The TwiCord Group 653 members · 206 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

I know this is completely of topic, but who has watched Rainbow Rocks? I just finished it and here's a little tid-bit on it.

I felt a few characters where a bit OOC, and the plot was......Interesting to say the least.
The antagonists were... You know, I don't even know how to describe them. The music wasn't bad, but it was like watching Magical Mystery Cure all over again. By the end, I actually started to like Sunset Shimmer, and judging by the journal she used, combined with twilight's mirror thingy, she may be making an appearance in season 5.
Sadly, our lovely Lord Discord didn't make an appearance.

So who's watched it? What did you think?
And if you haven't watched it, will you? If so, want a link?

Also, have some Twicord.

HA! take that Dking

I've seen Rainbow Rocks, and well... after 5 mins you kind of know exactly where its going to go. Add to that the fact that everyone but Sunset and Vinyl were holding tight to the idiot ball, and I didn't care for it.

Okay, I don't have the time right now for a full reply, but I'll do that later. But for now, who exactly was out of character? Are you thinking of the mane six? Because they weren't out of character at all. In fact, I think that they were perfectly in character. You have to remember that the human mane six aren't the pony mane six and haven't had all the friendship lessons they have. In fact, they've only been friends for something like a few weeks (or however long it's been since the first movie; that's still not clear). The humans are basically at the same place the ponies were back in season one.

I saw RainBowRocks. I traveled an hour for seeing it in the theater. ¡I love it! I feel sorry for those who did not sit in the FrontRowCenter with a THX1138SoundSystem. I Have it in 1080P on my computer (nose against the screen wearing headphones is not as good as the Big Screen with THX, but one takes what one can get). It is definitely worth rewatching:

It is full of gags and EasterEggs like Sonata Dusk believing that it is TuesDay just because she sees a poster advertising TacoTuesDay (no tacos in the dining room —— ¡Sonata Dusk is a drooling moron!) If one looks for Vinyl Scratch, one can see her not fall under the influence of the Sirens. Speaking about DJPon3, if one watches the scene where the HuMane 5, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Spike, and SunSetShimmer discuss what to do in SugarCubeCorner, Vinyl Scratch walks past them and with music leaking from her HeadPhones and orders from CupCake. ¡This is the exact same scene from in “Music To My Ears” from a different perspective!

I have not covered even 10% of the EasterEggs and gags in the movie. I highly recommend it.

I already explained why the characters were not OOC at all, so I'll skip that point, unless you have anything else to say about it.
The antagonists were fantastic. They were incredibly competent and effective, and they carried their plan out perfectly. They probably the most successful and competent villains the show has ever had. The only other villain who is even worth comparing to them in terms of competence is Tirek (unless he was really being played by Discord the entire time, which is a point that I'm still not sure about) (technically, Sombra didn't really do anything wrong either, but that's only because he didn't do anything, so I'm not counting him). Plus they probably have more screen time and characterization than almost any other major villain (Sunset and Discord probably have them beat if you count their post-reformation screen time, and Sunset might have them beat without it, but I'm not entirely sure).
And as a nice bonus, we had an excellent showing from secondary antagonist Trixie! Remember how Trixie was so prideful and boastful, but couldn't back it up at all when she first appeared? Well humanTrixie has exactly the same attitude, but she actually has the skill to back it up. So she was great too.
I think the music was amazing, and we should just make Daniel Ingram an alicorn princess already. I assume that when you say it was like "Magical Mystery Cure," you just mean that it was full of songs. Personally, I don't have any problem with that at all. MMC was one of my favorite episodes specifically because it had so many songs. The songs were one of the few good things about the first movie. The songs are one of the best things about the entire show. You will never here me complain about MLP having too many songs.
Personally, I liked Sunset back in EqG, but she was great in this movie too. She's obviously not the first villain to be redeemed in the show, but she is the first one who has actually had to seriously work for it and has unarguably earned it.

Explain. I think everyone's actions matched their characters pretty well. You could argue that Twilight should have asked for help, but with everyone telling her that of course she could figure out the spell herself, I think it makes sense for her to try to live up to those expectations. Maybe you could argue that Spike shouldn't have been encouraging that attitude, but I think it fits his character to believe that Twilight can do anything.
The rest of the mane six might have done some stupid things to, but as I mentioned earlier, it all fits their characters. Remember that, while they are friends, they don't actually like each other very much. In fact, they all hated each other with a passion up until halfway through the first movie, which I still think couldn't have taken place more than a few weeks before this one. (There's definitely some weird time stuff going on between the worlds. We know that RR takes place after season 4 because we see Twilight's castle, and the entirety of season 4 had to have taken at least a few weeks, if not a few months. But we also know that RR starts with the Dazzlings seeing the very end of EqG from a distance, and there's no reason why they would wait months before striking.) Remember back in season 1 how the mane six often didn't get along very well? If not, go watch "Look Before You Sleep" and "Fall Weather Friends." That's where the mane six are right now.
If you were talking about the Dazzlings, then I have no idea what you were thinking. Yes, Sonata is an idiot, but the Dazzlings as a whole are extremely competent and pulled off their plan perfectly. So I don't know how you could think that they were anywhere near the idiot ball.
And if you were talking about anyone else, they were under the Dazzlings' spell, so they weren't thinking straight.

Your claim that the plot is predictable is fair, but that doesn't stop it from being enjoyable. And really, you could probably say the same thing about every single episode of the show.

It is full of gags and EasterEggs like Sonata Dusk believing that it is TuesDay just because she sees a poster advertising TacoTuesDay (no tacos in the dining room —— ¡Sonata Dusk is a drooling moron!) If one looks for Vinyl Scratch, one can see her not fall under the influence of the Sirens.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught those.

Speaking about DJPon3, if one watches the scene where the HuMane 5, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Spike, and SunSetShimmer discuss what to do in SugarCubeCorner, Vinyl Scratch walks past them and with music leaking from her HeadPhones and orders from CupCake. ¡This is the exact same scene from in “Music To My Ears” from a different perspective!

It's actually not. It's similar, but still pretty different. In "Music to My Ears," Twilight, Sunset, and Spike aren't there, everyone's sitting in different places, and the other students sitting inside and outside of Sugar Cube Corner are different. In the movie, the gang doesn't acknowledge Vinyl at all, and Mrs. Cake spends a lot more time preparing her order.

> > “Speaking about DJPon3, if one watches the scene where the HuMane 5, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Spike, and SunSetShimmer discuss what to do in SugarCubeCorner, Vinyl Scratch walks past them and with music leaking from her HeadPhones and orders from CupCake. ¡This is the exact same scene from in “Music To My Ears” from a different perspective!”

> “It’s actually not. It’s similar, but still pretty different. In ”Music to My Ears,“ Twilight, Sunset, and Spike aren’t there, everyone’s sitting in different places, and the other students sitting inside and outside of Sugar Cube Corner are different. In the movie, the gang doesn’t acknowledge Vinyl at all, and Mrs. Cake spends a lot more time preparing her order.”

You are right about that. I was mistaken, but speaking about the HuMane Vinyl Scratch, her HoodOrnament is a pony. ¡That pony is the Mane DJPon3!

¡We have Gummy with teeth, Bolder, Maud Pie, and so much more!

Well, here's what I think Discord should look like if he ever appears over there.

Like Vlad Plasmius from Danny Phantom.

And I liked the movie. It had its moments. I certainly like Sunset Shimmer better now. I'm just ready for that actual all-pony movie coming soon. :P

Ok, having re-watched it I will concede that yes most of their behavior can be explained by them not having been friends for long. However I was able to remember all the other reasons I don't like this movie.

1. The repetition:
Fun drinking game, drink every time one of these happens.
HuMain5(or Twi): something blatantly offensive to Sunset, fallowed by "no offense"
Sunset: "none taken."

or

Adagio: Exposition or something explaining their plan
Sonata: Something incredibly stupid
The bitchy one who's name I don't remember: Something cruel to Sonata. (Drink twice if its "You're the worst")

2. Subtly
This movie is as subtle as a fiery brick to the face.

3. NOTHING gets explained
Why are the Sirens still teenagers?
Why do the EoH activate when the HuMain5 play music?
Why has no-one questioned the fall formal event?
Why haven't the Sirens concurred the world yet?

4. Spike
Mostly left over hate from EQG, but WHY IS SPIKE A DOG.

5. Sunset Shimmer
Or rather everyone's relation with Sunset. The rest of the school I get, but even the HuMain5 treat her pretty badly when they aren't ignoring her. They do know that she basically ran this same plot in the last movie why don't they ask her for some help. Twi almost has a moment with her and then it goes nowhere.

6. Maud
Why is Maud an idiot, she wasn't one in the show, she was actually really smart.

7. What?
Why did the Sirens put the Rainbooms in the finals only to have Trixie take them out of it?

and finally

8. The uncanny valley
This movie just seem really off to me. It was a problem with the first one to. They have these characters with the same names and similar characterization, and even recognizable character design, but they aren't the same. It gives the whole movie a scene of offness for me.

Even though the movie has its flaws I still loved watching it :twilightblush: I love the soundtrack too, I think Daniel Ingram should get more credit :pinkiesmile: "Welcome to the show" is initially in a 15/8 time signature, which is a hard feat :derpyderp2: it's little things like that I love :raritystarry: the other day I was listening to Shine Like Rainbows on the bus home from school and a rainbow appeared across the sky, I felt quite emotional :fluttercry:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9