The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

This group will never die. It has only evolved. Unfortunately, that evolution has given us the speed of a slug swimming through honey.

But alas, even a stopped slug reviews twice a year, or something like that. Let’s take a look!

To whom it may concern, I’ve ditched my old format for this one, where just write my thoughts on the story. It’s gonna be a good bit shorter, but that’s precisely what motivated me to actually do this at all. Writing a huge, in-depth review that covered all aspects of the story was far too much work, and so I’m scaling back my efforts to make these more doable.

Okay then, on to the review. Game of Thrones, Alicorn Style invokes an expectation of grandeur, of mythical political drama with lots of blood and incest as actual Game of Thrones series supposedly offers (I have never seen it). However, it would be nigh impossible to contain something like that in a mere 1500 words, and that Random Comedy tag at the top of the page promises to quash any expectation of such.

Quashed is precisely what happens when you get into the meat of the story. What we have here is a silly comedy driven by Celestia and Luna’s love of musical chairs, which they play on their thrones.

And that’s pretty much it. Twilight’s ascension disrupts their ritual of playing musical chairs because there are only two thrones and now four princesses, a little bit of conversational humor happens as they confront the problem, and then Twilight solves the problem by recruiting the CMC’s to build a third throne so the game can continue with all four alicorns.

I don’t really have a lot to talk about on this one, considering that there isn’t much to the story. I will say that as far as comedy oneshots go, this wasn’t an especially outstanding experience. Many of the things that make comedy writing great are absent. There isn’t a lot of work by the narrative to mislead or subvert expectations. In fact, basically the only subversion in the story is the reveal that the ancient ritual was simply musical chairs. I suppose the final moment could also count as humorous, but there just wasn’t enough. I found much of the narrative writing blocky, seeming too focused on using uncommon, interesting words to really convey the story in a seamless way. Prose is at its best when it doesn’t stand out, when you can start reading and just fall in, not noticing what was written and instead experiencing the ideas the words contain. That flow was disrupted, and I was constantly aware that I was reading, not immersed in the story.

Perhaps I’m asking too much, though. This is a random comedy oneshot, not a sweeping epic. The scope of the story is small, focused on executing just one scene, and so I will be hedging my expectations a bit to account for that.

One other thing that stuck out to me like a sore thumb was Twilight’s characterization. The story over-emphasized her discomfort with being ascended, and I feel it did not get her right. Twilight would obviously be a bit nervous having been newly coronated, but at the same time, she’s known the other alicorns for years, so there would be a lot more familiarity present than was shown. Perhaps it was deliberate, exaggerating that personality trait for comedic effect, but alas, it did not make me laugh. Twilight felt out of place in a bad way, as I see it.

Overall, this story was alright. It delivered a little bit of amusement, but I don’t feel like it delivered as much as it was hoping to. As such, by my royal decree, I knight this story with a very average rank.

Arise, Sir Earl of...

Enjoyable

Thanks for submitting and waiting forever for me to get around to it, RK, and hopefully I’ll be back soon.

Get back to work, Muggonny.

Muggonny
Group Admin

Inb4 things get 2 gay

Muggonny
Group Admin

Get back to work, Muggonny.

You can't tell me what to do! You're not my dad! Only Rinnaul can tell me what to do, he's the only thing that comes closest to what I'd imagine a dad to be like! *runs away crying*

Legit thanks for the review. When it comes to this one... it was mostly an idea from a friend, nothing too serious about it. That I got 'enjoyable' out of it is surprising!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4