Self-Hate Help 60 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25
R-ootie
Group Admin

I really hope we can help a lot of people with this group...

4928520 Is that positive, though?

Self-love leads to self-acceptance. Self-acceptance leads to self-content. Being self-content lowers your desire to improve. With impaired motivation, one becomes stagnant in one's ways.

If one's path is not right, one should not accept that path. One should hate it and be vigilant for better ones on the horizon.

R-ootie
Group Admin

4928737 Hating yourself constantly isn't a good thing. Self-acceptance is a far better thing than self-hate.

So in my eyes, it is positive.

4928744 We can be so much more than we are, but not if we're content with who we already are.

Homo Sapiens would never come to be if past Hominins were self-accepting. We think of ourselves high because we float on the surface of primitive species. We're so blind that we can't see the mountains rising up to the sky. That's where we should be.

We shouldn't be floating in the puddle of goo. Instead, we should be striving to shed our primal vestiges and drag ourselves to the surface. Then rise up the evolutionary tree like there's no tomorrow. For there may not be one if we stay stagnant in our ways.

R-ootie
Group Admin

4928767 Ah. So you're a "big picture" person. Well I agree. As individuals we don't matter. That's why I believe individuals should get help if they hate themselves.

4928771 Is it moral to sacrifice the world to help one person?

R-ootie
Group Admin

4928802 Helping people isn't going to ruin the world more than it already is. :ajbemused:

4928909 Let's say Hitler had some self-esteem issues. He wasn't sure if he should even go into politics. Would you put his doubts to rest and raise his confidence so he could deal with all the pressure? After all, what's wrong with helping a fellow man, right? What could possibly go wrong if you do a good deed?

4928918 I'd steer him towards what he wanted to be in the first place. An artist. I'd try my hardest to lift his spirts, boost his creative flow. But it's not always easy...

4932092 I'd give him uncorrupted data that would convince him that people with good features come about in all races. It should convince him to not reproduce mostly aryan race, but quality people from all races, instead. I’d try my best to persuade him that death camps are an overkill, but he was a stubborn fellow, so I might fail in this regard.

4928737 Ok, I understand where you're coming from here... but let me just pose a question, if I may...

What is the point of life?

As far as I'm concerned, there is none. And so, as such, I would think that it's best to enjoy it as much as you can. Self-hatred is certainly not an enjoyable thing. I've only been browsing these forums for a few minutes, and It's already clear to me that all this is very...

Serious, for lack of a better word.

I will, however, agree that people who suffer from depression and/or self hatred need to change. Whatever is causing the problem should be taken care of as soon as possible.

Like I said, I don't think that this world should be a world of self-loathing people. Rather, a world of ambitious people. People who are excited, compelled, motivated to do better in life. Not a world of people who want nothing more than to be dead the next morning.

I'll leave you on a fact: Depressed people, by definition, are not very motivated to do anything at all. And that includes improving themselves.

Life itself is a purpose. It's almost impossible to start. Mathematical models show that there shouldn't even be any life in our Universe. It may have taken billions of universes to produce one (our own) which happened to win the jackpot in forming the right chemicals together.

The first self-replicating chemical couldn't form with natural selection. That comes after. It had to be formed in one big jump.

Life is the only thing that the multiverse has to show for itself.

At the same time, I don't think a planet full of bacteria is as meaningful as the Earth today. Simple life isn't good enough. Advanced life is better.

Are we advanced? No! We are not. Far from it. The potential in our gene structure alone is more vast than we can imagine. And many more improvements can be made even if that limit is reached. The biological life isn't optimal. We could design anew from scratch. Make it better on a molecular (or even atomic) level.

None of this can come to be if we stay content with who we currently are. We need to realize that we are surrounded by shit and are shit ourselves before we can start crawling out of it.

It's not depression I'm promoting. It's realism.

4936161 If you're going to become this literal and scientific, then I'll do the same;

Everything is relative.

Life itself is a purpose.

So, what you're telling me, is that the purpose of life, is "life".

Now, instead of laughing at this, I'll look at this seriously. Do you mean, the purpose of life is to live? Is that what you're trying to say?

If so, then... well, you're not wrong. But at the same time, it doesn't back up your argument. So, uh... you might have to explain this one to me.

4936186 We're all special snowflakes, just by being alive. We're being better than the dead matter that surrounds us.

Everything that's happening in the Universe can be boiled down to simple laws of physics. Life, however, goes a step further. Psychology isn't about laws of nature. Neither is sociology or art. We are on a level beyond the basic mathematical rules. They still underlie everything we do, but not as simplistically as a rock hitting another rock. The complexity of the Universe isn't in starts. It's within us. That's what life is. Guided complexity.

There is nothing like that in the Universe. Everything else you can write on a piece of paper, but not complex life (you'd need loads of paper for that one).

This is why I believe that preservation and improvement of life is the most important thing in the Universe.

Being happy is egotistical and short-sighted. There are bigger things at stake than that.

4936219 You're uh.... you've just litterally dodged all that I've been saying, but fine, whatever.

Also, you're really not doing this very well.

Everything that's happening in the Universe can be boiled down to simple laws of physics.

The laws of physics are not simple. Neither are the laws of thermodynamics. Or any other laws of the sort, for that matter. The universe, is in no way, simple, no matter what part of it you look at.

Life, however, goes a step further.

No, it does not. Life can be COMPLETELY explained by the laws of physics. It's not as if it's some sort of miracle.

Psychology isn't about laws of nature. Neither is sociology or art.

Again, you're missing something here.

The laws of physics explain how we, and the world around us works. They are integral to both psychology and sociology and all things of the like, and, to the extent that the laws of physics can explain them, explains them.

That's what life is. Guided complexity.

Guided... complexity? Jesus, man. That's a terrible way of putting it.

Life, is quite simply, something that exists. That is all. The laws of physics do not explain why it exists, or anything like that. It simply explains how it exists.

I feel like you're... comparing apples to oranges, and drawing lines of psychology where the only lines should be science. That's a terrible way of putting it, but that's the best term that I can come up with.

I mean... life exists. Yay! Whooo! Isn't it cool how unlikely it is, and yet, it still happened!?!

I think where you're running aground is that you don't know where to differentiate between logic, and emotion.

I'll ask you one, more, time. What is the point of life?

Edit: I apologize for the rather condescending post. In hindsight this is quite bad.

There is no ultimate point to it. Objectively speaking, we could all die off and the Universe would still go on it's merry way like nothing of relevance happened.

I don't think life is magical, but I do think it's more than just random stash of atoms thrown together. We have functionalities that go beyond those of our building blocks. Such is not the case for dead matter.

I still think that gaining functionality is more worthy than a random being extracting endorphins into its bloodstream.

You do have a point, though. I don't know what the meaning of life is. There probably is none.

So, here's a question back to you. Why do you think that enjoyment is the meaning of life?

Ps. Don't worry about being condescending. You're sexy when you're like that.

Ps. Don't worry about being condescending. You're sexy when you're like that.

Hahahahaha :rainbowlaugh:

So, here's a question back to you. Why do you think that enjoyment is the meaning of life?

Well, this is the way that I see it.

What I feel like you were describing before, was the pursuit of improvement. The desire to better ourselves. You were saying, I believe, that is what we should be striving for.

But you see, striving for improvement is simply a form of pursuit of happiness.

You see, we could improve ourselves infinitely. But for what purpose? In the end, there is only one thing we can do with life; enjoy it.

You see, sure, making your life worth it is certainly something that many people get a lot of fulfillment out of, but you see, that is a form of perusing happiness.

So I guess what I'm saying is... everything that the human race does, ever, is in the pursuit for happiness. If not directly, at least indirectly. We may start wars, but we start wars in the hopes that our values will win the fight, and make the world a better place. We make dedicate ourselves to science, to discovering how the universe formed, but why?

Because some of us may take joy in discovering things.

I think that in one form or another, the only point of life is to enjoy it. Really, that's all I think there is to it. As to how you achieve said happiness...

Well, that is a much much more difficult topic. One that I'll bet nobody knows the answer to.

Edit: Dear god, I say 'you see' a lot in this post. Jeebus.

In the end, there is only one thing we can do with life; enjoy it.

Why do you see an enjoyment of life as a better option then suffering through it?

the only point of life is to enjoy it.

> We can't find an answer to the meaning of life, so let's just turn off our brains and give in to our instincts. Surely that will bring us closer to the answer...

I think where you're running aground is that you don't know where to differentiate between logic, and emotion. :trixieshiftright: If A is not the right answer, it doesn't necessitate that B is the right answer. It might be something else entirely. Something that you might not even know about, perhaps.

A fly, flying around a light is not spiritually fulfilling itself. It's just being dumb for following its instincts. I think we can be more than just our primal instincts driven apes. That is why I don't like your meaning of life.

4928767 Dude. You're thinking way too much about this. This isn't about the human race. It's about helping friends on a my little pony site get healthier so they can be happy. But if you'd rather let depressed people suffer, no one's stopping you. There's plenty of people to pick up the slack.

4936473 There's no such thing as thinking too much about a subject. Also, there's nothing wrong with keeping the big picture in your sights.

I'm not promoting suffering. I'm just stating that it's okay to suffer. You don't have to end the suffering by any means necessary. There's more to life than just being happy or sad. Those are just primal instincts, irrelevant to the big picture.

Just because I'm using different scale and methods, doesn't mean that I'm not trying to help people.

The reason why MLP site is the best for this is because people here have already proven that they can, at least on some level, resist social programming and can make up their own minds about things.

4936507 Okay, but it looks like your promoting inaction, that we shouldn't help people in need because it's okay to suffer. I agree suffering has its benefits on someone (to a certain extent), but that won't stop me from lending a helping hand. Besides, a lot of people I know who've gotten over their problems look back and learn from their prior actions. It's after they've gotten better that they can reflect and best learn what and what not to do. In the midst of a problem, people are usually too distracted to make those kinds of judgements.

4936523 The way to beat depression is not to fight it. You only grow more depressed if you try that. The way to do it is to accept it and learn to be okay with it.

4936535 Well... okay, I guess. I'd say it mostly depends on the person and why they're depressed. Depression varies widely from person to person.

Okay.

There's no such thing as thinking too much about a subject. Also, there's nothing wrong with keeping the big picture in your sights.

The truest words I've seen spoken all month.

If A is not the right answer, it doesn't necessitate that B is the right answer.

Well...

You're right. You got me. And so, with that said....

Depression (as far as I know) is an entirely psychological thing. As such, two different people could be in exactly the same position, where one is depressed, and the other isn't.

Which means that perhaps Bad Dragon is right. The best way to 'combat' depression is to not fight it. Rather, it is to accept it and learn to live with it. People who are depressed... from my experience, they don't want to change, they just don't want to be depressed anymore.

As for different people being depressed in different ways for different reasons, that is also a valid point.

Perhaps the best way to go about things is to first attempt to eradicate the cause of the depression. Bully, abusive parents, etc, etc. And, if the person is still depressed after that or it doesn't work, then maybe they should learn to cope with it.

Everyone causes their own depression. You are your worst enemy. You are your worst critic.

Perhaps the best way to go about things is to first attempt to eradicate the cause of the depression. Bully, abusive parents, etc, etc. And, if the person is still depressed after that or it doesn't work, then maybe they should learn to cope with it.
Everyone causes their own depression. You are your worst enemy. You are your worst critic.

I've thought the same thing--that the cause is the best way to start. My problem was that "learning to live with it" was rather vague. It sounds like people should just accept that they're depressed and live with it, not actually trying to get rid of it.

There's also people who are chronically depressed. They have no reason or cause to be depressed and just are. That's an entirely different kind that's much harder to cope with.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25