Filly Fantasy VI 279 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 73 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 73
DrakeyC
Group Admin

Here it is. All gameplay and story tweaks I want to make have been made. Barring glitch fixing, this is the last beta.

https://www.mediafire.com/?moamu21bx023eh9

An important note - this has not been playtested thoroughly. I played up to the Three Scenarios and checked a couple things in Luna's scenario, but beyond that I haven't played it. I just don't have time, I'm working a full-time job these days and only have two days a week off. I will continue to check the group regularly, of course, and provide bugfix updates as needed. Once this version is verified as free from major and obvious glitches, I'm going to put out a Version 1.0 release at last.

Finally, there are still placeholder graphics. The plan at this point is to release the final version later this month, and then release a graphics update when Rydel is finished the new sprites, hopefully before the end of the year. :raritywink:

Play on!

Pony/Filly Fantasy VI is literally the reason I like FF today! I stopped watching the show (for personal/silly/emotional reasons) but I love Pony mods and fanfiction. Ignoring the fact it's a pony mod, I actually prefer this over the original. Mainly for Gau/Pinkie/Scoots and other minor changes. Can you possibly be cajoled into maybe ponifying FF IV/V/and orignal in maybe two or so years if you don't want to or busy? VI is literally the only Ponfied mod out there that isn't a fanfic or picture.

Thanks so much for remaking the game that started it all! I owe much of the FF love I have thanks to the mod.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5467885 Well, never say never of course, but we'll see.

I honestly don't think it would be right to flag something as a final release if it still has placeholder graphics. The entire debacle with No Man's Sky should serve as a reminder that flagging an incomplete product as complete will lead to a lot of disappointment, even though you aren't charging money for it. Unless the wait for Rydel's sprite work is expected to take a tremendously long time, I would prefer the only version being flagged as complete be the one that is truly complete.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5468694 Exactly. With all due respect to him since Rydel's sprites are awesome, he still has a fair bit to do. The current to-do list has some 30+ entries, not including the optional bits he wants to do like editing the ending scenes, item animations, and final battle background.

Does this beta release have the changes from the state of the project august 20th update like the b to sprint and the removal of monsters in that one screen of the lete river and whatnot?
Edit: Upon actually playing, my question has been answered.

This was a bit sooner than I was expecting. I thought it would be next Sunday, so this is a nice surprise. Game On!! Just have to check a few minor things here and there and I'll finally start my Let's Play... except I also have to go in for Jury Duty tomorrow so depending on what happens there, I might have to wait anyway... :pinkiesick:

*rubs hands together*
Alright, time to take this on once again! :rainbowkiss:

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Rom updated with some bug fixes.

Comment posted by DrakeyC deleted Sep 6th, 2016
DrakeyC
Group Admin

5467885 5468694 5468914 5468915 5469283
Final update of the evening, fixed a broken event in Luna's scenario concerning Applejack finding her family. Also just some general fixes along the way.

Re-downloaded and will play through to where I stopped.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Another note, Rydel gives it a couple weeks for him to finish all his sprites. In tandem with the time to playtest this, a final release complete with sprites should indeed be ready by the end of the month. :pinkiehappy:

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Download updated to fix the flashback with Sunset Shimmer in Kohlingen.

Finally started playing this, fun so far if not a bit easier than what I've gotten used to.

It might be a bit late in development to nitpick on this, but one thing I noticed right away with the character sprites is they don't quite feel animated enough, specifically when walking and running, it just looks kinda silly and a bit stiff how only the ponies legs move when walking, while their whole upper body remains stationary.
Compared to the vanilla game where the characters had this little jostle while they moved, at least while walking and running left and right, giving them a more animated feel to them without feeling too overbearing about it either.

Probably a weird thing to nitpick right at the start, but there you go.
Whelk also went down a bit fast in my opinion, poor guy went down after 2-3 rounds of attacks, but might just be biased because of some of the other hacks I've played turn him into some epic boss fight right out of the gate. (Maybe you want players to feel extra strong in the M-Tek Armor segment.)

DrakeyC
Group Admin

It's fine, the sprites are indeed a bit uneven. It's not a priority, but once he has time, I may bug Rydel to see what he can do to update them. My concern is that we're limited by the game's palette limitations (not counting transparent, black, and white for the eyes, each palette has only 9 colors for playable characters, 13 for NPCs), and the ponies are a colorful bunch. But from an animation perspective there may be some work that could be done.

Difficulty was meant to not be super-hard, only a couple steps up from vanilla FF6, which is very easily broken. I want the hack to be accessible to non-FF6 fans as well, pony fans who may not play RPGs, etc. The more you play though the more the numerous nerfs to the party will become apparent.

Something I just remembered. Anyone else find it weird how Fluttershy's animal counter the flying hawk one that swoops in and attacks enemies can't hit flying monsters?

DrakeyC
Group Admin

That's an oversight on my part, that'll be fixed. Thanks.

And in relation to sprite nit-picks two minor things I noticed during my playthrough:

1. In Zozo after reaching the top of the tower where you meet Ramuh, Scootaloo gets a yellow/brown pallette. I can't tell if this happens through out all interiors in Zozo, as I didn't have her in my party at the time, and currently, I'm not at a point where Zozo is accessible anymore. It doesn't occur in exteriors for Zozo.
2. In Thamasa all appearances of Angel switch to Interceptor. He was fine up until disembarking from the boat.

If it's of any relevance for an emulator I'm using Snes9x

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5476893 No, nothing to do with emulator, it's a level design oversight. Thanks, it'll be fixed.

With the walking animations, the characters do move more than just their legs, but without shading it's not as noticeable. Most of the map sprites were created by QuickFix for Pony Fantasy VI. Once I'm done with the enemy graphics I have, I can try to take a look at them; add a bit of shading and redo a few poses. Hopefully I can get them to the level of the new costume and merchant sprites.

5477362 Fair enough, nice work with the speed of your fix though. When I played the updated version from your other thread, Angel showed up properly in all Thamasa scenes except the one at the inn when Rarity rushes in about the fire, that one still showed Interceptor.

DrakeyC
Group Admin
DrakeyC
Group Admin

Download link updated - the code to make Fluttershy not leave the party was lost, it has been restored.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Update to fix palette errors with the Diamond Dogs in Ponyville and Appleloosa.

A blanket note to all players - if you notice Angel barking, or dogs making the "bunny" noise, let me know the precise place, please. It's an easy fix and even if a minor error, I will fix all instances of this found.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

A graphical update courtesy of Rydel, the party sprites have been given new shading and some new poses to make them look better. NPCs will follow at a later date.

Let me know if any of the shading is off, especially in battle. I had to change some code to let the last 4 colors work in battle and I didn't see any errors testing it, but I may have missed something.

There is a dog making weird noises in the town on the Veldt (WoB)

Got any plans for boss status effect weaknesses? Scootaloo completely neutered Discord in the Neighshe battle, and oneshot Gilda in Griffonstone. I enjoyed that last one, that encounter gave me some trouble otherwise.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5497275 How'd she do that?

I think it was the Primordite rage, uses a skill called Numblade. I think it applies Stop, either way it works on Discord and the Mane-iac in the opera house.
The Cirpius rage has a skill called Beak, I'm guessing it petrifies things. Or some form of zombie/instant death. I was just messing around seeing what rages do when I oneshot Gilda.

Scootaloo's generally OP. There's a reason CatScratch got nerfed and Nightshade no longer uses Charm.

Beak causes petrification. I guess since Break was removed, new bosses weren't given petrify resistance, the same was bosses don't have resistance to Possess.

There's gotta be a use for status effects sometimes, otherwise players may just forget about em. Obviously bosses shouldn't be oneshot in that case, could have certain effects wear off after a while.

The Behemoth's takedown rage is quite strong, dont think my Scootaloo's even Lv20 and it already does 900-1k damage.

Meant to confirm, is there only one magicite available at the auction house in the world of ruin? I'm guessing the other one's there as a joke, considering that pair of "Best Friends" buys it out everytime it shows up.

5510341 In the Auction House the rules in Vanilla FF6 apply, so the two magicite will appear in the World of Balance and the World of Ruin depending on when you go after them. You can get one for 10,000 Gil (or Bits in this case) and the other for 20,000.

Unless you're talking about the Chocobo and Mini-Airship which are the joke items that can't be bought.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5510358 The Mini-Airship was changed. :trollestia:

5511640 Ah in that case you probably long replaced that after I had already gone into the World of Ruin, where I don't bother with the Auction house at all. I get everything I need in there done during the World of Balance. :P

I suppose it's just as well that I abandoned my original playthrough I was recording then. :P

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5511647 This and the treasure atop the Cultist Tower. I am proud of my trolling. :moustache:

So to appease the completionist in me, are there any missable lores in the world of ruin? Assuming the Dark Force enemy in Discords tower hasn't been messed with, it can use most lores, aside from a couple the founder statues may or may not use. I"ve kept Rarity in my party all the time, being careful not to keep negative statuses on her, at least in vanilla FF6 that can prevent lores from being learnt.

And is the only point to Twilight's ultimate weapon teaching a spell she can learn naturally, so she can learn said spell earlier?

I think one of the Founders (Platinum?) uses a unique Lore you can't get any other way. Rover is also the only enemy to use Gem Flash, but you can refight him until you get it.

Yes, learning from Twilight's ultimate weapon is a lot faster than grinding to level 99.

Started playing this a little more. (Warframe keeps eating ALL of my time. :applejackconfused:)

Just a little thing, but when going through the South Figaro cave (Yes, I stopped playing it for that long :twilightsheepish:) I noticed the monsters there didn't have enough MP to use their spells. (Break and Magnitude8 specifically.)
Think you should increase the MP of the Crawlies and Blearies so they can cast their spells just once, or would this make things too hard? (And yes, I was playing the most recent version.)

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5516447 They probably only use them when Confused, yes?

That's because when confused Monsters usually, IIRC, use whatever their Rages are. Or maybe Control. Either way yeah, those spells that early is way too cruel.

Oh that explains it, I was using the Noise Blaster in randoms so that's probably why it came up at all.

When visiting Scootaloo's father in the WoR, Luna mentions "Scoot, could that be your father?" Even when Scootaloo isn't in the current party.

Ending stuff
Pony genetics: Kinda funny how Night Glider gave birth to a baby Twilight. And several instances of pegasi not flying out of various pit traps

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5517962 Screencap the former, please.

Doesn't matter if you recruited Scootaloo in the WoR or not, same message.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Check, thanks.

I've yet to play this. It looks quite solidly put together. Reading about Rydel also working on some models has me really excited.

Before I fire this up I have one question about the character line-up. Having looked at a Let's Play I would like to ask what is the significance of having Flash Sentry in the role of Locke? It seems, considering what the characters go through in the game and his relationship with Celes in the original game, now played by Cadence that Shining Armor might be a better choice. This is not a criticism, more borne out of curiosity.

Thank you for your time.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5522741 Well, given Locke's role in the story - go-between for Edgar and the Returners, protective of Terra and Celes, plagued by the loss of a past love - Flash made perfect sense for the first, perfect sense for the second, and I adapted the third perfectly fine IMHO. His relationship with Cadance is written to be more about protecting his Princess as a loyal soldier rather than romantic affection.

As for Shining Armor, I did and continue to think about that. The major hurdle that stops me from just shrugging and switching them is that I can't see Shining Armor stealing from ponies to infiltrate towns and questioning his wife's loyalty to King Sombra. On the other hand, Flash, while not really in-character for him, it's less OOC for him than it is Shining Armor. And on the flip side, Flash Sentry as a famous general for the Empire that is able to give orders to Discord and Cadance? Not really.

Any thoughts on increasing the speed of Applejack's Swordtech gauge?
Wouldn't need to be a lot, maybe a 50% speed increase at most, even 25% would probably be fine, just enough so waiting for her meter to fill up isn't so tedious. (I'll admit, I've been spoiled by Brave New World making it go faster.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 73