The Oversaturated World 589 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 1648 )
  • Viewing 801 - 850 of 1,648

That would explain Artie's incredulity about it.

Still, I don't think it merits editing the comment; since the point of his mention was that he didn't get AJ off entirely, when someone who might have been actually competent at law probably could have argued it away, or at least cited some law that would have protected her.

"Fire Guard!" Chronicler shouted, his biomechanical friend dumped unceremoniously to the floor. The red aura of fear visibly clung to his armor, only dissipating as Chronicler fell to his knees, hefting his friend's masked face into his arms.

"I was supposed to make the sacrifice," Chronicler said, his voice threatening tears. Fire Guard tried to laugh, but only managed a weak wheeze as his heart-light beat erratically.

"No, the Duty was mine," He managed to say, weakly grabbing the mask out of his satchel- that Spirit-damned masked that dragged him and his friend all across the island on a fool's quest- and now he was going to die.

But Fire Guard had one last thing to do, before he would let the Great Spirit cart him to the end of his Destiny.

"You know who you are, Chronicler," he said, weakly placing the mask in his friend's hands as is glowed to the touch.

"You were always.... different..."

As Fire Guard took his last breath, a wave of sorrow threatened to consume Chronicler. His friend- he wasn't even supposed to BE here! Chronicler only dragged him along because he was afraid of his Duty- and now he was gone.

Chronicler would not let his sacrifice be in vain.

He stood, turning to glare at the trio of the Shadow's sons as the Element Warriors tried to keep them at bay. They were struggling, Wild Fire's mask of shielding buckling under the sons' destructive powers.

With grim determination, Chronicler took the Mask of Light and placed it upon his face.

With a flash, the young Mechronical felt the power the mask contained flow inside him- changing him to suit his newfound Destiny.

Where once a mere villager stood, there was now a golden armored Elemental Warrior, shining brilliantly in the setting sun.

"I am Chronicler- the Warrior of Light!"

Applejack nodded, her eyes closed and friends gathered around her as they continued to watch the film.

"Gets me every time," she said, crying on the inside.

"I can't believe they made a movie out of a toy," Dash said, munching on a fistful of popcorn, "Seems like a total sellout thing to do."

Pinkie snorted back a giggle and ruffled Dash's hair.

"Oh, ye of little faith, you know not what you say."

"I just can't get over how much Fire Guard sounds like my brother," Twilight said, as Sunset held her close.

"It is pretty uncanny," Sunset nodded.

"Please, everyone- pipe down during the dramatic moments," Rarity said, and AJ nodded her wordless thanks as the teens continued their movie.

(The scene, of course, being Jaller's sacrifice from the Bionicle: Mask of Light movie, starring Andrew Francis as the late captain of the guard:

)

"I just can't get over how much Fire Guard sounds like my brother," Twilight said, as Sunset held her close.
"It is pretty uncanny," Sunset nodded.

"Well that was an interesting movie," Twilight mused. "It's a bit flawed on its own, but still decent--it feels like the mythos was watered down for younger audiences. I get the feeling a lot of this would make more sense if I followed the toyline?"

"Eeeyup."

"I liked the animals," Fluttershy mused. "I mean, I know I like all animals, but the way these were both machine and animal was interesting."

"That giant crab was... especially interesting," Rarity mused. "I'm not sure why, but I think I'd like one... in purple, though.

"And the animation quality was pretty impressive. Alright, I can see how--SWEET SCIENCE PAUSE IT!!"

"Why?" Rainbow asked. "It's just the credits--"

"GO BACK GO BACK!"

Applejack blinked, rewinding. "Uh, what's got you in a knot, sugarcube?"

"It can't be. It just--Sweet science, he did. He actually--" Twilight pulled out her phone, dialing rapidly.

Sunset glanced at the screen, blinked twice, and quirked an eyebrow. "Sokath, his eyes uncovered."

"Nerdspeak." Rainbow rolled her eyes. "Great."

"Hello? Hey BBBFF, question--WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YOU VOICED A ROBOT MIDGET?!"

Shining did a lot of odd jobs to pay for college/police academy, it seems
Either that or I just... guess he's a part time actor now??? This is just part of the Oversaturated canon?

Guess who voiced Serpent Whisper in the second sequel.

I think this particular ponified reference just flew a country mile over my head (Is it Roodaka? I'm betting it's OG Bug queen yeah isn't it)

Does Shining Armor have an IMBD?

The roof of Sunset’s warehouse had a spectacular view of the setting sun, and Twilight and Sunset were taking a rare opportunity to just cuddle up together and enjoy the view.

“You know what one of the worst things about being God is?” murmured Sunset in Twilight’s ear.
“How rarely we get to do this?” suggested Twilight, giving Sunset a squeeze.
“I was actually thinking of the fact that I don’t have anyone to trust in,” said Sunset. “Back before I came here, I had the Princess to look up to. No matter how scary things got, I knew that she was in charge, and so everything would turn out ok. Which, come to think of it, is probably part of why I went so… off my rocker… when I came over here. When you think that someone you trust that absolutely has betrayed you, it really upends your world. But the point is, now that’s me. I’m the one that everyone on the planet trusts to make sure that everything turns out right. But that means that if I make a mistake, there’s nobody who will fix it.” Sunset laughed bitterly. “The fate of the world in my hands, just like I wanted way back before the other Twilight smacked me down. They say to be careful what you wish for…”

FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

"Sunset, you wound me." Both girls looked around for the source of the voice. It became clear when the setting sun opened its eyes. Mr. Discord hoisted himself out of it and, in an eye-watering twist of perspective not at all helped by doing it in front of the sun, placed himself a few feet in front of them. "Do you really think I would allow you to make some trivial error that would annihilate the universe?"

Sunset gave him a flat glare. "We're kind of having a moment here."

"Of course you are. Honestly, just being near you two makes my skin crawl these days." Mr. Discord pulled up a sleeve, revealing tiny mouths crying out "The harmony! The harmony!"

Both girls blanched. Purple magic tugged his sleeve back down. "Could you please never do that again, sir?" said Twilight.

Mr. Discord dipped his head in acknowledgement. "My apologies. Too much time around the sirens; Sonata finds that sort of thing amusing. And I meant no offense. It's an involuntary reaction to the warm fuzzies you two radiate." He ruffled Sunset's hair, making his hand smoke. "Rest assured, Sunset, you may not have anyone further up the totem pole, but you do still have someone else keeping an eye on the integrity of all things. I'll let you two get back to your evening together." He dropped out of view.

Sunset peeked over the edge. No sign of the man. "I... guess that was reassuring?"

"Honestly, I think his social skills have actually improved since the world changed."

"That's disturbing on several levels."

(Sorry for ruining your contemplative piece, Void, but Mr. Discord insisted. :derpytongue2:)

"Got a secret, can you keep it?" Sunshine Smiles sang, a serene smile on her face as her eyes became blacker than black. "Swear this one you'll save. Better lock it, in your pocket, taking this one to the grave~"

The unicorn aspect continued to walk around the fidgeting boy, that same smile on her face even as he started sweating. "If I show you, then I know you won't tell what I said. 'Cause two can keep a secret, if one of them is dead~" A barely heard melody faded away as Sunshine finished her song, still smiling brightly as her eyes returned to their normal lime-green. Smoothing her turquoise dress, she turned back to the boy and raised her eyebrow at him. "We have an understanding, then?"

"Y-yeah," he stuttered, gulping and sweating as his eyes darted around. Sunshine's smile did nothing to soothe him, especially when she leaned toward him. "I-I promise, I won't tell about this!"

"Good!" Sunshine replied, as chipper as ever, and held out a hand for him to shake. "Just one more thing to do~" She continued to smile, her hand waiting for the boy's.

Gulping audibly again, the boy gingerly took her hand, and almost cried out when their hands were both enveloped in darkness. It only lasted a moment though, and Sunshine was already pulling away by the time his mind had processed what had just happened.

"Remember, it's a secret~," she singsonged. "I'll know if you don't keep your promise~."

The boy nodded, taking a step back, then another, then he quickly turned and took off at a sprint, leaving the smiling girl in his wake.

Sunshine Smiles giggled as she turned away, happily skipping away herself, only to be stopped when she found another unicorn aspect in her way. "Oh! Hey sis~" Sunshine grabbed her older (by a few minutes) twin sister in a hug, while the blueish-grey girl just stood there. "What's up?"

"Was that really necessary?" Moonlight Raven asked, her voice a flat monotone that contrasted her sister's in much the same way everything about her did.

"I always hug my big sister~"

"That's not what I meant, and you know it." Moonlight looked past Sunshine, just barely able to see the boy still running away in fright. "You didn't have to do that to him."

"Oh, silly sis," Sunshine giggled, booping Moonlight on the nose. "Of course I did. I can't have Sunset showing up and ruining things for me." She... didn't stop smiling, but her eyes still seemed to narrow in a glare. "You remember your promise too, don't you?"

Moonlight simply raised an eyebrow. "I remember, Sunshine. I won't tell her what you're up to."

"Good!" Sunshine was already back to being traditionally happy, skipping along the sidewalk. "Lets go get some lunch, Sis. My treat!"

Moonlight watched her sister skip along for a moment, before fingering the copy of Sunset Shimmer's Icon in her pocket. I promised I wouldn't tell her what you were up to, Sunshine, she thought. But, that's all I promised I wouldn't tell her.

Rarity groaned in frustration, slamming her magazine down on the lunch table. "Gods damn it!"

"I'd really rather not," Sunset said, taking a bite out of her meal.

Realizing that her outburst was a major faux pas when seated at the same table as God (even if you were one of her best friend), Rarity found herself blushing furiously. "I'm sorry, Sunset, I'm just a little frustrated at the moment."

"Over a magazine," Rainbow Dash questioned, an eyebrow raised. "Is this like Twilight and her nerdy-"

"Not nerd, geek!" Twilight interrupted.

"Whatever! That fanfic she spazzed out about and ended up making out with Sunset over?"

"Hardly," Rarity grumbled, glaring down at the pages before her, featuring several dresses and suits that had been designed by what the magazine described as 'up and coming talent'. "I've been trying to get my foot in the door of the fashion industry for years now; and I thought I had a chance recently, when I almost got a chance to meat with Prima Dona herself." When this was meant with blank stares from all her friends, she sighed. "She's one of the largest private retailers of clothing in the country; she's my shot at the big time!" The fashionista slumped in her chair pushing the magazine away. "But, I can't compete with all these other retailers."

Fluttershy picked at the salad on her tray. "Um... why not?"

"I'm a small, privately owned boutique in a big city," Rarity explained. "I simply don't have the funds to pull of some sort of publicity stunt. It's not enough to be good, you have to find some way to stand out. And, short of asking Sunset to compromise her principles and put in a good word for me, I don't know how to stand out."

"Maybe we could hand out fliers," Pinkie said. "Ooh, or have a party to show them off, ooh, or-"

"It's a nice sentiment, dear, but it still wouldn't be enough. I've had plenty of local parties and, while it does help with my sales, it still isn't enough to get me noticed." Rarity sighed, resting her head on her arms despondently. "I need something... big."

Rainbow's fork paused halfway into her mouth, a mischievous smirk slowly spreading across it. "Something 'big', huh?" The rainbow haired girl turned to look at the one person at their table that hadn't contributed anything to the conversation.

Applejack, pausing as she held an apple from her farm in her hand, looked at Rainbow, only for her eyes to widen in realization. "Oh no, no way. There is no way Ah-"

---------------

"Ah can't believe Ah got talked into this...."

"Oh, relax, Applejack, dear," Rarity said, making a few last minute alterations to the green dress her friend was wearing. "You look absolutely lovely."

A blush spread across the farmer's face, unnoticed by Rarity as she worked. "O-oh, thanks, Ah guess..."

"You're quite welcome," she replied, an equally hidden blush in place as she finished her work on the hem. "And thank you; as much as I'm loath to admit it, Rainbow Dash's plan might just be crazy enough to work. Or, at the very least, get them talking." She finished up, and took a breath to calm herself before standing up. "Now! I'm going to have a word with the camera crew; I want to make sure they capture your best side. You can start getting ready, just remember the tips I gave you."

Applejack sighed to herself as Rarity rushed away, climbing a ladder to a platform built of scaffolding. Really, if anyone else had asked her to do this, she would have refused like a broken record. But she just couldn't turn away Rarity when she turned on the social charms. "Damn it," she muttered under her breath, then touched the charm on her wrist.

The dress that Rarity had made to accent both her natural curves, as well as her toned physique, scaled up with her as she grew, the colored mana infused as much into the fabric as it was with her. When she stood as tall as a nearby building, she turned to the platform and struck one of the modeling poses that Rarity had insisted she learn. "Okay, ready whenever you are."

-----------

One month later

Rarity practically squealed in delight as she looked at the same publication that had caused her so much frustration the previous month. It wasn't much, only a single image on a single page, but the image of Applejack, nearly one hundred feet tall and wearing one of her dress designs, was surely enough to get people talking at least.

(Wanted to add more to this, but couldn't think of anything past this point.)

Fuckin ACES, my dude! I love this!

Just as a note: I would appreciate it if all the Color Casters were at least nominally on the side of good. I mean, I like Sunshine Smiles being amoral and happy to a sociopathic degree, but I don't want her going full Cupcakes on us. Maybe just half Cupcakes.

To be fair, I do have a moment of Heel Realization planned for her. So she'll probably end up at least nominally good.

Problem with that is that which colors of mana you can draw on is influenced by your personality. So you can't draw on Black without being at least somewhat amoral.

FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

5948156 5948238
Yeah, black heroes tend towards the more pragmatic end of things. They save the world because that's where they keep all their stuff, and to say they did.

Also, stuff going up now that I'm back from visiting my grandmother for Mother's Day.

FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

It was a fairly common scene. A man was so intent on his destination that he didn't watch where he was going and stubbed his toe on a jutting chunk of sidewalk.

His response was also common, or at least had become so since the world changed: "Ow! Sunset dammit."

What followed was much less common, a sigh followed by a voice saying, "Really?"

Corner Office scowled at the girl, only to back up a step when he realized just who she was. "Uh..."

"I mean," said Sunset, "I like to think of myself as pretty laid back. I much prefer forgiving and redeeming to trapping someone in a place they can't escape from, without certain aspects of life they've taken for granted. Speaking from experience, the first one works out a lot better in the long run."

"Uh..."

"And then there's the logistics of it. Even if I had somewhere I could damn people to—heads up, I don't—what would go there? The sidewalk? The tree whose roots are pushing it up? You for ramming your foot into it? There just doesn't seem to be a viable damning target here."

Corner licked his lips and decided a third uh wasn't the best way to converse with a deity. "Sorry?"

"It's fine. I know you didn't mean it, it just gets frustrating after a while. Also, smile."

"Why?"

Sunset panned a hand across the street, where at least half a dozen youths were glancing back and forth between the two of them and assorted mobile devices. "Because we're probably already on at least two forms of social media."

"I have over fifty reblogs already!" added one boy.

(I've been meaning to write this one for a while, but one of SaintAbsol's stories from the last batch spurred me on.)

One evening, Sunset Shimmer appeared in Twilight's bedroom looking rather bedraggled, and promptly proceeded to flop down on the bed.

"Long day?"

"Apparently we've moved up from mythical figures to mythical locations."

"Wha- Oh. Oh my."

"It's still submerged, but it's actually there to find now. Pain in the neck easing it in, not to mention the water displacement."

"Well at least it's over now." Twilight paused, hand halfway to her girlfriend's shoulder, "Er, it is over, right?"

"For now, but I looked the planet over once I was done, and there are more magical patterns just like the one that preceded this one all over the place. Looks like the next one is going to be in the Irish Sea."

Twilight set her hand on Sunset's shoulder. "Well, it looks like we have some research to do... Tomorrow."

Rules for Mythical Locations:
1.) Must be located on or inside of Earth.
A.) Underground locations must be deep enough or be small enough to be structurally sound.
2.) Must not be able to be easily correlated with an existing real life location, or another, previously introduced,
mythical location.
3.) Do not show locations which would require an M rating. Mentioning that they exist is one thing, actually taking
us there is another.

"So, if I believe REALLY HARD, then would you-"

"Rainbow Dash, for the LAST TIME I DO NOT WANT A FLOATING LOOKOUT, YOU ARE NOT A SUPER HAYAN, AND THIS IS NOT DRAGON PEARL X."

"Yeesh! Fine! Okay! Jeeze..."

"You're off your meds again, aren't you?"

Sour Sweet blinked, looking away from the empty playground she had been staring at as Sweeten Sour came to join her on the bench. Scowling at her sister, Sour defiantly turned away. "I'm fine, Sweeten."

"That's a 'Yes' then," Sweeten said with a quiet sigh. "You know Mom doesn't like you skipping."

Sour just scoffed at that. "Mom doesn't like a lot of things I do."

"It's also not healthy." That, Sour Sweet didn't have a counterargument to. "We both know how out of control your hallucinations can get, especially with magic involved."

"They're not out of control," she respond, clenching her fist. "I'm fine for the moment."

That just made Sweeten Sour sigh with a bit more force behind it, her posture sagging just a bit. "I know you like when Bitter Honey comes around, Sour, but you're treading dangerous waters when you do this."

Sour Sweet flinched, her eyes looking away from her imaginary daughter as she played about on the playground equipment. "I just... don't want her to go away for good."

"That might be a better outcome in the long run."

Sour Sweet rounded on her sister, their faces only inches apart; hers a mask of rage, while Sweeten Sour's was perfectly calm. "HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?!"

Not deterred in the slightest by Sour Sweet's outburst, Sweeten Sour calmly stood up from the bench, and cast her gaze outward to a swing that had just started to move on its own. "Because, Sour, I can see her too now."

(I have no idea what is going on here, it just popped into my head)

...wait Sour Sweet has a sister?

Well, her hallucinations did manifest before... Add some PowerOfLove or something, this could work sweetly. Pun semi-intended.

It could, yes... Sweeten Sour's more concerned about what happens if it doesn't.

"Wheeeeeeeeeee!"

"Chitter-rach get down from--!"

"Splip-ip-ip-ip!"

"Bitenaught that is not a toy!"

"Ooo oo lookit lookit lookit!"

"Yes, Klikli, that is very nice looking, I'm sorry but I have to get some--OH GEEZE!"

Celestia leaned to the side as she entered the room, quirking an eyebrow as a tissue box went flying past her ear. "Having trouble?"

"You could say that," came the exasperated reply of the plum woman in the center of the room. "I don't know what's gotten into them, but--Slithert no, we do NOT bite tails!"

"But Sqeeekums started it!"

"I don't care who started it, Slithert, you don't bite people! Ever!" She threw up a hand, turning back to the principal. "I don't know..."

"Need some help?"

"Can you get them under control?"

Celestia smiled serenely, took a deep breath...

...and began to glow.

The chaos around the room slowly lessened, the various inhabitants staring in awe and slowly putting down whatever they had in their paws.

Celestia let her glow drop. "Now then. Everyone?"

"Yes miss shineshineshine?"

"When I saved you from the mean scientist, I wanted you to have a nice happy life. And miss Cheerilee here has volunteered to help you learn what you need to learn. Do you think you can be nice and try to do what she says?"

"But miss shineshineshine, miss words smells like grass! That's boring!"

Cheerilee balked. "This is about how I smell?!"

"Well, I'll make sure she smells more interesting later," Celestia promised. "For now, though, you should listen to her, okay?"

"Okay miss shineshineshine." The green rat nodded. "If you say so."

Cheerilee took a breath. "...Thanks, Celestia. I don't know if--"

"Uhp-uhp-uhp! You have a class to teach... miss words." With a little grin, Celestia walked out the door.

5947765 Cool! Lol!

Typos:

Faux pas

Prima Donna

On Mobile, flaky wifi, so sorry for the terseness.

Creepy!

Promise Powers not just for Pinkie!

But, they're both Black, so that fits?

FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

5953194 5953196
I'm not sure how compatible the twins are with what we're borrowing from Nico-Stone Rupan, but I don't think we've concretely pinned down Sour's home life. Provided that that's uncertain, this can work.

Having only followed the Oversaturated world (though not having read Unfriendly Competition) I didn't even know about Second Person or Bitter Honey until Reid's chapter and the subsequent binge through Nico's stories I've been in the middle of since locating them. I don't believe that Sour's family has come up, and I've always liked the idea of there being some sort of connection between her and the background human that people call Sweeten Sour.

So, from my knowledge, none of this is directly contradicted by anything else in Oversaturated canon. However, if you really feel that it's a major issue, you can just label it as entirely non-canon like you did with the Indigo Zap short.

I'm in the middle of writing a conversation entirely in Wavetongue. There are eighteen lines and I've about finished... three.

WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF boredom mostly

If it's just a cypher, then you could just run it through a translator. Programming one in Python might be easier than writing out the wavetongue manually...

I wonder how many magic concepts the sirens share with Equestrian Changelings, and Equestrians in general. Sunset could translate them??

It's not just a cypher. There's a grammatical arrangement, the number system is different, I had to come up with a word for hand that could have evolved from a sea-dwelling species' linguistics...

Woah! Detail level is awesome!

I'm about halfway done. Might have something for next week.

5955042 wait a gosh dang diddly darn moment there, Tolkien- are you saying that you're making a conlang for the Oversaturation 'verse's dolphins?

No, I'm saying I'm making a conlang for sirens/seaponies in general.

Well shoo-bee my doo...

Surprisingly, my--as in how it is spelled--is not a valid world in wavetongue. If you really wanted to claim an object, the closest translation would be leybli, leyblr, leyblv, leyblu, or leyblo--depending on how your identifying yourself at the time--either casual-neutral, aggressive, sarcastic, deeply intimate, or believing yourself to be doomed.

And it's Shoo be doo, bee has not been assigned a meaning yet (although it is a potential word).

Ah- alright, "shoo be leyblo doo", then

Conlangs are absolutely fascinating to me I do hope some kind of dictionary is made available I would LOVE to include some of this in MSMSAM

I think it would be "Shoo be doo bo leybli", actually. Or maybe "Shoo be doo bo leyblv," if you're aiming for sarcasm. Leyblo is really, really serious. Like, "I'm about to die" serious.

What 'is' "Shoo be doo"??

5956097 an accurate description of my entire life TBH

5956109 also yeah what exactly am I taking ownership over in my imminent demise

Shoo be doo, shoo shoo be doo
Deep oh heart, deep deep oh heart
Oh deep heart, oh deepest of hearts

Basically it's either magic or god.

Huh. I feel like there's something unintentionally deep about the way I was using it.

5954478 5956109 5956118
Okay, so: I've finally finished my Wavetongue snip. So what I'm going to do is this: In this post, I will post the untranslated "Sirens are speaking Wavetongue" conversation. Then I'll post the literal translation in the next post, and the proper translation after that. That way, when FOME puts it up in Percipitation, he only has to directly post the following, and can link to the two other posts in the Author's Note. Okay? Okay.
-----
A Conversation In Wavetongue

"Glii shiisiichiri. Riieiimm su."

Aria quirked a brow. "Oosh ke si re riie Shupliipireii?" she inquired.

"Bii eemm bli eepl eebl siichiiri wepere ke yiyishumee bii riie Shupliipireii eetl eebl zhvpefii," Adagio replied. "Mmriz bli zhmmreii zhsi wee."

Sonata perked up. "Shoopemmruii gliim wee bo Sirenn?"

"Zhshoo gliim wee..." Adagio took a breath. "Mmreii. Kepere si.... Oobl glimm kepere si. Oopl glimm. Glimm, mmv gliim riie blu... bu Glimpyshriivch."

Aria rolled her eyes. "Shoo be zhii. Leey si yi gliimpeglimm shush bo zhleeyiish si eekeekleepleepleepl shupliieeblri yi eetl tliiru. Eech ke wee bi leyki, Mmoopirei? Zhirr ke kv zhke si roiimm Sirennri?"

"Ke wee bu zhke wee, Reipirenn, ru ke wee...." The yellow girl sighed. "Re heesh bli ru siiriiizh si bo leysupeshumee."

Silence filled the room for a moment or two.

"Siiriiizh shumee bo Zhuplireiischrii?" Sonata's voice wavered. "Blu... Mmoopirei, we gliim gliim leey leysi--"

"Gliim gliim leey leyki. Ke kv bi shuro Reiipivzheerv, bi zhmmrei wii." Aria shuddered. "Mmreei bli, bii mmrei ki shoopereiri, iih Shupliipirei?"

"Be mmrei bli. Iib ke ki boo chooru bli--"

"Eech kooiish Sirennri?" Adagio interjected. "Eepl shi bi wopesiiriiiish si, mmreei bli. Shoomm ree mmrieeiish Kiirrpigli bo si bi mmreei mmrurii bo shoopereiri. Ke Sirennri gliim gliim bo kiizh? Ru kooshiish shi, gliim bo reei zhbii rie shi bo Sirennri? Klii ke si bi zhmmrei si?"

The other two shared a look.

"Iir..." Sonata fidgeted. "Re riie si eekeekleepleepleepl shupliieebl yi tliiru. Iig... hooshiish ki hoo si boo chooru si... mmrei si ooch koosh siichiipereiiri oozh siichiipehooshrmri bo koosh leyshi."

Aria took a breath. "Mmrei ki," she said slowly, "iip mmrie si shoomm bee siirii Kiirrpigli wee bo ki... ru mmrih kv zhgii mmriv zi boo riie kv, mmreei blv."

"Iiz mmrie si bee mmrie Glipikiizh zi," Sonata pointed out. "Iiz mmrie si bee mmrie Reiipivzheerv bee mmrie Glipikiizh zi."

Adagio clenched her fists. "Klo shoogli wee. Bee mmrie shi sirii wee shoo bi shooru si..."

The room fell silent once again.

Eventually, Adagio sighed. "Iir mmrei bli roiish mmriieiish si. Iib heesh blu, boo kooiish koorii... yi ke shesh. Heesh bli shoorr ree heesh si, glipetliiruri yr bo eebl. Roo sheeshiich su. Iih?"

"Iih." Aria nodded, glanced around, and steadied herself. "Be shuplii mmriie si, rmm sheesh si."

"Ru leyshumee ke shuploo, be ke keiich shuplii," Sonata murmured.

A conversation in Wavetongue: Literal translation

"<Shiny> <female-people-plural>. <Speak-possible tense> <we>."

Aria quirked a brow. "<Why> <are> <we> <now> <speak> <Wavetongue>?" she inquired

"<Can> <count> <I> <total> <amount> <person-plural> <here-now> <is> <big-big-place> <can> <speak> <Wavetounge> <single> <amount> <crab-fin>," Adagio replied. "<Want> <I> <N-hear> <N-us> <subject>."

Sonata perked up. "<Deep-knowledge> <much> <subject> <of> <Siren>?"

"<N-Deep> <much> <subject>..." Adagio took a breath. "<Listen>. <Are-now> <we>.... <Balanced> <more> <are-now> <we>. <Complete> <more>. <More>, <reluctant> <much> <speak> <I>... <akin> <Human>."

Aria rolled her eyes. "<Deep> <oh> <fear>. <Have> <we> <big> <much-more> <soul> <of> <N-have-past tense> <we> <third-half-total-total-total> <wave-amount-plural> <big> <single> <time>. <What> <are> <subject> <by> <claim-you>, <Adagio>? <Worried> <are> <you> <N-are> <we> <could-now> <Siren-plural>?"

"<Are> <subject> <akin> <N-are> <subject>, <Aria>, <if> <are> <subject>...." The yellow girl sighed. "<Now> <ponder> <I> <if> <travel-possible future tense> <we> <of> <claim-we-place>."

"<Travel-possible future tense> <place> <of> <Pony>?" Sonata's voice wavered. <I>... <Adagio>, <here> <much-much> <have> <claim-we>--"

"<Much-much> <have> <claim-you>. <Are> <you> <by> <like> <Discord>, <by> <N-know> <reason>." Aria shuddered. "<Convey> <I>, <can> <know> <you> <deep-song-plural>, <yes> <Sonata>?"

"<Oh> <know> <I>. <But> <are> <you> <with> <work> <I>--"

"<What> <happen-past tense> <Siren-plural>?" Adagio interjected. "<Total> <they> <by> <there-travel-past tense> <we>, <convey> <I>. <Regal> <must> <learn-past tense> <Twilight> <of> <we> <by> <convey> <book> <of> <deep-song-plural>. <Are> <Siren-plural> <much-much> <of> <death>? <If> <change-past tense> <they>, <much> <of> <essence> <N-can> <name> <they> <of> <Siren-plural>? <Better> <are> <we> <by> <N-know> <we>?"

"<Well>..." Sonata fidgeted. "<Now> <speak> <we> <third-half-total-total-total> <wave-amount> <big> <time>. <And>... <do-past tense> <you> <start> <us> <with> <work> <us>... <know> <we> <how> <change> <people-song-plural> <when> <people-do-action of-plural> <of> <change> <claim-they>."

Aria took a breath. "<Know> <you>," she said slowly, "<could> <ask> <we> <regal> <to> <explore> <Twilight> <subject> <of> <us>... <if> <assume> <we> <N-likely> <wish> <she> <with> <talk> <us>, <convey> <I>."

"<Or> <ask> <we> <to> <ask> <Sunset> <her>," Sonata pointed out. "<Or> <ask> <we> <to> <ask> <Discord> <to> <ask> <Sunset> <her>."

Adagio clenched her fists. "<Wrong> <feel> <subject>. <To> <ask> <them> <discover> <subject> <deep> <by> <care> <we>..."

Eventually Adagio sighed. "<Well> <know> <I> <could-past tense> <lead-past tense> <us>. <But> <ponder> <I>, <with> <happen-past tense> <events>... <big> <is> <choice>. <Ponder> <I> <deeply> <must> <ponder> <we>, <light-time-plural> <small> <of> <amount>. <Then> <choose-future tense> <we>. <Yes>?"

"<Yes>." Aria nodded, glanced around, and steadied herself. "<Oh> <waves> <guide> <us>, <whatever> <choose> <we>."

"<If> <claim-place> <are> <water>, <oh> <are> <are-future certain tense> <waves>," Sonata murmured.

A conversation in Wavetongue: Practical Translation

“<Ladies. Let’s talk.>”

Aria quirked a brow. "<Why are we speaking Wavetongue?>" she inquired.

"<I can count the number of people in this world that speak Wavetongue on one hand,>" Adagio replied. "<I want others not to hear this.>"

Sonata perked up. "<Super secret Siren business?>"

"<Not really so secret...>" Adagio took a breath. "<Listen. We're all.... We’re all more balanced now. More whole. More, and I say this with great reluctance... Human.>"

Aria rolled her eyes. "<Oh, the horror. We have an expanded sense of self that we never had in those thousand years prior. What's your point, Adagio? Are you worried we aren't sirens anymore?>"

"<It's not that, Aria, it's....>" The yellow girl sighed. "<I'm pondering if we should go home.>"

"<...go back to Equestria?>" Sonata's voice wavered. "<I... Adagio, we've... got so much, here-->"

"<You've got so much. You’re liked by Discord, for some reason.>" Aria shuddered. "<I mean, you know the legends, right Sonata?>"

"<Oh, I know. But you're working with me-->"

"<What's happened to the Sirens?>" Adagio interjected. "<The ones we left, I mean. Princess Twilight had to learn of us through a book of legends. Are there no Sirens left? Did they change, in so big a manner they can't be called Sirens? Are we better off not knowing?>"

"<Well...>" Sonata fidgeted. "<We are talking about a thousand years. And... you did start us working with each other... we know how societies change when their interactions change.>"

Aria took a breath. "<You know,>" she said slowly, "<we could just ask Princess Twilight to look into it for us... Assuming she'd even be willing to speak to us, I mean.>"

"<Or we ask Sunset to ask her,>" Sonata pointed out. "<Or we ask Discord to ask Sunset to ask her.>"

Adagio clenched her fists. "<It feels wrong. Asking them to find out something we care about deeply...>"

Eventually, Adagio sighed. "<Look I know I led us before. But I think, with all that's happened... this is a big choice. I think we need to consider it carefully, for a few days. We'll decide then. Alright?>"

"<Alright.>" Aria nodded, glanced around, and steadied herself. "<Waves be with us, whatever we choose.>"

"<Where there is water, there will be waves,>" Sonata murmured.

<Shiny> <female-people-plural>

Hmm... Why the <Shiny>? I guess <female-people-plural> = "girls", where the "Shiny" is an age marker or status marker or something, so it means "Ladies"... Then again, it's a practical translation, not everything is one-to-one...

Okay, so "N-" is "Negative-", I figured it out, but I think you'd need to explicitly state that for some others?

"happen-past tense" and other such past tense things seems weird when you could just say "happened"... But you do need the structure for things like "are-future certain tense"...

And that means that Wavetongue has certainty tenses as well as temporal tenses...

<third-half-total-total-total> <wave-amount-plural>

Wavetongue counting system... How does it work?

Typo:

pural > plural

Wavetongue counting system... How does it work?

Because seaponies and/or sirens lived in the sea, their culture did not count gathering so much as completion. There was no need to say “I have five clams,” all they needed was to say “I have enough” or “I don’t have enough” and their point would be made clear. In fact, because of the three-dimensional nature of their environment, geometric terms came before abstract numerology. Eventually there was a need for specific numbers, which was derived from the earlier directional system.

Translation into normative english is difficult, as instead of ‘additive’ positions Wavetongue uses fraction counting. One whole is the the starting number, but adding another whole multiplies in much the same way adding a 0 to a 1 makes it a 10. In order to get anything less than a whole group, fractal patterns are added--half of a whole, half a third of a whole, etc. What makes this even more difficult is the fact that the “whole” can be a different basic number depending on context--a whole meal may have four parts, a whole family may have seven, a whole squad fifty. Generally, when establishing a new whole, seaponies and/or sirens will use either the water whole--twelve--or the wave whole--sixty--and divide down to what seems reasonable before using the new whole as the basis of later counting.

FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

5956133 5957794 5957827
Fascinating as this discussion is, could you please take it to another thread? This seems like ripe material for its own discussion.

Um...

where would you suggest?

• Viewing 801 - 850 of 1,648