The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,288 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
TOur Lives Among The Equine
We "animals" never get to speak in your language, Equines, but we do have some interesting tales to tell. Some perhaps disturbing. (And also, some Equines have disproportionate say in this, which I'm highly against)
Fabian Corcair · 9.1k words · 551 views

Our Lives Among The Equine by Brony Philosopher is an anthological work in which events in Equestria are seen from the point of view of different animals. The writer’s style often tends toward short single lines rather than paragraphs. Many of the short stories are driven by the characters’ thoughts and dialogue. However, that’s not to say the story is unable to have longer paragraphs to create more captivating moments.

The strength of the story is that each one of its chapters is a short snippet, and a reader could very easily take up a few chapters without feeling obligated to read the entirety of the piece within a certain time.

This can also be its weakness, as the chapters shift between many different characters. The reader’s time with them is fleeting, so one shouldn’t expect character development or story arcs to be the driving point of the story.

Each chapter is supposed to grab the reader in with a new snapshot of a different perspective. Does it accomplish this? To some extent. The quality of the chapters can vary, partially due to how the narrative structure changes with the qualities of the different characters. If the character is fast and energetic, so too will the narration be. It can also be a little difficult in a few instances to discern who the new character is, which can make for a good realization when all the pieces fit together.

In all, this is a story with a goal in mind and it works at it. The stylistic choices and variation are hit or miss, and whether it hits or not may entirely depend on the reader. Since there aren’t grammatical or structural errors in the writing itself, the weaknesses/strengths are entirely stylistic. That said, the inconsistency and variation, plus its inability to captivate a reader throughout all its chapters, means this story can only pass with a score of 3/5.

Whoa there, friend! Didn't expect to see this today, thanks for posting something and reminding me that our group isn't totally dead yet :twilightsmile:

Muggonny
Group Admin

It's not considered dead, until the coffin disintegrates with age.

Well, it just so happens that I got a request. As long as people want reviews, I'll have to find a place to put them.

Fun fact: The end of the collection will have actual plot lines with an actual character arcs with a decent prose... If that's not a finale, I don't know what is

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5