Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 136 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 136
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

A bit of a quick question, if you will: Should mods and contribs add their own stories to the one submission folder we have, or should there be a separate folder for said mod/contrib stories? I was asking because it's been bugging me most of this day. :unsuresweetie:

hailspider
Group Admin

3640217 Having another folder implies that they would be graded differently. So, I'm against it. Pretty much, the only rule needed for this situation is Don't review your own story.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3640225 Ah, okay. (Must be lawnmower stress causing my brain to act funny....)

3640217 What 3640225 said. By the way, we got a banner and group icon.

hailspider
Group Admin

3640281 Yeah, what's up with that? And the banner needs some work, so that we can actually see the picture instead of just Twilight's horn and a bit of hair.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3640294 Synthesizer John suggested the banner being the same as the group icon. :twilightoops:

3640298 Quick note, figured I'd reply here instead of PM. Trombrony98 applied to me and sent a sample review. Looked it over, figure we should let him in. What I'm wondering is, should we have a thread for staff introductions or should we not?

hailspider
Group Admin

3640307 I want a staff intro thread. It will make our group seem more approachable.

hailspider
Group Admin

3640307 Oh, also, can you show me the sample?

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3640307 I'd like the sample thread too.
3640314 Sounds like a plan.

3640318 Sure.

What Happens When Stuff Happens
Random
1,131 words
Grammar: 9/10. A few issues with dialogue, but otherwise grammatically correct.
Characterization: 2/10. Even for a random story, the characters fall very flat, with very little depth.Hardly anyone reacts as they would in the show.
Use of Show Canon: N/A.
Plot Consistency: N/A. The lack of consistency is the main concept behind the story.
Coherence: 1/10. Events are never explained, and the ending comes out of nowhere. Very hard to follow what is happening.
Comedic Effect: 3/10. It relies heavily on one pun, but stops there. Quite honestly, the cover iss probably just as humorous as the story.
Final Score: 15/40 37.5% rejected
Comments: This is a one-trick pony. It may look humorous, but most of the humor can be gotten from the cover. There are stories out there with similar concepts that are better written.

One thing I commented on was that he should lower the bar for characterization and comedic affect a little.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3640331 Overall, I like how he built the review. He should elaborate on it a bit, like what pun is used, but other than that it's good. :unsuresweetie:

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3640340 Tell him I gave the OK.

trombrony98
Group Admin

3640335 Thanks for the tip! I'll make adjustments for it next time I review a story.

Comment posted by Psi-nova deleted Oct 11th, 2016

Hey, Dovahkiin Foxy, make me a contributor. You know I'm good for it.
Don't make me gaunt, make me a cont!
And please don't read into that sentence wrong.
Sincerely yours,
Literally a lemon.

3641337 Must have been a miscommunication.

Comment posted by Psi-nova deleted Nov 5th, 2016
Comment posted by Psi-nova deleted Nov 5th, 2016

You won't regret it.
Maybe you will.
Who knows.

Balancer
Group Contributor

3640217 I agree with what the rest of the guys have been saying, don't make a separate folder. It will just look like we are giving a preferred treatment to contributors...however, that would encourage people to actually contribute and review stories.

At the moment they're kinda building up and most people who join the group are only here to add their story. So maybe by having a system where reviewing a story would make it more likely to have your own story looked at could help cut down the pile of fics we have to work with while encouraging group involvement.

Or maybe I'm just a mad man:derpytongue2:

hailspider
Group Admin

3643599 Should I make a thread for applying to become a reviewer?

hailspider
Group Admin

3643886 It has been created. Now, all we have to do is wait for applicants.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3641440 I've ran into an issue, that being a story that got two reviews--one that states it passed with flying colors, and the other rejecting it. I want to make a new folder titled 'stories with more than one review' for the group in light of the event, but I still need a majority vote.

3706536 I'm all for it. However, it should take an admin to deem a story worthy to go in there. :trixieshiftright:

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3706569 Yes, it would. I shall make the folder right away.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

One: Perhaps future reviews should be done by no more than three reviewers. Have two people review a story and if both pass it, it passes. If they both fail it, it fails. If one passes it but one fails it, enter a third and final reviewer. Deciding is by majority.

Two: Consider allowing reviewers to review stories that have either passed or failed and reevaluate it for a differing opinion if they so desire. If the new reviewer has a different opinion, post a new review thread and seek a third reviewer for a final decision.

These suggestions were offered to me by The True Dragoon. I was thinking about enforcing the second one more often. Yay or nay?

Psi-nova
Group Contributor

3706575 haha. It's all good.

hailspider
Group Admin

3706641 The first bit is unlikely to be used, but the second part is a good idea.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3707402 Yes; so the first bit will only be used as a drastic measure--nothing more, nothing less.

trombrony98
Group Admin

3708071 Seems fair enough.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3706569 I was thinking about doing a Master List of all stories that are accepted, rejected, and placed in the two-reviews folders. Yay or nay?

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3717511 Hmmm....
3717516 Gonna need another vote since one went 'meh.'

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3643471 This group's been kinda dead. How about this: a review every week from a different person to keep things running smoothly?

Psi-nova
Group Contributor

3891413 yeah, sorry. Been so half here with my own story I keep meaning to return and start reviewing stuff again.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3891424 Ditto, except I've three re-writes, a revision, and a few separate stories to keep up with. :twilightoops:

hailspider
Group Admin

3891413 That's a decent idea. I actually forgot about this group until just now...:twilightblush:

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

3891440 Damn. Guess I should promote it in the Bureau or something.

3891413 Sorry, been caught up with life. Yeah, I'll try to start reviewing again. Should we make a spreadsheet to see who goes a certain week?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 136