The Shipshelf 35 members · 92 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

I know this might seem a very silly question, but does 'ship' actually have to involve romance? Especially during the first chapters. I ask because I would like to think the best 'ships' are the ones hidden and developed with gradual slow intent. You're looking for one hint per chapter in the beginning, but then something takes off!

To surprise a reader with a sudden and unexpected shift to romance when it starts slow, I know can be tedious, but going straight into the romance just isn't my style if I was to write a 'shipfic'.

DeshLune
Group Admin

The ship must be present at one point of the story; though it should be at the point of being submitted to the group. That is my thoughts though... I don't know if the others agree with it.

randome284
Group Admin

5874004 I agree with DeshLune, I think that still counts as a shipfic. Just make sure the romance happens by the time the story is submitted into the group.

Mellow Mirth
Group Admin

does 'ship' actually have to involve romance?

Yes. For a story to be a 'Shipfic' and to be submitted to the group, it must be romantic, to portray two or more characters forming a relationship. But... Don't think that you have to rush into it. Just do what you think is best for your writing style. As long as there is some romance involved, do your thing. Submit any story to the group as long as its got the romance tag, its irrelevant if the actual story is at the point of romance yet or not.

I would like to think the best 'ships' are the ones hidden and developed with gradual slow intent.

I would agree to this. Never rush it. (Depending on what you want to produce.) The best fics in this category, in my opinion, start with a slow and low burn, gradually working into a fire between the involved party. Exposing emotions, motives, and past obstacles is also important to a shipfic. (Of the lengthy variety.) Sometimes it can be a subtle transition into romance. Take this fic for example: Eyes On You, By UnlicensedBrony -Mirth

K. I've got a 'shipfic' in mind, but I'll keep what you said in there too and I won't submit the story to this group until romance is noted. Still, there's a little conflict. Does a small gasp of appreciation of another's beauty count? I wonder, just how small the hint can be and still count as romance.

DeshLune
Group Admin

As Mellow Mirth is our Lord and Master it will be better to bring that one up with them. Sorry I can't help more.

Mellow Mirth
Group Admin

:twilightsmile:5874042 My Reply above should help tell of what you seek. You can add a story you want anytime, it just needs to have, and stay true to, the 'romance' tag. That's all. -Mirth

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7