The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 74 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 74
Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Q/A Thread

This thread is for any questions that need answered. If you want my reply as soon as possible, please remember to press the reply button and I'll get back to you shortly

If the question is of a serious nature, PM me.

With the stories how is each category reviewed are they rotated or is it the reviewers take witch ever story they wish to do?

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

As it should be today, Reviewers should start with the oldest stories in the folder. Longer stories may take more time, but shorter stories will be reviewed quicker.

Each category is reviewed by a group of Commentators, you can find who they are by checking the group main page. They have the right to choose which story they want to review, but never should they take a newer story over a story that has been in the folder for a longer time. This is because I and others don't want a story to be ignored. The only excuses for skipping stories are these three.

1. If the author of the story has already received reviews for other stories. We want other authors to get noticed, so they will skip the story for a time, then review it in about a weeks time.

2. If it is their own story. I don't need to explain why.

3. If they are short on time, they will default to the next shortest story. Long stories will be notified when their review starts, that way they know their story is in process.

If you find that a folder in which your story is in, seems to be in active, please inform an Admin that way we can crack down on the reviewers or find out why. (Inactive is referring to going 3 week without a review from said folder.)

Biker_Dash
Group Admin

2639762 Any chance that we might find someone who is any decent at writing BBC that could help with the front page and reviewed story list? With how much running and how quickly stories are getting reviewed, I have felt a bit overwhelmed. And now, there are a TON of reviews I need to add, to that list.

The BBC codes can be gathered onto a reference page that will allow any helpers to be able to quickly copy/past the coding.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Not much I can do to help with the Review List, unless you want me to unlock it and Add my own Comment to Edit.

I can handle maintaining the front page, I have a basic understanding of BBC. I am free most of tomorrow so I can add in a bit the the RL. (I just need to remember to let you know the changes I made:facehoof:)

Biker_Dash
Group Admin

2640178 Let me get this figured out... The biggest thing is getting all the links gathered up (Review links, story links, and author links, plus any and all new reviewers)

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Once I am of work, I'll get my double screen set up, and start with some old fashion organization and lend a hand.:derpytongue2:
As of right now, I can only answer questions.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

Something that came up with my first review (and I briefly discussed in the comments with Tidal) - Should the {genre} tag in the review title reflect the folder the fic came from, or the tags the author put on the fic itself?

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

The folder the fic came from.

You can submit multiple stories right? As long as they are only in one folder? I have two stories that I want some comments on and was just wondering.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Yes, you may, to the conditions which you just stated:twilightsmile:

2711529 Alright, sweet. I'll put some more in then.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

I've seen reference to Contributors being able to move stories, but I have yet to see an explanation as to how. Is that actually an option or was I wrong? It feels like I'm skipping part of the job when I review something but can't send it over to the "Reviewed" folder.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Those references where do to my ignorance. Only admins can transfer stories, so if you find or come across a story that has yet to be transferred, let any admin know ASAP and we'll take care of it.

2639762 I'm wondering, when adding a story for review, does it have to be completed at the time of submission?

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

No, It does not. In many ways I would encourage having incomplete stories in the folders. That way we can help you improve future chapters. It is up to you however if you feel the story is ready for review.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

With the new rubric, are we expected to use the "Official" ratings? Because I find myself in situations where the story, while not something I would say "needs heavy work", is also not something I would say I enjoyed.

Basically I want something I can put between "utter disaster" and "yeah, it was fine". Something like "it's not there yet but this could become something I would enjoy with just a little work".

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Though it say's "I" in the rating, it is more to the common reader. I would recommend using it. I however leave it up to you to place your own rating standard, you won't find me stopping you. Just keep in mind that we do have badges being made for each rating.

How about you PM me a list of your ideas, that way I know what you are thinking. I would love to see what you have in mind.

From deleted group comment:

I'm considering joining this group, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Maybe I'm just intimidated by the professional atmosphere...? I dunno. Anyway, I may be interested in filling the spot in Crossover stories, and I may consider submitting a fic or two of my own to this group (when I get the balls to actually write them).

So, should I just join up and wing it from there, or is there some sort of initiation I need to go through? I draw the line at blood sacrifice, just so you know.

EDIT:
Did some research, PM'd admins. Consider this resolved.

Tidal
Group Admin

2776338 Lol... good luck! :twilightsmile:

Any limits (either actual limits or just out of politeness) for how many stories can be submitted? Would it be better for the group if I was to submit as many stories as possible (within reason), or would it be better to keep to my best developed ones, the ones I can't readily find issues with myself? Any guidelines on how many stories per month would be reasonable to submit?

I ask this because I'm taking part every week in the EQD Writer's Training Grounds, which means I have a new story every week (and perhaps even more often than that, if I can get some extra story ideas off the ground).

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

I would suggest submitting stories that you feel are ready. In turn, it is also up to you to how many stories you submit at one time.

I submitted a story of mine into the random folder, but it has some sex it in. Is there a no sex rule? I don't remember.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

2844901 Should be fine, but if our commentator has an issue.... an Admin might review your story.

You are good.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

My wife was wondering if you'd object to a non-brony reviewer. She's only watched a handful of episodes, but the two of us edit for each other, and she's a professional tutor so she has plenty of experience going over other people's writing for them. She was interested in the Crossover folder because she'd have fair odds of knowing at least half the material in those stories, but she won't touch gorefics or clop.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Sure! PM me with more details, though she would have to follow IceboxFroggie's Application to get in. Can't play favorites, but I am looking forward to her contribution!

What kind of extra information would you want? I'm Rinnaul's wife, btw.

Why was My Little Dashie added to the group? It isn't a fic everyone needs to hear about again.

Tidal
Group Admin

2864958 it was added by a commentator and not the original author and it was deleted. Stories can only be added by the original author!

I enjoyed it as a sad story... But at 400,000 views... I don't think it would need a review... Lol but if Rob added it I'd review it.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Your user name is all that I needed to know really. Now, have you already gone to this page here? Just follow the instructions, and with you being your husbands wife and given the info above, I don't think you will have a problem.

Already sent it to IceboxFroggie :D

I'm starting to skim the Crossover folder, since it's a quiet house tonight.

Is it possible to ask for a review of the story, then ask for another review once the story is improved?

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Yes, though the story should also be completed as well. (Unless its a one shot, though you still need to make the improvements)

Ah... okay.
You can expect my story to drop by this group in thirty years or so.

Tidal
Group Admin

2899977 I'm sure we'll still be here :rainbowlaugh:

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

I am afraid I may have been a wee bit vague. For the first review, the story does not need to be completed. For the second review, the suggested adjustments at least needs to be considered and then the story completed.

Sorry, my mind is still not working properly:pinkiesad2:

Hm... Okay.
I guess I'll polish up the story first before submitting it for its first review then.

2639762 Is there a way to request a review, or can you only add your story to the list and wait?

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Its best to wait because people have had their stories in the folder for quite some time. However if you do find some inactivity in reviews in where your story is located; then you can come to me and let me know. I'll do something to get reviews going.

2920828 Alrighty! I just wasn't sure if I needed to take a more active role/effort to get the review or if it boiled down to waiting! ^^

Let's say that someone submits a story that I've already read. Even if that story isn't in my assigned folder, can I write a review on it?

I ask this because I have My Overbearing Aunt (Anthro) in my Favorites, and I've read everything by Kalash93 (including You Obey, Dark). I figure that if I could make someone else's job easier, why not?

Of course, I'm not officially a commentator yet, so... meep.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

2963394 When the time comes, sure. Just be sure to ask for permission if its in another folder. Also ask if it is a new addition to the folder.

Fair point. I will need to be paying attention to my own folder as well (especially since I'm (presumably) going to be the only one in the Crossovers folder).

Honestly, this will probably only come up a few times. I'll know the story beforehand and get a notification that it was added to this group, so they'll pretty much all be new stories.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

You won't be alone in the Crossover folder. I know of one other person who is going to be sharing the folder with you.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, boss!

Hello fellow Crossover person *waves*

*waves*
:yay: Hiiiii!

I have a story where the primary folder I would put it in is currently labeled as "closed". However, one of the other big tags, one I want it to be but may need the review to help me get there, is labeled as "open". Can I just go ahead and place it in the open group or should I wait until the "closed" group is open again?

If it affects anything, the closed folder is "Human", while the open folder is "Sad".

Tidal
Group Admin

3050650 Put it in the sad folder!

However, one of the other big tags, one I want it to be but may need the review to help me get there, is labeled as "open"

If you want some advice in the sad department, and want me to review it as a sad story and help you, drop that bad boy in the sad folder. :twilightsmile:

Alright. Extending on this question: Can I get another review later when complete but put it in the "Human" folder or will it remain only in the "Sad" folder?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 74