Golden Oak Book Club 205 members · 9 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16
ToixStory
Group Admin

Hope you all are having a great November, because it's time for another suggestion thread! We''ve been growing steadily and getting some great discussion lately, so hopefully that trend continues! As always, remember the rules:
-You may not nominate a story you have written yourself at any time.
-Sensual fiction (i.e., not outright clop) can be suggested in the non-NSFW group, but must follow site rules in discussing it.
-The length cap for normal story discussion is 100,000 words, but longer stories can be discussed in the splinter discussion thread. Stories of different length will have different time limits to read them, as well.
-The reading time allotted is seven days for 50k word stories and under, while stories between 50-100k will be given up to fourteen days.

With that said, I'll get the ball rolling by suggesting Scale by shortskirtsandexplosions

Daring Do goes on an epic quest to cross magnificent landscapes, to scale impenetrable boundaries, and to transcend herself.

Cerulean Voice
Group Admin

I nominate One in a Million, by Ocalhoun

After years of trying, Scootaloo finally discovers her special talent.
It's the worst thing that ever happened to her. She'll have to leave Rainbow Dash and all her friends behind as she's forced to go off and learn about her new talent... and then it gets worse.

For the second time, I nominate Monster in the Twilight.

[Sad] [Adventure] [Alternate Universe]

We all know the story of how the Princess’ young student and five friends defeated Nightmare Moon, and brought Princess Luna back to our lands.  But what if the tale were false?  What if the young Twilight Sparkle on the event of her entrance exam had not been rescued by Princess Celestia, but instead lost her mind among the power of her youthful surge, and had to be sent away, far away before she could destroy all of Canterlot with her newfound power.  Now the feral unicorn prowling the Everfree Forest only vaguely remembers her past, slipping away from constant terrifying attempts to capture her.

And she is beginning to remember what true power felt like.

Cerulean Voice
Group Admin

Now, I don't believe there is actually an official rule against this, although I did contemplate it for quite a while.
I'll let this pass this time, however I will make it a rule from now on that you cannot suggest the same story twice in a row. You may, however, suggest the same story every two threads.
...Yeah, should have made that rule sooner :facehoof:

I recommend In Memory Of by Obselescence.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I'm sorry I haven't written in a while. Things seem to be falling through the cracks lately. Spike thinks I should go see the doctor, but...

Looked back through the previous threads and was surprised to not see this one in a nomination list:

Ghost of a Rose, by Noble Thought.

The world around Roseluck is slipping away piece by piece.
When all that remains are memories and the scent of roses, a friend tries to help her hold onto them before they fade away.
Before she fades away.

KK
I nominate T Shades of Grey by Metaphor

[Romance] [Sad] [Slice of Life]

During one of Rarity's many visits to Canterlot she begins to find herself questioning if the life she dreams of is the one she really wants. What caused this change of heart? What could come between Rarity and the life she has always wanted? Will she be willing to give it all up to help a single pony in her hour of need and in turn what will this pony do for her? Will she return the feelings that Rarity shows or simply walk away?

Yeah, that's right. Total shipfic. With political intrigue. What trash.

3781243 Sorry, I didn't know that.:raritydespair:

I nominate Off the Edge of the Map by Daetrin.

The Proper Care and Feeding of Monsters

By Cold in Gardez

Fluttershy's kindness to all creatures is legendary in Ponyville. When a freak storm blows in from the Everfree Forest, however, she and her friends discover the limits of compassion, and the dangers of living with your heart wide open to the world.

Alrighty then, I'm gonna go out on a limb today and suggest some HORROR.
Truth be Told by obabsribbler

Pinkie Pie awakens one morning to find a strange lump on her back. She doesn't think it's a big deal, but as time goes on it grows and bizarre changes begin to take place inside her.
In Ponyville, something is stalking the citizens. Can anypony stop what's happening before it's too late and their world is irrevocably changed? Of course, you can only save the day if the danger hasn't found you before you even know it's there.

The description may be a bit vague, but any more would be spoilers...

I nominate When Two Hearts are Daring by Pigeonsmall

Rainbow Dash wants the latest Daring Do. And she'll get it, even if it means sharing the only book in Cloudsdale with the biggest jerk in Cloudsdale.
Slice of Life + Adventure

3781128 3781157 Seem like interesting picks. I've read Ocalhoun's story... but I got annoyed at it int eh second chapter for reasons I can't remember. But since it's complete, maybe I'll give another shot.

3781498 That's a really good story...
3781199 And that will elicit a LOT of discussion.

I recommend (I don't know why but I have a habit of recommending Eakin's stories:

A Taste of the Good Life

(Romance, Slice of Life)
Main Course is a successful chef and restaurant owner. Or he was, anyway, until a fire tore up his life's work and left him adrift. When he visits his sister in the rural backwater town of Ponyville, he discovers an abandoned building that's perfect for a quick fix-up so he can flip it for a profit. But the building comes with an unforeseen tenant, and when he lets her stick around he discovers that maybe, just maybe, there's something out there more important than wealth and fame.

And that will illicit a LOT of discussion.

What's illicit with that story? I didn't see anything illicit with that story. =x

For me, I'd recommend:

Whip and Wing

[Random] [Crossover] [Adventure] [Human]
The Medallion of Light and the Medallion of Shadow are some of the most powerful yet obscure artifacts of antiquity. Created by a now-vanished cult of assassins, the two devices together give their bearer the incredible power to walk the worlds with but a single step.

Nefarious forces are closing in on both artifacts, and very little stands in their way. Heinrich Himmler's agents covet the medallions for the greater glory of the Third Reich. Ahuizotl's simply want their master to get what's coming to him: the world, and everything in it.

3784244 Fixed. Oh that story? It's a classic... but I had some issues with the ending and the Reveal :P It was good for what it did though.

Yep. The ending and reveal were a little off-putting and I had some issues with a bit of the characterization but overall, it was a nice story. :3

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16