Hazardous Writing Materials and Challenges 236 members · 336 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
HapHazred
Group Admin

Context!

Context is a funny thing. It can completely change what sentences mean and how we perceive them. What might be horrible in one context might be heroic in another. It's also the backbone for many a story, especially those that rely on misunderstandings. In order for successful communication, you must be aware of the context at hand.

So, that's your prompt.

Context

You know the rules by now, yes? No NSFW, an if you made a full on story about this post the link. At the end of the week, it gets added to a folder we make, yada-yada. If it's a story you don't want to publish, well, write it in the comments!

Good luck!

4727141 For my attempt at context, I thought I might write a story about context, where very little of the event described actually happened, merely given context to. Also, HapHazred, I will be stealing your idea of putting the story in quotation marks. Hope you don't mind.

Some argue that it was a warm, bright and sunny day when the unthinkable happened. Many eyewitnesses claim that the sky actually darkened moments before the event, but a few hold firmly in the belief that the sky had been angry and clouded for the previous week. These few said that was a sure sign that misfortune was to come. The weather doesn't really matter though, merely the sky's insightful determination of when ruin was to strike is a curiousity.

The fight took place on cold hard stone, and so it should have. It was fitting that quarrel be held in a quarry, especially as the questions posed quandaries that quelled years of strong friendship. The marble cut away from the sides of the landscape crumbled like the harmony of the two stallion's previously peaceful existence, and the chisel that sliced through the familial bond was not dissimilar to the one used to carve the rock behind them. However, a chiseled stone is one that has not only stood strong through the trial itself, but has emerged as a wonderful piece of art.

It was not hard to imagine that soon the argument would be put behind them, and the two brothers might grow together again, surely closer than ever, but for that moment, they lived in isolation from one another. A mere trifle had become turbulence, which had progressed very quickly until eventually it was only one thing. Trouble.

Sadly, such an insignificant event shouldn't have caused such trouble, but half a sentence is a dangerous thing. If only the eldest had merely paid more attention to the conversation, then the quote would not have been nearly so insulting. The elder may not have been able to sell an apple to save his life, but he was definitely capable of buying into a lie. A lie that he told himself, a lie that surely the younger had been commenting on his ability to trade goods as a whole. The truth was far different.

And then they found a tear in the fabric of their friendship. A tear that swiftly unraveled as the elder pulled the thread, speaking of nothing but the mistakes, the screw-ups. What were a few mugs of cider or a few gallons of potion when there were still fools out there, willing to have their money taken? But the elder couldn't see it that way. Or wouldn't. And the younger wouldn't understand for a long time, but this argument had been a while in the making.

Incessant questions from customers are one thing, but it would seem the elder had tired of having to pass on all his knowledge to the younger. Many didn't realise the differences that separated the twins, that they hadn't gone into business together, and the jealous thoughts of what the elder might have done if he were given the same time to grow up as the younger had been eating at his mind. Someone had to take care of them after the fire, and responsibility fell on his shoulders, even though he was only older by five minutes. Life could be unfair sometimes, but when looking at the hand life dealt him, the elder became convinced the deck was rigged.

Which led them to the quarry.

Hmmm... This story could use a lot of improvement, and a bit less of 'telling' and more 'showing' the story, but it's hard to show when you are deliberately holding a curtain up to block the view... Well, it was what I did with the prompt given, so I am happy with that!

HapHazred
Group Admin

4734051 Sweet. I like it.

It is a bit telly, but considering the format, I think it's okay for its size. If it were a full on story, you might have a problem. As it is, I'm cool with it.

You know the rules by now, yes?

Minor point of order -- anyone new to the group won't know them, so maybe it'd be best still to mention them each time, or at least link to them?

HapHazred
Group Admin

4734550 I generally keep an eye on how many new people we have per week, actually, so I'm typically aware of when to go over what these are. I do also generally remind people of the NSFW thing and the global idea is pretty easy to pick up from

No NSFW, an if you made a full on story about this post the link. At the end of the week, it gets added to a folder we make, yada-yada. If it's a story you don't want to publish, well, write it in the comments!

Unless I'm particularly tired, usually I try to cover my bases.

4734566 Sure, but I know if I were new here, one of the first things I'd want to know would be: "Is there a word count limit, and if so what is it?" The other stuff, I agree, is pretty much covered.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4734611 So really, you're confused about our non-existent word limit (scrapped it after people started writing actual stories for here). Or would be, if you were new.

Since I'm not really inclined to put in every single rule we don't have, or at least not when I'm posting stuff after lectures whilst tired, I'm sure everything will be just fine. There will be marshmallows, and rainbows, and plenty of smiles, and then there will be rivers of booze as far as the eye can see! It'll be a paradise of sorts. It shall be magical!

So really, you're confused about our non-existent word limit (scrapped it after people started writing actual stories for here). Or would be, if you were new.

Well, yeah. For a writing contest, I think it's quite an important (non-)rule, far more important than "No prohibitions on stories about cheese" or something. Still, I'm going to shut up now, since I've made much bigger omissions than that in my time. :rainbowwild:

Z Edgelord
Group Admin

Oh, I see the problem. You're confused. The Prompt are not Competitions in any way, just a writing exercise. Ergo, our rules towards them are... fairly limited in numbers.

HapHazred
Group Admin

4734649 I should make a prompt about cheese. Cheese is the best thing after beer.

Unlike the bigger contests, these are really just writing for writing's sake, as Edgy has pretty much said. If they were, you can bet I'd do my best to be much clearer.

Oh, I see the problem. You're confused.

The word you're looking for is "stupid". :P

Z Edgelord
Group Admin

Nah. Would have called you so if I thought you were. I'm never nice to please people.

Z Edgelord
Group Admin

This thread had been deemed Out of Context for too long ! As such, it is now locked and EDGE LOCKED !

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13