The Authors' Cafe 226 members · 1,759 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

(I made this post in Struggling Authors, but I'm repeating it here because it seems no one care the first time around)

More used in poetry, ekphrastic writing is a form of writing that focuses on depicting another form of art, usually visual, to convey a deeper significance of that art form itself. For example, a mural or mosaic could be referred to as a "landscaped wall," or a picture can be referred to as an "imprisoned moment."

Expanding these phrases into motifs is particularly useful for giving short stories a bit of impact in every paragraph, but it can also be a motif that is found throughout longer works. Why do this? Say I have a short story, about 20 thousand words long, that focuses on Photo Finish on one of her photo shoots. Maintaining the idea of pictures being "imprisoned moments" changes the connotation of the imagery used to describe the photos. No matter how organized and well lit they are made to seem, "imprisoning" the visage of the ponies undoubtedly sows uneasy connotations into the reader, especially if you combine this with circumlocution, the technique of describing things with an unnecessarily excessive amount of words and detail.

Now, I could go on, but I'm trying to make much shorter lectures. For whatever reason, I think people don't want to read my 7+ paragraph lectures. So, leave a comment if you like this topic and would like to learn how to develop your skills even further in writing.

I am doing all I can to develop my skills as a writing and this is the first time I've heard of this method. I'm not sure given the nature of my work if it could be used to great effect, or any if I'm to be honest. But it is one more thing to keep in mind and the more I learn the better.

This seems very interesting I would like to learn how to do that please PM me

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3