Elric of Melnipony: The Group 81 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

This is something I've been thinking about doing for a while, and I'll probably add more posts when the mood strikes me, so here goes. I'm going to start off with some songs that are at least tangentially related to ponies, the reason we're here in the first place.

I know -- there isn't much that has to do with ponies in this song other than the title and the first line. But as a lifelong fan of the Beatles, I wouldn't have felt right if I had opened with anything else. As you can tell from both the musical style and the year of release, this was towards the end of their run. (Then Pinkie Pie went back to Ponyville.)
Dig a Pony - the Beatles (1970)

Moving away from ponies and into the realm of equines in general, this is another tune where the lyrics have very little to do with the title. But you know what? I like how it sounds. And if your only exposure to it is through The Silence of the Lambs (which is where I first heard it), you deserve to hear it all the way through.
Goodbye Horses - Q Lazzarus (1988)

This one is about the largest cousins of the ponies -- not just horses, but big damn horses. It's also a song about longing for simpler times, if you're into that sort of thing. (Interestingly enough, once the iTunes algorithms got wind of how much Tull I owned, they were convinced that I was a huge fan of prog rock in general. "Here's a Yes album you might want to buy! And another! And another!" I rejected tons of suggestions, and even then I don't think it really "got" that I was just a fan of particular artists.)
Heavy Horses - Jethro Tull (1978)

I've associated this one with Twilight Sparkle ever since seeing a particular bit of fan art that had her looking through a book with some of the lyrics on the pages, and with the right spin on them, the lyrics could be interpreted as being about a visit to Equestria. Plus, ELO was a great band, and Jeff Lynne is an underrated genius.
Twilight - Electric Light Orchestra (1981)

This is another song where the lyrics aren't very pony-oriented, but it's going in based on the title. I have to say that I never understood why Slade never broke through here in the States despite doing so well in the UK (and releasing such great material). Over there, they were kind of a big thing; here, they're just a one-hit wonder. (Or one-and-a-half hits, when you consider that Quiet Riot's chart-topper "Cum On Feel the Noize" was originally a Slade tune.)
Harmony - Slade (1985)

Wrapping it up for now, I'm going to return to the Fab Four. After all, there's only so much that Twilight would be able to do without those other ponies around her.
With A Little Help From My Friends - the Beatles (1967)

Let me know if you hear anything you like. :pinkiesmile:

arcum42
Group Admin

I'd like to say that I'm a fan of all these songs, but to be fair, I hadn't heard Heavy Horses before, and while I've watched Silence of the Lambs, Goodbye Horses somehow passed me by.

OTOH, ELO's Time was a good album, with both Twilight and Yours Truly, 2095 back to back, and the latter's a bit of a favorite of mine. For that matter, I'm the one that wrote a dream sequence where Scootaloo was basically Ringo singing "With A Little Help From My Friends". And I referenced Slade in another story, though not that particular song.

For that matter, how about Slade's Gudbuy T'Jane?
I said goodbye to Jane, goodbye to Jane
Like a dark horse see how she ran

Or, of course, there's always George Harrison's On A Dark Horse...

--arcum42

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

I hadn't heard Heavy Horses before

Lots of people haven't. As you know, some of my tastes are kind of obscure.

while I've watched Silence of the Lambs, Goodbye Horses somehow passed me by.

It's the song the killer dances to when he's trying to make himself look "pretty" and checking himself out in the mirror. Next time you see the movie, you'll probably wonder why the song didn't stick with you before...

I referenced Slade in another story, though not that particular song.

Points to you for knowing their work despite being as American as I am. :pinkiesmile:

Or, of course, there's always George Harrison's On A Dark Horse...

I forgot about that one, despite being a fan of George's solo work. In my defense, I don't consider that one as strong as "What Is Life" or "My Sweet Lord" or several tracks off the Cloud Nine album.

arcum42
Group Admin

Lots of people haven't. As you know, some of my tastes are kind of obscure.

A lot of my tastes get that way too, really. I'm the one who listens to strange musicians like Klaus Nomi and Nina Hagen from time to time, after all.

Points to you for knowing their work despite being as American as I am. :pinkiesmile:

I was looking for songs involving running away, and not only was the song good, the music video had lots of silliness.

I forgot about that one, despite being a fan of George's solo work. In my defense, I don't consider that one as strong as "What Is Life" or "My Sweet Lord" or several tracks off the Cloud Nine album.

I had a slightly warped cassette tape of the On a Dark Horse album for a long time, and ended up hearing songs like "It Is He" and "Faster" many times...

Of course, one of my favorite bits of silliness of his was The Pirate Song.

--arcum42

Cryosite
Group Contributor

What the. Where am I? How did I get here? Why do I feel so lethargic?

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

:ajbemused: If you didn't like it, you didn't have to say anything at all.

This isn't exactly related to ponies, but I love the song, and it's very very fitting to a character in my story.

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Contributor

You forgot this one.

Of course, one of my favorite bits of silliness of his was The Pirate Song.

Stiiiiiiiiiill laughing.
~Twi

I've associated this one with Twilight Sparkle ever since seeing a particular bit of fan art that had her looking through a book with some of the lyrics on the pages, and with the right spin on them, the lyrics could be interpreted as being about a visit to Equestria. Plus, ELO was a great band, and Jeff Lynne is an underrated genius.
Twilight - Electric Light Orchestra (1981)

Words cannot express how much more I love you. I love ELO so much, and I find myself listening to Out Of The Blue quite regularly. Their style is just so... perfect to me, and Jeff was one of my idols when I entered my teenage years. That's what music can do to me.

And it's a great pick! I hadn't actually thought of the parallels until I read your post, and it's just now occured to me after some thought that I can actually see them. The only other contestant that I could think of to associate with Twilight is Shooting Star by Owl City. I can't be the only one, because it got an animated video a while back.

Cryosite
Group Contributor

Not the joke I was making. More about the group suddenly having activity.

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

For no real reason at all, here's one of those songs I never seem to get tired of:
Modern Love by David Bowie

arcum42
Group Admin

Well, it is David Bowie. I'd probably add:
Under Pressure by David Bowie and Queen
Starman by David Bowie
Space Oddity by David Bowie

Of course, who can forget David Bowie as the Goblin King in Labyrinth...
Dance Magic Dance

--arcum42

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12