The Skeptics’ Guide to Equestria 60 members · 79 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11
Walabio
Group Admin

An year ago, my country survived an attempted coup. Unfortunately, we have a high probability of losing democracy in the next few years:

To be blunt, Trump lost the election. If you are a loon believing that he won, you are delusional. Trump got 74,216,154 votes (46.9%) and 232 Electoral Votes. Biden got 81,268,924 votes (46.9%) and 306 Electoral Votes. If one is too mentally ill to acknowledge this, then you have my pity.

Trump sent his supporters to overthrow the government and make him President for life. Luckily the coup failed. Frankly, sending 10 to 50 thousand (probably about 25 thousand) CosPlayers to overthrow the Government was a stupid plan.

Unfortunately, Trump has Plan B:

Have loyal politicians to him pass bills in the Red States curtailing voting and getting loyal poll-workers and secretaries of state in place who will choose the Republican Candidate to win the Primary and always declare the Republican the winner during the General Election, despite what the voters want. Our country could become a 1-party State like North Korea under President-For-Life Trump.

¿What sort of Republicans will we have?

Given that the winner of the primary will be chosen by the secretary of state and the secretary of state will declare the republican the winner of the general, we shall not have Republicans like Representative Liz Cheney, Senatrix Murkowski, or Governor Hogan, but a Government of people like Representative Greene, Senator Hawley, and Governor DeSantis. Basically, only 10%, 20% at most, would want to life under such a government.

This could lead to civil war.. If it does not, I can elections ending in a decade because the TrumpRepublicans decide who goes into each office anyway. In the year 2030, I can see a President-For-Life Trump (1 of his children) with a Vice President-For-Live Trump (another 1 of his children). I can see us living in a Single-Party Totalitarian Hereditary Autocracy, very much like North Korea. The big difference is that North Korea is a Communist State, but we would be a Fascist State:

In Communism, the government controls business. In Fascism, Business controls the Government. Hitler was a Fascist. Stalin was a Communist.

Frankly, extremism sucks. I prefer a country with a Free Market and a Safetynet. Basically, Separation of Business and Government, with a Safetynet so that if one loses one's job, one does not have to fight racoons for discarded rancid food in dumpsters.

Extremism sucks:

Generic dictatorships, communism, fascism, military dictatorships, et cetera all suck.

We may not be able to do much about poll-workers and secretaries of state loyal to Trump, but we have 2 bills for voting rights. Unfortunately, the TrumpLoyalists. filibuster them in the Senate.

It is a sad anniversary. Democracy may not survive the midterms. The Election of 2024 could end with Trump proclaimed as President-For-Life.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7626777 I prefer a country with a Free Market and without a safety net. Responsible people form their own safety net.

Walabio
Group Admin

Yes, people should save for a rainy day, so to speak, but some people are just unlucky. The opening sequence of Up is a prime example:

Carl and Elenor Fredricksen fail to save because they are just extremely unlucky and random expensive things insurance does not cover.

I for 1 have a 401K which invests in an IndexFund, but I still want a safetynet.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7626788 Whatever system you put in place, you can be sure that people will abuse it.

I'd establish government-sponsored work camps where food is guaranteed. That would be the only safety net.

Walabio
Group Admin

I do not believe that you quite thought this through:

Some people are the disabled. They cannot work.

In the USA , the safetynet is so bad that homeless who cannot work because they are too mentally ill to work* commit minor crimes in winter so that they end up in warm jail instead of freezing on the street.

* Over a decade ago, we tried to help a mentally ill woman by hiring her. After less than a week, she had a psychotic episode and stabbed the manager. That ended the experiment with hiring the mentally ill.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

commit minors crimes in winter so that they end up in warm jail

That's what I'd offer. Free jail without the need to commit crimes.

Unless you're a vegetable, there's a job in this world waiting for you. The rest are just excuses.

Walabio
Group Admin

¿How about without locking people? These are people needing shelter, so they would want to be there. Indeed, they would be locked out for bad behavior, which is the opposite of a jail:

"Be nice or we kick you out into the blizzard."

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7626873 That's what I'd offer. Work camps. Free food, shelter, all the necessities that a creature needs.

NachoTheBrony
Group Admin

I prefer a country with a Free Market and without a safety net. Responsible people form their own safety net.

Whatever system you put in place, you can be sure that people will abuse it.

I doubt anybody wishes to repeat the clusterfuck that was the New Zealander total welfare experiment of the 80's (IIRC). Nonetheless, you think the Yanklands are any better for going full hog the other way? Better take a took at the rest of the first world:

I'd establish government-sponsored work camps where food is guaranteed. That would be the only safety net.

IIRC, there has been at least one school shooting indirectly attributed to a work camp style arrangement. A single mum was receiving unemployment benefits, which she had to pay for by being driven four hours away to work full time at the food court of some mall. She lost her home, so she and her kindergarten age kid were living with an uncle. Turns out the uncle had a tiny little gun, which the kid thought was a toy and brought to school to play with. And the mother was then brought to court, because it was totally her fault.

If anything, please go and fix your educational system. You're swimming in bullshit.

Walabio
Group Admin

> "Better take a took at the rest of the first world: "

" … Okay, stupidity is in no way a specifically American trait, but when Americans do it, ¡damn, they do it well! … "
——
Beeko

That was the 1st laugh I had all day.

> > " ' I'd establish government-sponsored work camps where food is guaranteed. That would be the only safety net. ' "

> " IIRC, there has been at least one school shooting indirectly attributed to a work camp style arrangement. A single mum was receiving unemployment benefits, which she had to pay for by being driven four hours away to work full time at the food court of some mall. She lost her home, so she and her kindergarten age kid were living with an uncle. Turns out the uncle had a tiny little gun, which the kid thought was a toy and brought to school to play with. And the mother was then brought to court, because it was totally her fault. "

They should not pick on her because the guns are rights. We all know that rights Trump responsibility. As an example people have the right to travel, so if someone unvaccinated with a dry cough and an inability to smell wants to go into a nursing home and cough on the residents, that his his right.

Come to think about it, my father claims that before Trump, one had to exercise rights responsibly. He claims that exercising a right irresponsibility was legally, ethically, and morally reckless behavior. That is just plain crazy-talk. Governor RegeneRon DeathSentence of Floriduh has made it quite clear that rights Trump responsibilities, no matter how many Floridians it kills.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11