Bronies With Blades 150 members · 41 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Is there a specific brand of smaller knives designed specifically for throwing? I have an idea for a story where a character will throw a knife at a lightbulb and breaks it.

Are you looking for a knife specifically, or just a blade/dagger to throw at the lightbulb?

You mean like this?

4311638 specific brand, i like to do my own research afterwards.

4311653 yes.

What kind of blades are those?

4311879 They're actually pretty generic throwing knives you could pick up from just about any retailer, like Walmart. Honestly, if you want a historically significant small throwing knife, go with the Japanese Kunai. Looking at the picture I posted, those actually look like a variation on the kunai

Cold Steel makes specialty throwing knives and they are excellent. Hit up the website and call their 800 number and they will send you their proof dvds and a catalog for free. I own several pieces and they are extraordinary.

A throwing knife is not a "brand" of knife. It's a type. :ajbemused:

Generically, we are talking about a knife that rather than be meant to be wielded, is meant to be tossed. It is then differentiated from a spear, dart, arrow, et cetera, in that it is generally shaped like a knife (blade, handle and pommel, rather than tip, shaft and tail), it is generally sized like a knife, and is meant to spin end-over-end as it flies, rather than fly steady.

The best tossing knife has the following characteristics:
1) It's a simple piece of sheet metal, stamp-cut to a simple knife shape. The less fancy it is, the less resistance it offers to the air, and the flatter the sides are, the further it will fly if you ever need to toss it sideways (like a Frisbee). It is also because of this that most throwing knives come with completely unfinished hilts.
2) It is balanced so to favour the blade. This can mean any number of things, but on Western throwing knives it means that the centre of gravity will be more or less in the middle of the knife, so to have a more predictable spin and be more likely to land tip-first. Conversely, Indian Chakrams are sharpened Frisbees and Japanese Shurikens are multiple-bladed, so they can be tossed randomly rather than rely on the art of first judging the distance, then adding the precise spin to make the tip land.
3) It is simply and easily sharpened. A general purpose throwing knife may have its whole blade sharpened, but specialized throwing knives may have nothing but the very tip sharpened.
4) Commonly it is double-sided, so you can just grab it and toss it, without having to stop and check the correct orientation.
5) It is dirt cheap, so you can buy (or make) a gazzilion of identical ones and not be afraid of losing them.

My favourite throwing knives are a set of a dozen that costed me something like a dollar (US) a piece.

Besides, if its for a breaking a lightbulb: why not toss a freaking stone or something, rather than a knife that you could need later?

One place I suggest researching is Bud K, That place has an insane assortment of throwing blades meant never to be missed cost-wise if you lose them. :raritywink:

I'll look at both their sites today.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11