Filly Fantasy VI 279 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 499 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 499
DrakeyC
Group Admin

Because hopping between different threads is confusing - please keep all glitch reports confined to this thread. :raritywink:

Reports of previous bugs fixed are in the first post of the Official Release thread.

A great idea. I never know where I should be posting bugs. Like this one.

This is the monster-in-a-box in the Ancient Castle in which the offering is found.

I've seen this before in my fork of Pony Fantasy III - typically it occurs if you change an enemy sprite that's used for multiple monsters. Most hacking tools only update the layout for the original monster.

The Fix:
For each monster using that sprite:
1. Change to a different sprite
2. Save
3. Change back to the sprite you want
4. Save again.
This should update the tile arrangement data.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

It's a problem with the mold, the game originally set that enemy's sprite to be 64x64, and I forgot to change it when I used a larger, unique sprite. It's been fixed now.

Lv 10 Magic, like its other ghost lookalikes, has its sprite glitched.

After defeating White(?) Dragon, I'm told I got a Storm Lance, but in the inventory, it is called a Typhoon Lance.

I got two of Twilight's weapon at the top of Fanatic tower. One from the treasure chest, and one from defeating Magimaster. Considering I've only gotten one of other characters' weapons, I'm assuming the dropped weapon from the battle wasn't supposed to happen.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5108001 Actually, the chest is the dup - it was supposed to be a random Apple, hence "Discord's trap". His and mine way of trolling you. :rainbowwild:

The Unicorn Ring makes you auto-equip.

When the Magitech armor guards face any direction other than down, they revert back to their previous sprite.

Trixie can't wear the Unicorn Ring.

The Colosseum lists the prize for Unicorn Ring as ??????? unlike its pegasus and earthen counterparts, which give cupcakes. No idea what the prize for winning the fight is so maybe it is how it's meant to be.

The Crystal Lance, when used to Jump with, looks like a sword. It also doesn't seem to do the extra damage that lances normally do when jumping.

...Not a bug, but relevant to the picture, I'm having a real problem with this fight. Can't find a way to win it, and I really want the items I'd be able to get for winning. If only characters didn't try to use every spell they've ever learned when fighting.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not sure if I can do anything for that. The monsters fought in the Coliseum use a different AI script than for normal battles, one that I can't edit in my normal editor program.

I should mention that the magitech guards in Thamarsa are semi glitched whenever they look any direction other than down.

During the scene where Twi meets Knight, Flash says "I wonder if she's sprout wings again." I assume it is supposed to be "she will..."

Based on the description, is LV4 Flare supposed to be LV2 Flare? You haven't changed the name if it is so.

By the way, I'm really digging some of these new Lores. And the Dark Behemoth, holy cow is that good now. Nice. Seeing what Scoot has access to now, you haven't changed any of the other really good ones so far, so rethinking my thoughts, she doesn't necessarily need two abilities for some. Having a mix of ability and physical keeps a nice balance since she does have at least a few really good ones, her physical can be pretty darn strong with the right equipment and the Light Shoes, and the fact she can't be locked down despite not having full control is a huge boon.
By the way, Nightshade doesn't still give her the Charm ability, does it? That ability literally breaks the game if she does, because she can confuse anything, including any boss.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

I'll be taking Charm out, no worries. I agree, it was ridiculous. For now, giving Scoots two abilities per Rages is working okay. It actually lets me make some of the later game ones better. For instance, the normal Behemoth uses Battle and Comet, but maybe the Gt. Behemoth uses its Special and Comet. More incentive to keep picking up new Rages.

And yeah, I adore Comet too.

The Sombra Soldiers were missing a riding sprite in this release, they have one for the finished version. That's why they look glitched riding the Magitek Armor.

Trixie's Magic Wand has a valiant knife effect to it. At lower HP she does more damage. Probably not intended, as it doesn't mention it can do that, unlike another weapon which does. I can't complain though, it allowed me to finally get the Alicorn Amulet. Too bad only one character can make use of it.

Also, not sure if this is intentional or not, Maud can't use the Dragonfang, even though she can use the rest of the dragon equipment.

It sounds like I'm missing out by not having gotten many Lores or doing much experimentation with different Rages.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5109699 Yes, it was intended. Some of the ultimate weapons in that version, I just didn't have enough rom room to put what they did (all the item descriptions occupy the same rom space they have to share). In the final release all weapon effects will be listed.

:derpytongue2: He he. Once you get to the Floating Continent with an average level of 21, you start to notice just how low your HP really is. Considering this games version of the Green Beret doesn't increase HP as much (I think only the basic 10% as opposed to 25% or something like that) HP is almost 400 points lower than it could be in the original (factoring in that Green Beret.) Not necessarily complaining since others have clearly gotten past here, but I wonder if other testers are paying as much mind to level bonus' with Espers as I am, which inadvertently keeps my levels somewhat on the low side, though I'm some three levels lower than I expected to be by now anyway. Duel wielding weapons is apparently not going to cut it if I'm getting one shot by Behemoths.
By the way, are you intentionally keeping some of the Espers clear of level bonus'? I've noticed you changed several of them too. No +2 Strength from Bubbles (future Fizzy) or any other Esper yet?

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Yes, the +2 Espers are held until the World of Ruin.

As a note, though, the Green Beret wasn't changed at all.

Isn't ZoneSeeker a +2 Magicpower that is available in the WoB?

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Not anymore. :rainbowwild:

Really? It doesn't seem like it raises HP as much for some reason, or maybe that is just an effect of lower HP in general I suppose so it just seems like it.
On a side note, I don't have a problem with the slightly raised cost of spells but, though its just a small thing, I think maybe osmose should go back to 1 MP cost. With our MP lower for the time being until the final release and expecting that it won't be restored to normal levels, I actually found myself with 3 MP after casting a particularly expensive spell.
Oh, and its not just the Thamarsa scene. Magitech guards including Snips and Snails revert back to the previous pony guard sprite when they face left or right.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5111871 I noticed that about Osmose as well. I lowered its power a bit, too (the average character syphons around 200 MP, magic-focused characters more ofc), so yeah I'm gonna put its MP cost lower, it's too critical to lose.

I think Osmose was fine. If you accidentally fall below 5 MP, you can probably afford to use an ether or the like to restore your MP. There's not much use for MP restorative items otherwise with how powerful Osmose is.

I'd even be willing to say the Osmose in the current version is still too good even at 5 MP to cast.

I've found MP healing items to be very useful, not just in areas where enemies have no MP to steal, like in the Esper Cave, but I used them pretty consistently in between fights during the air force attack as well. Pretty much saved me in the current low MP state.

Different playstyles, I guess. I think I went through Air Force with a party that didn't need much MP, and used a lot of potions used between battles rather than cure spells.

Flare Star is still inexplicably ending my fights when it's cast. Do I lose out on anything by not fighting the AtmaWeapon in Kefka's Tower? More importantly, is this going to make battles against actual mandatory bosses impossible for me? I hadn't even thought of that until now, I may not be able to finish the game legitimately if Flare Star comes up.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Flare Star was always the worst attack to face in FF6. With how its damage formula works it almost always kills the party, even in vanilla FF6. It does 80 damage times the lowest levelled member of the party, and ignores defense and split damage. That means a party of level 25 folks take 2000 damage that ignores defense and Shell. The best defense, really, is to not let it be cast.

If people are finding it's a problematic attack, I'm certainly willing to tweak it. Ways would be to make it take defense into account, which would allow you to defend against it with proper equipment, or making it do less flat damage in which case you'd just need to keep your HP high to survive it.

It's not the killing of my party that is the problem, it's that it immediately ends the battle as if I had a victory. It also doesn't seem to be fire elemental, as it goes right through my Flame Shields. I'll see if I can get a video of it.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Yeah, I realized the problem looking in the editor. Somehow instead of the Flare Star effect, it was set to Flee - so basically, yeah, it was set to end the battle. I suck.

Also, it isn't Fire-elemental, my bad. It was in vanilla but I removed that.

I had the same problem back against the Floating Continent AtmaWeapon and his special attack. Is that also set the same?

Would the only way around Flare Star right now be to just hope it doesn't happen? AtmaWeapon can be skipped, but any future bosses with it might be a problem.

(Also I have no idea how to make a .zmv into a video that can be uploaded on youtube, so I'm glad I didn't have to try to figure that out.)

You forgot that the damage is not only equal to the level of the lowest ally character times eighty, but also divided by the number of characters in the party. At peak damage, when used at level 99, it would do around 7,920 damage and divided by 4 that's only 1980 per character. I actually never found it that threatening because my party usually never sees level 40. Though, in this game the lower HP might make that an issue.

Anyway, speaking of game breaking bugs I ran into something interesting. During Flash's little solo quest, trying to Mug the Merchants results in him stealing either a Support Bit or a Curved Knife on rare occasions, but he won't steal their clothes. I assume there is some specific algorithm attached that set the stealing clothes part specifically to Steal rather than Mug which is impossible to have at that point in the original.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

A Version 5 update coming to fix the Steal glitch and Flare Star. Head over to download it.

Updated Flare star dealt 680 damage. Much more manageable than the couple thousand it did before, especially so since the battle didn't end when it was used.

Head over as in the Deviant art page? When you did updates before you put them on specific update pages here.

It's the Beta Update March 13 thread. The download link was updated. I waited for half an hour for a new post before realizing.

Ultima's MP cost is glitched looking. It costs 100 MP, but the middle 0 is just a blank space. Unfortunately it is not 10 MP to cast.

Step Mine also seems to do this.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

I believe Step Mine's effect is a holdover from vanilla, but I'll see what I can do there. Ultima, check, thanks.

When you spell out "THEMAGICOFFRIENDSHIP" on the tombstone, it still shows up backwards even though the game should inform you of what it said forwards.

The Water Rod is Earth Elemental for some reason.

Not really a bug per say, but I realized that the Empire is the only place to buy or otherwise find those elemental claws. When that window of opportunity to buy them passes (literally two short instances), they are gone forever. Could be useful in the coliseum, especially considering how much harder it is.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Actually, it was always like that with the tombstone.

Check on the Rod and Claws, good point on the Claws especially.

Well yeah, you always had to spell it backwards, but once you did the game reads it to you forwards before giving you the message about the Exp. Egg. At least i thought it did anyway. It still read it out backwards.

I'm nearing the end. All I've got left is the final battle with Discord. I've given it a few attempts, and every time, Goner is the end of me. 2000+ damage when my max health is ~1500 means I've got to use Life3 to survive, but then he always seems to follow up with a Quasar attack to finish me. I'll find a way.

More importantly, a couple bugs.
When Dash uses jump, if she has more jumps remaining and her weapon's effect kicks in, she doesn't land. Unfortunately, she is actually there and able to take damage.

And here's Green Dragon. Not much to say about this.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

When Dash uses jump, if she has more jumps remaining and her weapon's effect kicks in, she doesn't land. Unfortunately, she is actually there and able to take damage.

What do you mean?

When Rainbow Dash uses attacks, sometimes her Typhoon Lance uses a Tempest-like attack rather than the usual attack. Wind Slash, I think? I'll go with Wind Slash.

My Rainbow Dash has Winged Shoes and Flight Suit for multiple Jumps. On any of her Jumps except the last, if Wind Slash is used rather than the normal physical, all remaining Jumps become Wind Slashes, and her animation for landing never happens, making her look as if she isn't there even though she is.

I wonder if this happens in normal Final Fantasy if Cyan uses Tempest and Jumps with the Dragoon horn.
Edit: I just checked and this does happen to Cyan if he's set up with Tempest, Dragoonboots and Dragon horn. It's just a lot less likely to be seen with Tempest not being a spear, and Cyan not being a great choice for being a Dragoon in general.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

I figured that's what you meant. Except I tested it myself and it worked fine. I dunno what to tell you.

You had Wind Slash go off and Dash kept jumping normally? I don't know how this happened to me then. I only had it happen when Wind Slash wasn't the last jump of the 2, 3, or 4 that can be done with Flight Suit.

In better news, I defeated Discord. All I had to do was completely forgo physical defence in favour of magic defence. It made the first tier of the final battle somewhat threatening, and the one part of the second tier that attacks 10 times when it dies needed to be dealt with carefully, but in exchange I got a Goner attack that did only a few hundred points of damage. The fight ended quickly after that.

That doesn't mean I didn't find any more bugs to report. I've got a spelling error, in which the name Twilight has one too many i's in it.

And this guy who has two faces.

Also, during the character bits as everyone is escaping, Muad and Scootaloo both say their same line twice. I don't know if that's changeable, but hearing Maud say she found a shortcut twice, or Scootaloo saying to go this way repeatedly is a bit odd.

I've still got a couple things I want to do, like uncursing the cursed shield and finally making a decision between the Ragnarok sword or esper. After that, I think I'll wait for the next version to come out and start a new game then to see all the changes.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

The Maud and Scootaloo stuff is a holder from vanilla where they did that. I'll look into changing it when it's event time.

As a whole, what do you think of the project so far?

I think it's coming along very well. I'd probably play it over the other Pony Fantasy VI at this point.

At first I was worried everyone having magic would cause them all to become mages with little to differentiate them. That ended up not happening, though I was pushed a bit towards magic more with no strength espers when I played through the game. With that being fixed, I can't wait to see how some of the more physically oriented characters turn out next time I play.

The story and character choices work a lot better than they do in the other Pony Fantasy. Apple Bloom as Locke just doesn't work.

The difficulty of the game felt very reasonable as well. I never had to grind levels (except for defeating some tougher foes in the Colosseum, and only on characters I didn't bring to Kefka's tower), but I also couldn't just use a single strategy and have it work everywhere. By the end, the only point I had a battle I lost to more than a few times was against Gilda in the minecart escape, and that was more my fault for bringing probably the worst team for the area than it is it being overly difficult.

All in all, I really enjoyed it. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the finished product.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5117481 Good to hear all around. :pinkiehappy:

I noticed the Glacier Ring teaches Ice3 at x5, as opposed to Magma ring and Storm ring teaching their spell at x10.

Do the Chaosbringer sword and Chaos Dice inflict more status ailments than just Stop? Their descriptions make it sound as if they do, but I haven't been able to see any others.

Also, is StrappedSplnt's +40 MBlock% intentional? The only other shield I have with that much MBlock is the Magic shield.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Whoops. The rings are all supposed to be at 5%. And nope, that shield is a glitch.

The Chaos weapons, they do inflict status ailments, but Stop is the one you recognize because it's set to cast Stop randomly. However, the chaos weapons should also be able to Slow, Poison, Mute, and Confuse enemies, so if they start taking damage over time or become confused, that's why.

On the other hand, if they don't, hn.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 499