Anime Lovers 58 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
2THAC
Group Admin

we have 32 members and I didn't even notice...gotta get on here more...

ANYWAY TOPIC! What have you been watching lately? As for me...in the past month or so I've completed 3 short series that I'll recommend to you (in the order that I watched them)

First was Mikakunin...some long name...the English name is "Engaged to the Unidentified". This anime was about a girl suddenly having to live with and be engaged to a boy that just shows up out of nowhere (also his sister). I don't want to spoil the anime but the name kind of says it all. Anyway...it was...an okay anime. Nothing really outstanding. Still give it a watch if you're into anime romcom. There's a cute loli character...that's probably the highlight of the whole show really.

Second was Barakamon. This anime was about a calligrapher who lost his confidence when his work was critiqued in a contest. He straight up punched the guy (like full on punched this old man) and ends up being "exiled" to this island. There he tries to regain his confidence and inspiration in art. There he meets a local child that really helps push him to be better (her along with the rest of the islanders). This was a really good anime. Not only was it really funny sometimes but also just exudes good vibes.

And lastly, I FINALLY got around to watching K-On! (season 1 I'm still working on season 2). This anime is about four (and a little later 5) girls that join the light music club at their high school and form a band. They mostly just drink tea, eat snacks, and goof off but sometimes they manage to get some practice in and play a show. This anime is just...pure cute fluff. Actually it's more than that. The characters and how they interact with one another is what make this anime stand out. I'm not really all that into j-pop/j-rock but I guess it was fun to see them preforming. Anyway this anime is really good.

Nosnibormada
Group Admin

I haven't been watching many anime series lately, but here's one that I can easily recommend: Lupin III (1971).

It is really old, which shows in the quality of the art and sound, but it's a ton of fun. If you can imagine James Bond as a criminal mastermind, who gets up to all kinds of unlikely misadventures with his gang of wacky characters, then you'll have an idea of this show. The plot structure is roughly the same with each episode, and yet somehow slightly unpredictable. It's funny and cartoony, more like Looney Tunes than most anime that gets made today. It's also the first series that Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata worked on together (although it's only the second half of the series that they directed; those episodes are the best), more than a decade before they founded Studio Ghibli.

2THAC
Group Admin

I think I saw an episode of Lupin when I was like...14 or something. At the time I didn't like it because the art was so dated. I've been meaning to go back and give it another shot though since nowadays I don't really mind that kind of thing. I didn't know Miyazaki worked on that show so that's neat.

Speaking of Lupin, I know there's a Detective Conan/Lupin crossover movie thats supposed to be good. If you're looking for an older (80's iirc) series that's the opposite side of Lupin I'd really suggest watching Detective Conan.

Also I don't think I mentioned it since I was on a very long break from this site but if you haven't watched Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun I'd highly recommend it. It's up there with Nichijou as a fave of mine in the slice of life genre.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Join our Patreon to remove these adverts!