Flash Sentry is Best Pone 56 members · 157 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Hey, Flash fans. Have you ever wanted to show your love for this guy directly to the man behind the character? Well, have I got a proposition for you…

But first, a primer…

It’s been a different year for Equestria Girls, huh? Instead of the traditional film, we had three mini-movies plus a couple of shorts, and if what went down at Hascon is any indication, there’s more on the way. There’s even a Youtube series in the works! Pretty exciting, huh? I’d say it’s been a good year for the franchise, but of course, there’s something that’s been bothering me for a while now. Something that’s been missing…

What’s up with Flash Sentry?

I mean, yeah, he was around in the background a few times but he never really “participated” in the stories in any capacity. We didn’t even get a single line for Vincent Tong. This bugs me because I’ve been a supporter of Flash since the first film back in 2013 and it made me want to see more of him, to have the series do him justice. Sadly, the story of Flash is a bumpy and messy one. Whenever the series took an unexpected turn, he was forced to adapt without so much as a fighting chance. Very little in the current direction of the series is geared towards getting the best of him, and he’s left to sustain on whatever he can get, which is not a lot. Because of this, and the less-than-friendly reception he’s had from certain fans regarding his very specific role in the series, I’ve made it a personal mission to do my best to support him any way I can. I’ve bought Flash merch/toys, I’ve written a lot about his role, its possibilities and how there may be more to him than what’s immediately apparent, and I’ve even written letters (actual physical letters) to Vincent himself, all the way to his manager’s office in Vancouver, Canada. I feel pretty powerless when it comes to affecting how much Flash we can get out of Equestria Girls, so the least I can do is let the one person that matters the most know that I still care.

Last year, I was determined to take this to the next level…

Things lined up for me to attend Nightmare Nights 2016 in Dallas, Texas, where Vincent was a special guest. It was nice to see that there are plenty of fans who genuinely like him and Flash (though the usual jeering was still present and accounted for). I made it a point to show some love to Vincent by giving him a present. The original plan was to get several other Flash fans in on the action by having them mail their own gifts to me so I would pass them on to Vincent. Due to some poor management of the project and a very narrow time window, I couldn’t get a single other present for him. I was disappointed in myself, as I felt that I had partly failed Flash and a few fans who genuinely wanted to be a part of this little stunt…

…I want to try this again. But it WILL be better this time.

Now, I’m not going to any MLP cons anytime soon, but I have something else in mind that could work: I’m going to send Vincent a Flash Sentry digital care package. What I have in mind is to collect a whole bunch of Flash related fan works, put them in a USB drive (a FLASH drive, if you will) and send it to Vancouver. Of course, this isn’t just on me: I want to include as many Flash fans as I possibly can.

That’s where YOU come in…

It can be anything you want it to be: fanart, fanfiction, a letter, anything you can think of to express why Flash matters to you, why you’re a fan of his, and what you want for him in the series. It doesn’t matter why or how. As long as you’re showing him some love, anything goes. It doesn’t even have to be brand new. If you’ve done ANYTHING Flash-related in the past that you’re proud of, send it in. It’s all good. As far as deadlines are concerned, the plan is to have this package sent by the end of 2017, so we still have time to work things out.

BUT WAIT!

We’re not just gonna send this care package to Vincent. I’m planning on sending this as well to both Ishi Rudell and Katrina Hadley, who’ve been directing A LOT of Equestria Girls since at least Rainbow Rocks. While what becomes of Flash may be a little above their authority, it doesn’t hurt to let the other people in charge of bringing Flash to life that there’s plenty of us who believe he matters and want to see him shine.

ONE MORE THING!

I want more than more than just your fan works. I also want your feedback. What do you think of this idea? Would you like to know more? Do you have any suggestions to make this even better?

If you’re interested in participating, or have any questions, contact me at doitforflash@gmail.com. Thank you for reading and I look forward to hearing from you.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1