Society of Unappreciated Talent 234 members · 74 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
Surprise The Pegasus
Group Contributor

Reviewed by: Surprise The Pegasus

Well...SKITTISH was certainly something, I must say. It's a ghost story which takes place around Nightmare Night at the Chalk Family Cemetery, "the most haunted place in Equestria". The school foals take a tour with a "Miss Dusty", who tells the children of the Chalk family, and whom is later revealed to be a ghost herself. This 3,800 word story is definitely something that most definitely deserves more recognition.

There were more than a few things that I thought were enjoyable about it, and one of them was the excellent grammar, spelling, and punctuation use. I'm very, very particular when it comes to this kind of thing, and all I can do is applaud this story. The author used indentation for dialogue, used the quotation marks and commas correctly, and had proper capitalization. The word choice was rather...strange at spots, however.

"Dusty looked to Cheerilee exactly like a cemetery guide on Nightmare Night."

<This is one of the only things I found that was off. This particular sentence doesn't really flow with the rest of the paragraph, and it was placed rather oddly. But, other than that, and this spelling error

"The children’s guided was a Miss Dusty, Sir,” said Cheerilee.

, all I have to say about this is the good stuff :raritywink:.

For one thing, the names of the Chalk family sound old-fashioned, which is good because they lived hundreds of years ago, and they sound like they're family. And jeez, was that creepy in the right spots! If I were those school foals, I would be pretty scared, too, with the torches, and the splash, and the stallion looking over the fence. Speaking of those school foals, the interactions were fitting of the foals' characters, and they acted like themselves.

Dusty, as an OC, was a well-developed ghost character with a good death story and reason for becoming a ghost. She acts like a ghost would, sad and detached from others. Not vengeful, but sorrowful.

Overall, it was well paced with good grammar, and I only caught one spelling error. And the feels, oh my god...the story was "chalk" full of feels!

Final Evaluation

Category: Appreciation Needed!

Rating: 7/10

-Surprise

Weeping Angel
Group Contributor

Do you do requests for reviews?

Surprise The Pegasus
Group Contributor

No, I haven't in the past. This is my first ever review, actually :twilightsheepish:. Why do you ask?

Weeping Angel
Group Contributor

Because I was wondering if you could do a review for one of my stories...
I get some comments, but none of them are as to what I could fix. It would be helpful if that could happen.

Surprise The Pegasus
Group Contributor

Sure, I'll do a review for you :pinkiehappy:. Which story is it that needs reviewing?

Weeping Angel
Group Contributor

It is incomplete, but could you do Dashie?

Surprise The Pegasus
Group Contributor

Sure thing! The review will probably be done by Sunday, if not sooner. Thanks for recruiting me :pinkiesmile:

Weeping Angel
Group Contributor

Thank you, and no problem!!

2968695 I just realized I never thanked you for your kind review (I thought I had).

Surprise The Pegasus
Group Contributor
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10