Bronies With Blades 150 members · 41 stories
Comments ( 41 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 41
V-Pony
Group Admin

As the title says, whatcha doin? :scootangel:
Myself?
I'm a collector of blades, a semi-historical guru on their usage and cultural significance, and an all-around enthusiast for sharp things and their responsible use!
I'm also interested in how blades would be used in a pony sense, specifically by Pegasi.

This plays a fairly significant role in a certain story of mine ya'll might be familiar with :raritywink:

Anyways!
From Spyderco and Benchmade, Kershaw to Cold Steel, Microtech to Case and ESEE, I've got a rather large and varied collection to peruse, study, and enjoy. Might even toss some reviews and recommendations up here once in a while. :rainbowdetermined2:

So how about you guys/gals?

Blades are art, form and function all in one, and I am rarely without one while doing any work. I also keep pondering what the Ponies would have come up with in their rise to civilization against the predators.

I love knives and am trained to fight with the CRKT FE9, a beast of a combat knife. Learned from my Karate teacher's teacher, Sensei Arcenio Advincula.

I just like pointy things. I wish I had more. :c

D48

For me it is a combination of practicality and enjoying martial arts. There is no tool in the world that is as useful as a good heavy duty knife (that means something like my KA_BAR, not a flimsy folder that will snap if you try to pry anything with it) so I make sure to have one on hand whenever possible, although office environments are annoyingly panicky about carrying them so that is not nearly as much as it should be :twilightangry2:.

From the other side, I strongly prefer my martial arts to be all about pragmatic combat with no concern for things like tournament or dueling rules. That leaves me with battlefield arts like the German Longsword so I have learned quite a bit about that, although I have never bothered to get a sharp sword because there is no practical use for it.

I'm obsessed with swords, because Asperger Syndrome.

Frankly, I get uncomfortable if I don't have some kind of sword in my general vicinity.

Like most people, I just like cutting people. Being said, I really like writing characters with knives and it wouldn't hurt for there to be some accuracy and technical details in there.

I love Victorinox Saks. It just amazes me how great amount of tools you can squeeze in a tiny package. For example i own one with a built-in watch or one with a lighter. A FRICKIN LIGHTER! :pinkiecrazy:

Do leathermans count? I've been conisddering a standalone knife, but I've never really needed one (yet) for any practical application that can't be handled by my multitool (which can be problematic when you're in high school and living off your parents' money).

Also, I have a non-sharpened sword that I'm not sure whether to dedicate to cosplay or home-defense (with the help of a sharpening-block).

4051249 I know little about blades but would love to learn more.

D48

4061678 Trust me, you want to leave that sword for cosplay. Almost no swords these days are built properly so trying to use it in a fight is almost guaranteed to break it unless it came from a very short list of companies that are known to make good historically accurate weapons.

4051249 My uncle used to own a sword(?) like this:

Pinched it from Google

The thing's basically a very long kukri, about 25" in length. Together, we've murdered many fruits, bottles and a few tatami mats. But he ended selling it because we weren't using it much anymore.

You mean 25 inches, yes?

4065073 Exactly, yes. Not centimeters, Inches. Good God, my mind is derp...

I own a rare prototype blade that was designed for the US Navy.

Blades are just cool.

4064743 For $30 at a thrift shop (and Chinese-manufacturing), I think I'll take your word. :derpytongue2:

My Grandpa taught me to sharpen kitchen knives when I was 6. I now own an assortment of Japanese, Chinese and Western (contemporary) cutlery.

I received a Swiss Army Knife for Christmas, birthday or something when I was 8 or 9. Ever since, 3 decades later, I wear multitools or work knives on my person some 360 days a year. The 5 remaining I'm banging my head for forgetting it.

When I was a kid I had a number of buck-knives, but I don't think I have a single one any longer.

I dislike air travel because it means documenting my multitool.

I travelled around the Pacific Rim three years ago, and my only significant souvenirs for myself were a Dutch oven (bough in Alaska), an Ulu (from Alaska too), a micro-Katana letter opener (from Japan), a Facon knife (from Argentina) and a kukri (bought in New Zealand).

I cannot truly say that my carrying knives has saved my life, but I have rescued myself from ugly spots with my mountain bike.

I have been known to sharpen random pieces of metal because I had need for a special-purpose blade (such as a carpet knife).

I dislike axes. Machetes are much more useful in the jungle.

D48

4065513 Yeah, at that price I would be very wary of what you do cosplaying with it as well because it could easily loosen or even break just swinging it around.

If you want the real thing (or just want to look at it), Albion Swords is a good place to start, just be aware that real blades tend to start at around $500 and can break $2000 in some cases, but high cost does not necessarily mean it is built right so you have to research the company before you buy.

I think D48 is exaggerating a bit by claiming "almost no" swords are made to functional standards - we've actually enjoyed a bit of a sword renaissance in over the last couple of decades and there haven't been this many functional sword around since back before we stopped using them to kill each other.

That said, you usually get what you pay for and 30 bucks won't get you anything remotely good unless the person who sold it had no idea what it was.

That said, don't knock a blade just because it's from China. The Chinese produce a lot of swords which vary enormously in quality. (Again, price is usually a good indicator.)

Albion is pretty high end in terms of price, though, especially for production swords. Sure, everyone pretty much agrees that they are amazing products, but some of us just don't have that kind of spending money.

Plus, if I had a thousand bucks to spend on a sword, I could contact a reputable custom smith and get something just as good made for me to my exact specifications.

For anyone who's new at sword collection, I'd recommend checking out Kult of Athena, see what is available in a price class you're comfortable with, and check the internet for any reviews. It's certainly possible to get something at least decent for much less than what Albion charges.

Mostly interesting fictional blades, be they ancient legends

Simply there to be cool

Or completely impractical

Blades in fiction are always a nice addition.

After all, the sword was is an important part of history, and even today while it may not be the greatest thing battle-wise they're interesting history, and an invaluable addition to any fantasy type setting.

And I love me some fantasy

Though, I'll admit I'm more likely to be holding a staff then leaping into the fey in fantasy.

4064743 You just need to look for a company that makes full-tang weapons, there are plenty out there... :applejackunsure:

4051249 I'm a practicing medieval-martial artist. That should explain everything. :raritywink:

V-Pony
Group Admin

4069792 Sweet!
ARMA, HEMA, or something else?
:rainbowdetermined2:

You just need to look for a company that makes full-tang weapons, there are plenty out there... :applejackunsure:

Proper tangs are important. There's a bit more to it than that, though.

D48

4066770 You will always wind up paying at least a couple hundred dollars for a real sword. Even a cheap aluminum waster (training sword) will be in the $150 range and I would not touch anything steel that was less than about $400 without extensive research. There is a lot more to a sword than just having decent steel and a full tang, and the cheap ones are usually horribly overweight and terribly balanced so you cannot really use them.

Also, I would not use that site you listed because it looks like a middleman based on the fact that they listed several Albion Swords. Also, their front page advertized movie replicas which are basically guaranteed to be crap so it is very obvious that the quality of their products is not going to be consistent. That means you are better off going directly to the manufacturers because it is far easier to establish the reputability of a manufacturer as a whole than an individual blade which may not be clearly identified.

4069792 See above. Lots of companies make things with full tangs. Very few make real usable swords and it is very hard to tell the difference until you get your hands on the actual blade.

Also, I would not use that site you listed because it looks like a middleman based on the fact that they listed several Albion Swords.

It's true they are a retailer, but they are a very well respected retailer. Pretty much everyone in the various online sword collecting communities know about KoA and recommend them. For many seasoned collectors, it's the first place they look when they want a new sword. I'm honestly surprised you hadn't heard of them yet.

Also, their front page advertized movie replicas which are basically guaranteed to be crap so it is very obvious that the quality of their products is not going to be consistent.

They're not "inconsistent", they are "versatile." They sell pretty much any kind of sword you can imagine at any price range. Movie replicas are advertised as such, and all swords that are considered safe for practical use are clearly marked as either "battle ready" or "stage combat", and anything not marked as such should be considered purely decorative. They're really pretty up front about this - they won't try to sell you a stainless wallhanger by telling you it's a real sword.

Beyond that, you simply have to go by price and reputation.

Also, they inspect all their swords and any flawed product is sold at a reduced price, even if it's something like "the scabbard is slightly damaged, the sword itself is fine."

That means you are better off going directly to the manufacturers because it is far easier to establish the reputability of a manufacturer as a whole than an individual blade which may not be clearly identified.

Actually, KoA makes a point of of selling swords the price they feel that it's actually worth. As such, you can often get them cheaper there than from the manufacturers. And, well, you are going to want to look up what kind of manufacturer you are dealing with anyway.

So if you are considering, say, a Cold Steel sword, you can probably get it at KoA for some 100-300 dollars cheaper than what Cold Steel asks on their own site. Sometimes that amounts to as much as half the official price, because CS is that kind of company.

The only exception I know of is Del Tin, who only allows KoA to sell their products above a certain price range. I don't know if there are other manufacturers who are up to similar shenanigans, but I bet KoA would be happy to tell you.

4051249 blades are my love, hobby, and fantasy

4056747 same here. Even the Aspergers.

D48

It's true they are a retailer, but they are a very well respected retailer. Pretty much everyone in the various online sword collecting communities know about KoA and recommend them. For many seasoned collectors, it's the first place they look when they want a new sword. I'm honestly surprised you hadn't heard of them yet.

In that case, I probably heard of them and then dismissed them because I prefer to go to the source and only get as many blades as I need so price is not a huge deal.

They're not "inconsistent", they are "versatile." They sell pretty much any kind of sword you can imagine at any price range. Movie replicas are advertised as such, and all swords that are considered safe for practical use are clearly marked as either "battle ready" or "stage combat", and anything not marked as such should be considered purely decorative. They're really pretty up front about this - they won't try to sell you a stainless wallhanger by telling you it's a real sword.

Yeah, that is exactly why I would not go there. They will have all kinds of things marked as "battle ready" when many of them are horribly built and functionally unusable even though they are physically strong enough to hold up to hitting things.

So if you are considering, say, a Cold Steel sword, you can probably get it at KoA for some 100-300 dollars cheaper than what Cold Steel asks on their own site. Sometimes that amounts to as much as half the official price, because CS is that kind of company.

Well, it is good to know they knock the prices on those overweight pieces of junk down, but the fact remains that you cannot tell the difference between them and a real sword from their website.

V-Pony
Group Admin

4073110 Not to start an argument or anything, but most of my swords have some from KOA with the exception of my BKS stage combat/sparring blades.
They're pretty fair and transparent about what they sell (they're kinda liberal with the "battle ready" classification, though they are only going by what the manufacturer says so research is still a good idea).
Just my 2 cents :twilightsmile:

D48

4073201 Yeah, that is basically what I was saying. You can go there, but the "battle ready" label is kind of meaningless so it is really just a possible way to save a few bucks once you have worked out what sword you want to buy elsewhere which is worth less to me than the confidence of buying directly from the manufacturer.

V-Pony
Group Admin

4073424 The real advantage of KOA is the pricing is usually lower due to them buying blades from the manufacturers in large amounts, kinda like a warehouse. This also allows them to have a much smaller markup than most dealers, as stated on their site. They also have a 45 day return policy, no questions asked (just minus shipping costs of course). They even waive restocking fees once you obtain return authorization. I think that's pretty darn good customer service.
And because they're an authorized wares dealer, they will even work with the manufacturer if a warranty issue comes up.

THAT SAID, there IS something to be said for ordering directly from the manufacturer, depending on who it is. For example, I've known the guys from Baltimore Knife and Sword for over 10 years from Renn Faires and they're pretty cool when it comes to custom orders, repairs, warranties, and just general know-how (I learned how to properly care for high-carbon steel materials from them first, rather a Youtube video-it's a personal thing, but for them to go out of their way to help out like that is, again, major customer service points with me).

I guess when I'm saying is: if one already has an established relationship with a manufacturer and you feel that's the best way to go, by all means have at it! :rainbowdetermined2:
Otherwise, RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!
(And don't be an idiot)

Just more of my 2 cents :twilightsmile:

D48

4073663 That is all very solid advice that is worth considering outside swords as well.

Also, get on Skype.

4051249 The sword itself intrigues me. The blade was arguably one of humanities first steps in technology. I am also interested in the times of swords. Swords and blades in general seem more honest to me. It takes some semblance of strength ,skill,witt, and knowledge. It is what seperated so many dedicated people from the rest. It has been used in many wars and fights. It is a tool. A weapon. And an art. Anyone can shoot a shotgun. But blades are different. They garnish and deserve respect and care to them. If you swing a sword like a baseball bat.well....i dont think it will end to well. I would greatly enjoy learning more about swords and martial arts woth them.

V-Pony
Group Admin

4073680 LOL sorry, I'll have to catch ya tomorrow :twilightsheepish:

I always loved the art o the sword. From magna such as Kenshin to the sci fi like Star Wars. Most men like me prefer a gun or a minigun and while I love to use it in a game like Fallout...I will go back to using a blade over a gun.

4070106 Self-taught. The nearest ARMA locations are 5+ hours from myself. About the nearest thing I could get to real fighting was SCA and even they aren't operating up here anymore. (Living in VT does have it's drawbacks.) Now I'm limited to driving great distances and 'battle-games'...
4070128 That's very true...
4070974 I got my Tinker-Hanwei for about half that and I like mine. She's well balanced and performs well.

In that case, I probably heard of them and then dismissed them because I prefer to go to the source and only get as many blades as I need so price is not a huge deal.

No, I mean, I'm honestly surprised a person who is apparently hardcore enough to buy Albion swords hasn't been hanging around the sort of online communities where that particular link gets thrown around all the time in casual discussions.

Yeah, that is exactly why I would not go there. They will have all kinds of things marked as "battle ready" when many of them are horribly built and functionally unusable even though they are physically strong enough to hold up to hitting things.

Yeah, but that's not KoA's fault.

Just, you know, don't buy those swords if you don't want them.

Well, it is good to know they knock the prices on those overweight pieces of junk down, but the fact remains that you cannot tell the difference between them and a real sword from their website.

But you can tell by going to, say, Cold Steel or Darksword Armoury's own websites, you mean?

Yeah, I'm sure Mr Thompson and Mr Azerad are both going to be 100% honest with you. It's not like those guys have been known to exaggerate the quality of their products or, God forbid, blatantly make stuff up!

Look, all I'm saying is, you are getting the exact same product either way. The sword is not going to magically degrade just because you are getting it from a retailer. If you buy a Cold Steel sword at KoA, it's still going to be a Cold Steel sword. (Except much cheaper.) If you buy a Hanwei, it will still be a Hanwei. If you buy an Albion, you're still getting an Albion. I don't see what you are basing this mistrust on.

D48

4081641 Honestly, I do most of my sword stuff in person where we can actually whack each other to test things and when we talk about where to buy them, we talk about manufacturers, not retailers. It also means I can frequently feel the sword before I buy it which takes all the guesswork out of the process.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 41