The Shipshelf 35 members · 85 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Mellow Mirth
Group Admin

A big hello to the older members of the Shelf, and a big welcome to the new ones! Thanks for joining us. You all make my day. :twilightsmile:

I got something to ask all of you. How do you get settled in to start writing?

To be more specific... Do you listen to any music? What snacks to you bring if any? How long do you like to make your writing sessions last? Do you talk in character to help the flow? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Well, thanks for taking a peek. I'm off to go read. Till next time -Mirth

DeshLune
Group Admin

Thank you, I'm glad I joined yesterday... it should be a blast. As to your questions, it is rather simple for me... since I am simple.

Do you listen to any music?

Yes, generally I listen to the Hamilton broadway musical play, or a JoCo(Jonathon Coulton) concert, specifically "Best. Concert. Ever." both of which can be found on YouTube. If not those two than whatever ends up playing on Pandora Radio. And if not that fun YouTube songs that I manage to find.

What snacks to you bring if any?

Not always... I get distracted by the food most of the time, but when I do it is really just junk food; Popcorn, Potato Chips, or any other candy I coerced from friends.

How long do you like to make your writing sessions last?

This really depends on the amount of sleep I get; if I get my "normal" 2 hours than I write for periods of 8 hours, though it is off and on during the entire time... so the exact time spent can't really be counted.

Do you talk in character to help the flow?

Sometimes even in public, which can be weird as of late, since I've started working on some Clop stories...

I would like to hear about you now. ^^

Most of the time, I just kinda sit down and write. Focusing isn't usually much of a problem for me, so I'm not terribly interesting here :twilightblush: I do have a tendency to drink Monster energy drinks while writing. It's not really for the caffeine or anything, it's just because I love them so it's like a reward for writing. I had sorta hoped I would create a link in my mind between Monster and creativity so that when I did have problems with creativity I'd able to drink Monster and jumpstart it, but it didn't really work so well :applejackunsure:

Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I find lyrics distracting. Instrumental music can help (a lot of video game soundtracks, sometimes film soundtracks). I'd like to find some foreign language music to listen to, but my music tastes are odd and hard for others to hone in on, so I've never been able to get great recommendations there. When I do listen to music with lyrics, I tend to like atmospheric stuff (Pink Floyd, A Perfect Circle, etc.) or stuff to get a certain mood (Brand New usually for one story, really folky stuff like Mumford and Sons for another). Offen, though, I'll just write in silence, or while making occasional conversation with my girlfriend as she's doing whatever she might be doing in the same room.

I write as long as I can. Usually once I really into the zone I'll just keep writing until it's time for bed. It's just getting into the zone that can take a while lol. My longest was about sixteen hours of writing, but six to eight is probably more typical. I don't read out loud until after everything's all done, and then I do as part of editing (it definitely helps figure out things that only really sounded good in my head).

One thing that helps me get in the right mood is being at the right place. I write on a laptop, so I could write anywhere in my house, but I find sitting at an actual desk helps very much with the creativity. It's a pretty basic psychological effect; sitting on my couch puts me in a lounging mindset, sitting at a desk puts me in a productive one. I'm far more likely to wander off to browse Tumblr or Fimfiction if I'm sitting at my couch.

Mellow Mirth
Group Admin

I would like to hear about you now.

Cool. I am happy to oblige. (I don't know why I didn't include what I do in the first place. :rainbowderp::rainbowlaugh:)

I should start by saying that I don't have a fic out yet. (obviously.) But I am currently working on my first. Have been for a time now. Mostly O.C. based when it comes to the characters. Should have the first few chapters done relatively soon, just looking for a bit more inspiration. Other then that, most of my time is spent commenting, reviewing, and blogging.

Music: Always. I don't have to be typing something up, I'm pretty much constantly jamming to a song. But when I am writing, I like to play Lofi Beats Live Stream. 5852329 you should check it out as well, its all Instrumentals. Other then Lofi, I can listen to anything. But country. Just cant vibe to it I suppose.

Snacks: To be honest, If its not chips or Sourpatch Kids, its gunna be fireball whisky. Love the stuff. I can be stuck in an idea rut, then come blasting out of it after a shot or two. The only issue with it is that eventually you lose the ability to write. :rainbowlaugh: That's why its chips most of the time. (the wasabi ginger kind.)

Length of sessions: I'm kinda lazy. If I'm blogging, I will probably just do that one blog, then laze out. The rest of the night will be reading, commenting, and taking notes for the next review. If I'm working on 'The Purpose of an Hourglass', it all depends on how the day went, but most likely three to four hours. Possibly five.

Talking in character: Guilty. :twilightblush: And If I have had to much Fireball, I get waaayyyy more into it and basically start acting. Solstice tells me its a riot. :rainbowlaugh: (My Other half in real life.)

Annnd ya. That's about it. Thanks for asking! -Mirth

DeshLune
Group Admin

Sixteen hours... wow. I wish I could have sixteen hours to just write. Weekends I guess, but that is for catching up on the sleep that I practically avoid during the week. Getting into the zone is very useful, it can be the deciding factor in total time one writes after all. Like finding out I'll be late because I was far too focused. I believe the longest I did was about thirteen hours... I might be wrong.

I have trouble with country as well, just doesn't feel right to write with. And if you need an Editor let me know... I've been making more and more small mistakes, but I try to function with actual sleep while editing. Currently I am offering for free, though I might start doing a "favor swap" or something along that line.

I wish I could say I had a set way of getting into the groove. Unfortunately, every time I write I find it takes a different approach. Sometimes I need music, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I have to listen to one song on repeat for the entire time I write. The common threads would be: get comfy, quiet room, and cut out distractions.

My writing sessions go anywhere from an hour to all day. Again, it varies on a number of fluctuating factors.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6