Black Feather Project 156 members · 2 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Recon777
Group Admin

Many of you are or were fans of my early writing effort, Nightmare Nyx: Protector of Ponies. Or, perhaps you are a new fan who stumbled upon this tale from some of the older online links floating about. This project has had a rather confusing and dramatic history, beginning with me attempting to write a crossover fic between Past Sins and Fallout: Equestria. The original effort, Nightmare Nyx, was the result of me getting my bearings as a writer. It was the story of Nyx, as an adult, in the setting of the Fallout: Equestria zebra war. Many, many things were wrong with this story, but this was mostly due to my inexperience. The story is now officially canceled.

What takes its place is Black Feather, which is the refined, reimagined, and completely rewritten story which only superficially resembles my initial effort.

Per Fimfiction's rules on rewriting, I will be publishing Black Feather as a separate story in the future.

Don't post “Rewrites” of an old story posted as a new story, unless the changes are substantial. If you are not rewriting your story from the ground up, please just edit your changes into the original story.

Among the many lessons learned from publishing Nightmare Nyx is the value of not "publishing as you go". Especially for very large, complex stories with extensive world building. As a result, I would prefer to publish Black Feather all at once when it is finished. This minimizes the amount of fan disappointment in having to wait for new chapters.

However, Nightmare Nyx has already garnered a fairly decent following, and I'm not the kind of person who likes to leave fans hanging or abandoned. As a result, this forum is now the home for Black Feather during its development.

This is a fresh start and a separate project. I want it to be quite clear that nothing from Nightmare Nyx applies here. Black Feather is a very refined idea with a vastly different standard of quality and an extensive independent universe within which it belongs.

Lastly, it is, of course, not in any way associated with Fallout: Equestria. That should be made clear since it still does have a "zebra war", though the zebra war in this story is nothing at all like that from Fo:E.

I was asked what the plans are for the original published story on Fimfiction. Here are my plans.

The old story is marked as "On Hiatus" currently.

When the rewrite is finished and ready to publish, several things will happen:

1: The old published story will be renamed back to "Nitemare Nyx".
2: Nitemare Nyx will have its chapters reverted to my early drafts when it was still a Past Sins / Fallout Crossover.
3: All nine of my original drafts will be made available in Nitemare Nyx.
4: Nitemare Nyx will be marked as canceled.
5: A brand new story will be published called Black Feather, with brand new cover art made by BDK.
6: All 45 chapters of Black Feather will be published at a rate of one per 3 or 4 days.
7: While Black Feather is being published, we will be working hard on the outline flow for book two of the trilogy.

Nitemare Nyx has a lot of followers. It is still a good way to communicate with the original fan base. Additionally, that story will remain as a monument to my early writing efforts and how far I've come as a writer. The prose is fairly poor by my current standards. And in no way does Black Feather deserve to carry the reputation of my early work.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1