Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

I do like a touch of economics and finance.

Thanks Bad Dragon for the group.

I'd like to know where you'd all like to be in a decade's time?

Regarding my investing: I'd really like to invest in property in the next five years.
1. Put down a large deposit (no thanks mortgage lender's insurance).
2. Pay off the principal & interest
3. Profit (no doubt about it).

My only concern: 50% capital gains tax (if I choose to sell). Ouchies.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

4996885 It was my hope that this group would become active, and you're part of that activity. So, thank you for making a thread.

I don't really have much use for money. The less material stuff I have, the happier I am. Investing is more like a game to me. I just try to score the highest amount of points. I don't really have any concrete goals for the future that would make me crave for financial stability. I guess that's part of the reason why I sometimes like to bet on wild horses instead of the reliable ones.

Then again, who knows what the future brings. 50 years from now, we may, indeed, invent a machine capable of transferring brains into a digital environment, granting one eternal life. Of course, this method won't be free. Then again, I don't think I'll have a strong desire to extend my life, so even if I could afford it, I probably wouldn't make use of it.

I'm also thinking of helping to finance the resurrection of Nobel winner's sperm bank. I'd have to have money to finance it, though. The more, the better.

So, yeah, I'd like to earn more money to further the goals of eugenics. Some consider this as evil, but I consider it as the most noble and pressing issue on the world.

As for your property investment, I'm not sure how you intend to make a profit. Property by itself doesn't create any additional value (unlike industry that does). Are you counting on property values to increase over the years and intend to profit from that? What happens if property values decrease over the years?

And yes, capital gains tax is a bummer. With stocks and mutual founds, at least, you get excused from the tax if you hold them for long enough.

I simply intend to have enough money to support myself and help my family. It is a modest goal, but most of the goals I have are not financial in nature. If I do get enough money I would like to invest in gold and silver and other commodities to protect my savings from inflation.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

4996885 4999552 If you scored big and got like $1 000 000, would you stop working? How would your lives change?

I honestly don't know. On one claw, I kind of have to force myself go to work every workday. Yet, when the work is done, I don't rush home with high speed to do this one thing that is the meaning of life. Sometimes even home starts feeling like a chore.

If I had loads of money, I don't know if anything would change. There's nothing that I really want for myself.

With lack of money, I'm at least motivated to work and do stuff. It gives me the drive to move forward. I wonder what would happen if that motivation was taken away from me. What would become of me?

5831468 I would stop working, but I would also go to school full time instead of part time like I am right now. I would do this though until I finished my education so I can achieve my true calling which is to be a history teacher.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5832020 If you have infinite amount of money, you'd still be a teacher?

5832579 That is correct, it is because I feel like it is my calling.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

I just read an article that kind of opened my mind. It turns out that happiness isn't very correlated with profits. It's the way you spend the money that determines how happy you are with your life.
http://tonyisola.com/2017/05/the-ultimate-alternative-investment-happiness/

The article gives 5 pieces of advice, and I basically fail at all of them. I always thought spending is an enemy to investing. I might need to reconsider some things about my life now.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8