FixFics 94 members · 59 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

I've read a lot of fanfics that are geared toward calling out how dissatisfying an episode, movie, or comic was. When I started making my own fics, I came up with some tips that I believe are the ingredients to making these kinds of fics good. Here's what I have to share:

• Make sure the characters at fault know the depths of their wrong actions and suffer the consequences of them. It’s bad enough that they commit such despicable acts, but to not properly atone for them is worse. Make them feel utter remorse for what they’ve done. It would serve them right to be under the tropes: My God, What Have I Done?, Heel Realization, and/or Jerkass Realization on TV Tropes. Give us some karma, what goes around must come around.

• My personal opinion, if you’re doing an alternate take on an event or a sequel to it, I find it’s interesting to have a really horrible villain who takes advantage of the heroes’ terrible actions. An antagonist so vile and so evil in order to direct most of the readers’ contempt from the characters at fault and give them more reason to fix their mistakes, give the readers someone to truly root against. I recommend the villain be worthy of the tropes: Hate Sink and/or Complete Monster on TV Tropes.

• Make the atonement of the heroes’ crimes to those they’ve wronged very heartwarming. What do we want just as much to see jerks get what’s coming to them? Seeing them make amends to those they’ve wronged. We want the characters to redeem themselves to the ones they’ve hurt and the fans they’ve angered.

Do you agree with these tips? These don't just apply to My Little Pony or Equestria Girls fanfics, you can use these to write fics for other dissatisfying moments in entertainment media, like the episode No Such Luck from The Loud House and others. Hope some of you find this interesting.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1