Filly Fantasy VI 279 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17
DrakeyC
Group Admin

What is this?

Pony Fantasy 6 was a Final Fantasy 6 hack made by John Bowden a couple of years ago. Filly Fantasy VI is a remake in the spirit of that project.

Story
The story is completely overhauled, incorporating numerous elements of the canon. The story of King Sombra and the Crystal Empire has been adapted to fit Final Fantasy VI's plot, bringing with him characters like Cadance, Shining Armor, Flash Sentry, and Radiant Hope. Other characters like Maud Pie, Spike, Star Swirl, Kibitz, Zecora, and Fancy Pants also appear prominently. The supporting NPC cast includes Octavia and Vinyl Scratch, Lyra and Bon Bon, Sunset Shimmer, Filthy Rich and family, Starlight Glimmer and Sunburst, and more. You'll also face numerous villains including Gilda, the Diamond Dogs, Queen Chrysalis, Tirek, the Shadowbolts, the Tantabus, the Ursa Minor, and worse.

The story of the Espers has also been integrated into FiM's universe in a way meant to be (relatively) lore-friendly, depicting them as the Crystal Ponies that Sombra once tried to enslave. However there is another design and story-influence on the Espers that I'll keep secret as an easter egg. Simply put, older fans of pony may recognize some familiar faces. :raritywink:

Gameplay

Gameplay is more difficult; enemies have higher stats, the party has lower stats, and enemies use more aggressive and powerful attack scripts. The game is not punishingly difficult, but Final Fantasy VI veterans will find themselves facing a higher challenge level. Many of Final Fantasy VI's more exploitable game-breaking abilities were nerfed, removed, or made harder to utilize, and characters or abilities that were lacking have been buffed, with the intent to create a more balanced cast of characters. There are also several new spells and abilities to offer a larger variety of combat options.

Esper stat bonuses are in this hack, but only 1.0; they're gone in Version 2.0. In 1.0 they have been redistributed, along with the spells the Espers teach. Espers are also more powerful and some have had their effects adjusted. 2.0 makes up for the loss of stat bonuses with higher base stats.

The equipment system is redone to focus on the diversity of the pony types. Equipment exclusive to Earth Ponies boosts their Strength and HP, Unicorns get boosts to Magic and MP, and Pegasi get boosts to Speed and Evade. The three alicorns in turn each lean to one of the three pony types and otherwise have balanced stats. In tandem with pony-specific weapons, this makes choosing the right party for the right dungeon more important by emphasizing each character's individual strengths more. Each character also has a unique ultimate weapon to be found somewhere in the World of Ruin.

Some specific balance changes are as follows:

- The Spells Antdot, Drain, Break, X-Zone, Merton, and Quick are removed. New spells are Gust, Wave, and Tremor, Tier 2 Water/Earth/Wind spells; Scour, a Tier 3 Poison spell; and Image. W Wind and Quake are now Tier 3 Wind and Earth-elemental damaging spells, and are joined by Flood.
- Characters with natural magic learn more spells earlier.
- Celestia (Edgar) has natural Magic.
- Luna (Sabin) has physical Blitzes, and her two healing Blitzes have had their effects changed.
- Applejack (Cyan) has faster SwdTech charging. Some of her SwdTechs have been buffed.
- Scootaloo (Gau) and Pinkie (Mog) only use Rage and Dance for one turn and do not become uncontrollable. Pinkie's Dances are each reassigned to focus on different elemental attacks. Several of Scootaloo's Rages have been changed.
- The Sketch command calculates damage using the user's Magic/Strength instead of the enemy's, thus Sketched attacks are far more effective.
- Rarity has numerous new Lores, particularly focusing on varied elemental attacks.
- Fluttershy (Shadow) does not leave the party randomly in the World of Ruin, allowing more use of her earlier in the game.
- Maud (Umaro) is fully controllable and equipable, including Espers and magic. In Version 2.0, Apple Bloom is playable instead but retains this full playable change from Umaro.
- Trixie (Gogo) can equip Espers, but cannot learn magic from them.
- Several vanilla-FF6 glitches including the Doom-Vanish bug, Overcast glitch, Evade glitch, numerous glitches with Fluttershy leaving the party, and others, have been fixed.

What do I need to play this?

You need a Super NES emulator. ZSNES and SNES9x are just two you could use.

Silly question maybe, but are you modding the GBA version or the SNES version?
I understand there are advantages and disadvantages to both, but it seems like the SNES version might be better for graphics and sound on an emulator. Too bad it doesn't include the extra bosses and dungeons.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

SNES version. I've applied numerous bug patches to it already, and the lack of the new GBA content won't be too noticeable - exclusive weapons have been added along with new spells, and the pre-existing Eight Dragons will be buffed to be a proper challenge.

Have you thought about adding in the Elements as character specific relics at all? Also, do you have a list of who's replacing who so we can give feedback on that?

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5061494 There's a reference to Twilight's crown, but no, the Elements of Harmony aren't in. I did consider it, but then that introduces the logical problem of "hang on, the most powerful relics in Equestria, and all they do is give a stat boost?" I may add in a single rare Relic just named "Harmony" though. Been thinking it over.

As for cast, most certainly! :twilightsmile:

Terra - Twilight
Locke - Flash Sentry
Celes - Cadance
Edgar - Celestia
Sabin - Luna
Shadow - Fluttershy
Cyan - Applejack
Gau - Scootaloo
Mog - Pinkie
Setzer - Rainbow Dash
Strago - Rarity
Relm - Sweetie Belle
Umaro - Maud
Gogo - Mare-do-well
Banon - Zecora

Kefka - Discord
Gestahl - Sombra
General Leo - Shining Armor
Cid - Radiant Hope
Rachel - Sunset Shimmer
Lola - Apple Bloom
Cyan's family - Big Mac and Granny Smith
Gungho - Blueblood
Darill - Spitfire
Siegfried - Trixie
Ultros - The Mane-iac
Ramuh - Star Swirl

5061996 A few of the relics do change things around though. Like replacing the dragon horn or GP Rain with Loyalty to give Dash a special jump, and the Soul of Thamsa and make it specifically for Twilight.

Concerning the characters themselves, I am now deeply worried about Shining Armor. I was kinda expecting Shining to be Locke actually. That way the romance between Locke and Celes would require a lot less editing. Still, I don't see any real problem with it.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5062080 That could work for Dash and Twilight, and it gives me an idea for Applejack. But what about the rest?

5062101 Hmmm... The Element of Laughter works fine as the moogle charm, giggle away the ghosties anyone? The Element of Generosity could work like the Economizer, those lore's get expensive. Kindness is a hard one. Since Interceptor is a status effect, maybe it only works when the element is on?

5062101 I'd also suggest not putting the Elements in a box somewhere. They should be tied with the side quests. Like Rarity only getting hers after dealing with Hidon, Applejack getting hers from the dream dungeon. No idea how Pinkie'd get her's though. Unlike there original rom edit where I'd suggest she get it after the scene with Gau's dad, Mog doesn't really have any character development scenes. Maybe make a scene in Narshe where she helps restore the spirit of someone hiding in one of the houses during the World of Chaos?

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Moogle Charm and Economizer are no longer in the game. As for Interceptor, that's impossible, unfortunately.

Make it function like the gold hairpin then?

I'm not saying it needs to replace the gold hairpin, just act like it. As for the others.... I need to look up relic effects.

4993524 Were the Sprint Shoes removed? I cannot seem to find them in any of the usual places. I ended up losing 5 hours of game play (I went back to a previous game position, not realizing that would delete my later in-game saves) trying to find it.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

5740052 The Sprint Shoes were removed due to the addition of a Dash button; hold B to run.

Hey, I heard about this rom hack recently and I really want to get into it. The problem is there's a glitch where it takes forever to move left on the screen, every other direction is fine, left is just odd. The reason why this isn't in the bugs and glitches thread is I think I just don't have the right version of the game. I checked out DM-Pon3000's let's play of the rom and the opening sequence has white letters (mine are pink), Snips and Snails look different, and everybody looks different when he brings up the menu, and, most importantly, he moves left just fine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hey never mind about my previous post, I got it all figured out. I found out DM-Pon3000 was playing the beta version originally and that the one I was downloading was the right version. I also figured out the "left" issue with some troubleshooting. Basically if your using a Snes9x on a mac, you need to go to config then to Automatic Fire and make sure everything's in the default setting, just incase anyone else has this issue. Long story short, I should be good to go ☺️

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17