robipony
Group Admin

May is almost upon us. For those of you who wish to submit your stories, I suggest that you try to do so as soon as possible.

Comrade Bagel Muffin
Group Contributor

5915495 After the contest closes how long will it take to find a winner?

Robipony
Group Admin

5921151 My fellow judges will hav to reach each story. Then after each story has been graded and all the points have been added up I will announce the winners.

Robipony
Group Admin

Now that the 3rd of May is going to be in two days, I figured I should post something on how the stories for this contest will be graded. See the original thread for details.

bahatumay
Group Contributor

So when exactly does the contest end? 11:59 pm on the third? Or 11:59 pm on the second and then judging begins on the third? And if so, which time zone are you going by?

Robipony
Group Admin

5930198 It will end at 11:59 PM on the third and then judging shall begin. Judging might take a while as I have been busy with a lot of college work as of late.

Thankfully I am not the only judge.

The contest ends on 11:59 of the third, correct? If so, what time zone? I just hope the mods will approve if it quickly, considering I'm finishing it right now... :unsuresweetie: Yes, I know I do things at last minute. :derpytongue2:

JackRipper

Look at all these scrubs who are doing things last minute. :rainbowlaugh:

I mean, that's fine I guess, more of an advantage for me. :unsuresweetie:

Robipony
Group Admin

5931281 If the mods aren't able to approve of it until after the time frame just let me know. Normally I wouldn't, but seeing as the mods here on FiMFiction can take a long time (seriously there are at least three stories I have posted here on FiMFiction tuesday morning only for them to appear the next morning), I am willing to let it slide.

5931315 I can understand people being busy, I am one of them. But yes, by finishing your story early you have had plenty of time to proofread, edit and improve your story, which does give you a bit of an advantage.

EDIT: Also I am going off of Pacific Time.

Alright thanks so much.

seriously there are at least three stories I have posted here on FiMFiction tuesday morning only for them to appear the next morning

That's long? My second story, originally 1.1K words, took... Well, I submitted it on a Sunday night. It only got approved on Wednesday night. That's a whole three days. :rainbowlaugh: Pretty ironic considering the length.

bahatumay
Group Contributor

Still at work and nowhere near done on either story; looks like I'm backing out of this contest. Maybe next time!

DeshLune
Group Contributor

I've had to wait about 76 hours for one of my stories...

And Robi is the contest at the "judging" phase now?

Is too late? I just finished I would turn it now but it's still in the approve mood.

Update aw damn it won't be approved until tomorrow will it *sigh* well next time

Robipony
Group Admin

5933263 If it is in by tomorrow before 12:00 (I'm being really nice), I will allow it.

Sadly all stories after 12:00 will be cut off from the contest. :ajsleepy: It isn't fair to all the people who have already submitted stories for me to postpone the deadline further then that.

5933254 It will be in the judging phase tomorrow. I will try to start reading the stories during my breakfast/lunch brakes during my clinical hours). :twilightsmile:

5932617 I am sorry to hear that. Depending on how things go with this contest, I may try to host another Gorgony contest with either a Halloween or Christmas theme later this year.

DeshLune
Group Contributor

Yay! Don't have another month to wait... sorry. v.v Can we turn in the Halloween or Christmas themed stories in early? I liked this contest, no matter the result. It was fun, and a pleasure to write for. ^^

Robipony
Group Admin

5933303 Thank you, it was a pleasure hosting this contest. :twilightsmile:

I will have to finish judging this contest and post the results before I can say for sure if I will be doing the next contest idea. I currently have a lot on my plate at the moment and to be honest I really should be in bed right now. :applejackconfused: lol. :rainbowlaugh:

DeshLune
Group Contributor

Trying not to look into Applejack's eyes... don't want to turn to stone, now do I? XD

Oh, right. Why did you extend the original deadline?

5933296 I got it on time yesterday but it was after 12:00 pm central time which an hour behind Eastern time. But you still think it's unfair I will remove myself from the contest and wait for another one.

Robipony
Group Admin

5933311 Because I'm being nice.

5933474 If you were able to submit it, then it is fine. Since a few participants weren't able to submit til last minute and we have to wait for mods to approve I am sort of extended the submission deadline to 12:00 this afternoon. If a story isn't in then, then people are out of luck.

I will start reading/judging today and I will let the other 2 judges know that they can start judging.

DeshLune
Group Contributor

You are nice. It went from what 3 stories to about 6. That is a major improvement. Well, have fun judging... that is one of the only times I wish to say that.

Comrade Bagel Muffin
Group Contributor

5933503 Let's do this again next year only make the deadline to june 8th since most all of us will be done with school and the likes?

Robipony
Group Admin

5942157 Sounds like a plan. :raritywink:

DeshLune
Group Contributor

Yay! This will happen next year as well. I shall look forward to it. ^^
And I won't get started on it now...

Comrade Bagel Muffin
Group Contributor

5942249 So what's the word?

Robipony
Group Admin

5975713 I apologize. Things have been pretty sucky with my life as of late and I have only been able to read 5 out of the 6 stories for this contest. Once I finish the 6th story I will consult with the other 2 judges, add up the scores and proclaim the winner(s).

Comrade Bagel Muffin
Group Contributor

5975722 D'accord I was just wondering, but I get it life can happen. Shoot I'm going to the county tomorrow it happens.

Robipony
Group Admin

So I finished reading and judging. Now I am just waiting to hear back from the other two judges.

DeshLune
Group Contributor

So we should be on the look out for the thread that will post the results?

Robipony
Group Admin

5992463 Indeed. Now I was hoping to hear back from the other judges about the results, but sadly only one of them has returned any of my messages and it seems they have been busy. So it might just be me posting my judging results. I just hope nobody thinks I'm jerk or anything.

So if I don't hear anything else by Wednesday then I shall post my results.

Sorry for taking so long with this. Life has been a mess for me as of last (as you can see by my blog) and on top of that I just graduated from the Pharmacy Technician program, so hopefully I have a little more time on my hands now.

Hopefully everyone will be content with the results.

DeshLune
Group Contributor

Congratulations on the graduation... (trying to stay positive. Is it working?)

I can't speak for everyone else, but I am willing to wait if it will give "better" results. And I won't think of you as a jerk (unless you give me the winning spot... just kidding... or am I?); and in all seriousness you held the contest and people joined. I, for one, am excited to have one of the contests I'm in reach the final stages. Win or lose I'm happy that I got to have fun. ^^

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 32