Weekly Contests 373 members · 110 stories
Comments ( 86 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 86

Hello there my fellow writers!
Have you ever thought of your own character? Your own you in the MLP: FiM universe? Well here's your chance!
I am running a contest for those interested in the creation of their own Original Characters. The thesis of this contest is: What is your Original Character's origin story.

This contest will run from NOW - August 1 The date has now been updated, to accommodate those who are finishing classes in early June and to give more time for writers.

Rule:
-The story can be any number of chapters, but no more than 20,000 words total.
-So long as the primary focus is your Original Character, any other character(s) are allowed.
-Your character doesn't need to be a pony or Alicorn. Changelings, Diamond Dogs, Dragons, Griffons, Zebra, etc are equally accepted.
-The rating must be around teen rating, or mature but no sex or gore.
-Only one entry per writer. If at some point during the contest, you change your mind, you can enter that new story, but you will need to remove your first story from the competition.

Judges:
-Alchemicgree
-Voltsthevoltvolts
-TJPet2

Prizes:
-A full review of your story and character on my blog
-Your story shall be placed in the "Winner" folder in this group.
-Your character's art commission by Arylett-Charnoa
(Here is an example of her work)

I have been receiving messages for clarification on what I'm looking for. I want contestants to write about an Original Character's Origins, or Back Story.
For Example:
Dawn Rune was the personal student to Princess Luna. But how did he become her student? Did he simply ask, or did he beg?
So I could write a story about how Rune became Luna's student. That is what I mean by a piece of the character's back story.
So I want you to take a piece, or a whole of your character's back story and write about that.
Other possible origin stories suggestions (but limited to)
-How the Original Character (if pony) got his/her cutie mark.
-A coming of age where the character had to learn something about themselves.
-Think of a characteristic of your character, how did he/she develop this characteristic.
-Something from the character's past that help define their present self.

4354968 Does this have anything to do with the fact that the OC Slamjam contest is starting soon too?

Actually no. I actually didn't know there was one. :rainbowlaugh:

Lady Lorelei
Group Admin

This sounds Lovely, I'm so glad many others are coming to our threads to post contest's!:raritystarry:

As a Admin of the group, I have sticky placed this contest within the threads, so many can get a good view.

I will also create a blog on this to try and get you some more entries, Bad Dragon should be by sometime soon to do the same.

I might enter this contest, sounds fun and I have a Oc in Mind.

Also as Admin I adore helping out with contest's when I can, That said I'd like to offer a Prize for this contest- I'll be willing to pay for a Flat Color Oc Creation or perhaps even A Flat Color Oc Creation with a Abstract Background commission.

Let me know if that'd be ok, I'd love to help your contest be a enchanting one.:raritywink:

Love, Rare.

Thank you, as a writer, I believe that anything can be written and any character is possible. So I want the writers both new and old to enjoy this contest. Even the writers who don't win the contest can still walk away knowing they wrote a good story. :twilightsmile:

:O

Bloody perfect fot one of the stories I'm working on atm! :)

4354968 As with all the contests on Fimfiction, I'll be promoting this one on my user page in attempt to get you more contenders. Good luck!

Good good, can't wait :pinkiehappy:

Would you also be interested in offering a review as well? I've heard your a well respected reviewer.

This sounds so fun!:pinkiehappy:
I'm gonna join for sure!:twilightsmile:

Huh. Two OC based contests so close together? This could be interesting...

As 4354977 mentioned, there is also the OC Slamjam Contest being hosted by Obselescence, if anyone here is curious about that one as well.

I wasn't aware of the contest actually. It sounds interesting. I would recommend others to check that out. I hope others can enjoy my contest as well.

4355088 I'm very sorry, but I'm really swamped with everything. I haven't written anything for like 2 months now. I'm going to have to take a rain-check on this one.

MyChemicalRomano
Group Contributor

4354968 I'll get started on it soon!!! Closing date?

Lady Lorelei
Group Admin

4355213 Said July 1st above.

MyChemicalRomano
Group Contributor

4355220 Sorry, sometimes I don't pay much attention :rainbowlaugh:

It's no problem mate. I don't want to pressure anyone.

Thank you, but I think I'll need a folder for this contest.

Lady Lorelei
Group Admin

4355234 I'll get right on it. :raritywink:

Also would you like if I offered an Art Prize for your contest?, or if there is anything else I could do to help.

Feel free to ask.

If you are offering that would be awesome. Can I see a sample of your work please?

Smaug the Golden
Group Admin

4354968 You now have a folder.

Lady Lorelei
Group Admin

4355262 It's not my art dear, but a lovely Artist on DA.

It would be my honor to offer up a commission from her as a prize too. :raritywink:

Anything to help out the group.

She had recently got done doing a personal commission for me.

Take a look, she is a lovely artist!

Arylett Charnoa

If you can vogue for her and guarantee she can supply the image, then I would be more than happy to have her offer her art. Her name will of course be credited and placed in the information.

Lady Lorelei
Group Admin

4355277 Yes I can guarantee she will supply the art once commissioned.

My commission was done within a week!:raritywink:

I shall go and Commission her right away then, she allows me to pre-pay so when the winner is chosen all they must do is give her the info!

I shall add her now, thank you

Lady Lorelei
Group Admin

4355291 Your Welcome anything to help out!

Smaug the Golden
Group Admin

4355270 No problem whosoever.

4355291 Is there a limited number of entrys per person? Cuz I could do two of these if I'm allowed.

4354968 Gah! Another contest?! >.> I may or may not join, depending if I can spare enough time for my brain to come up with pony pony stuff. :P

Question: Should our entries be newly written stories or can we submit already-published fics of ours?

4355816 :twilightsheepish: Eheheheh... Eh... Thanks~

Smaug the Golden
Group Admin

Just added that to the rules. :twilightsmile:

4354968 I guess this is good incentive to get back to work on my oc story

This is an update for all users who have commented on this Forum. It has been almost two weeks since this contest began and I have yet to see any stories or confirmation :pinkiesad2: Just letting you know, you can always PM me with any questions, or ask me in this forum. I would like to start reading what you are all willing to submit for this contest. Thank you :pinkiehappy:

4399773 Im trying its freaking finals week for me

Okay, thank you for responding. Hope to see your work.

MyChemicalRomano
Group Contributor

4399773 Sorry, I've been a bit worried in terms of school lately, and I've had writers block the past week. I'll try and get started on it soon

Okay, I'll have to do an update for those still in school. Thank you :pinkiehappy:

The date has been extended, so all those writers still in classes can now focus on their class work and write in this contest until August.

4399809 well i should be done by next month

Sorry mine ran into some issues but WILL be up in time

Okay, as you can see I have extended the finishing date to August 1st.

MyChemicalRomano
Group Contributor

4399805 Now I have, like, 3 contest entries to complete :rainbowlaugh:

Wow... niiice! And I who was worried...oh well summer is busy time fpr me anyway. Barely any time left to anything other than switching from buss to train and back to busses as I go from one camp to an other! :P

Lady Lorelei
Group Admin

That does seem fair, many do seem to be dealing with school.- I might extend my contest as well.

Also I'll try and post up my Oc origin soon, unlike most my Oc won't be shaped into a hero but instead a villain.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 86