Golden Oak Book Club 205 members · 9 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Cerulean Voice
Group Admin

Damn... I completely forgot about all of this again. I am worst admin, truly. :raritydespair:

Anyway, coming out in front by a landslide, the greatest victory margin yet (7:3:1), is MrNumbers' tale. May it entertain us all. This actually marks the first time we've voted in an Incomplete story as well.

In a world of brass and steam, Twilight Sparkle had thought she had made a life-changing discovery with the invention of the telescope.
In a very real sense, she was correct.
Now her discovery has not only changed her life, but the lives of those she seeks out in her desperate attempt to contact the only other creature as lonely as Twilight herself.
It all would have been much simpler, but it had to be the one Twilight could only call The Mare on the Moon.
Decidedly not within walking distance, then.

At 41k words, readers have seven days to finish the story before we open up discussion in the Skype group, which you can join by shooting Bad_Seed_72 or I a PM. If you do not have a Skype account, or do not wish to join, this thread will also be opened after seven days from today for discussion.

We also encourage commenting on the actual story.

Happy reading, everyone! :twilightsmile:

And we're live again now! How did you find this one? Our first incomplete story.

I'll post a bit since I'm not feeling all that well at the moment, but...

I friggin' love this story. :D It's different and there's just enough worldbuilding to go, "Yeah, that's awesome!" and so many questions that I want answered! Celestia in the final published chapter alone is just... dang!

I think it's an incredibly good story – hits pretty much all my sweet spots: solid writing, amazing worldbuilding/AU exploration, great characters, and (well-written!) Twiluna. The Mourning Princess thing is just icing on the cake.

I do, however, find the chapter wherein Twilight describes how much she despises the nobility to be a bit... much. Especially when Rarity voices the same opinion despite being so heavily involved. It's not pleasant to read and it retreads a well-worn trope of "the equestrian nobility is literally cancer" that I've grown sick of. It's probably the main reason why most fics exploring political intrigue always bore me.

Other than that, though, one of the best stories I've ever read on this website. Two thumbs up and a pat-on-the-back to MrNumbers. :D

This story is soooo good. I literally just blew through the 40,000+ words in like 2 days.

I just love how really solid the worldbuilding is. Also I do love how the Mane 6 are handled, with really all of them having strong introductions and good interactions with each other. (The best is especially when Twilight introduces RD and Pinkie together and technically learns how to share friendships.)

Plus I seriously want to know what the hell is going on with Celestia. Her whole freak out in the last chapter was really just a 'Wow, this isn't normal Celestia'.

I'm already super excited for more chapters. Like come on MrNumbers, MORE OF THIS PLEEAAAASE?! :pinkiehappy::heart:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4