Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

Well, after that last review, I ended up having to take a small hiatus to deal with IRL shenanigans, which include but are not limited to my cat Leia going into heat for the first time and Grandpa and me setting up times for more driving lessons. And getting little sleep because Leia and Claw would not shut up (I'll let you guys take a gander on the why.) That said, with only thirteen fics left to review, I'm going to tackle one that is short if one were to look at the grand scheme of things. https://www.fimfiction.net/story/206957/brave-new-worlds Brave New Worlds.

Genre is Adventure and Alternate Universe, but I strongly feel it should have Sci-Fi and Mystery tags added as well. Why, I'll get to shortly.

Wordcount is 44, 123 words long, divided into a total of five chapters. Read the first one, because the fic is cancelled and the chapter is 8k words long by itself. Just enough for me to soak in the setting.

Grammar: 5/10, rampant with '"Oh, wow." She stated,' instead of '"Oh, wow," she stated' errors and missing words. And it gets a bit wall-of-texty in places.

Characterization: Well, Twilight, Celestia, and Luna are averagely in-character, but there's a justification involved: one took over, the other two were out cold for two thousand years, and just woke up to find so much has changed their brains effectively boggled. Amazingly enough, Twilight took over WITHOUT going alicorn in the process, the specifics of which are shrouded in mystery because Luna underwent a hefty dose of memory loss as a side effect of having severe mental issues treated. All in all, a reasonable 7/10 on this one.

Use of show canon: Minimally; again with justification. Celestia and Luna being able to control the sun/moon was a power ploy, and they had a throne. Also, the Nightmare is referenced. The whole Midnight Sparkle thing is also noted, albeit in a different way. 4/10.

Plot consistency: Kicked off with a solid platinum boot. Established right away two fronts, and stuck with them. 10/10.

Use of OCs: Had to give this some thought, but we've robots filing in this role, in addition to a detective. All in all... 4.5/10; fleshed out well, but more focus is on the robots than any flesh-and-blood OCs, the detective included. And the robots come off as... average, despite the personality they display.

Coherence: 10/10. Kept an air of suspense without sacrificing the reader's ability to understand.

Extra things depending on genre: Alternate Universe got cranked up to eleven here, and then went sideways to boot. 10/10 for this alone. Adventure is a bit slower to catch up, but likewise still in effect. 7.5/10 here.

And now, the verdict. The story scores 58/80, or 72.5%. It is rejected, albeit barely. Cancellation aside, it does have its issues, largely in grammar and OC fleshing. Had these issues been rectified, I'd have been hooked. As it stands, though... leaning towards decent, but does have flaws.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1