The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
FamousLastWords
Group Admin

(Note: Jack is a great friend of mine, but I ignored that for the sake of this review. Also, my reviews tend to be a bit short and to the point, so just throwing that out there.

Heyo!

Famous here with a review of a story... duh. It's been awhile, huh?

Today's story is certainly one that takes a stab at something original. What is it you may ask? Well, here it is:

Under the guiding hoof of their newly-crowned monarch, King Sombra, prosperity and love flourish in the lands of the Crystal Empire. With peace spanning half a century, most ponies have forgotten the true terror sleeping behind the forbidden boundaries of the northern wastelands.

However, rumblings of a powerful threat from the borderlands have alerted key ponies in the Empire. The tepid peace between the two nations begins to waver as the embittered changelings prepare for war.

With the kindling in place and the flint struck, the mettle of kings and countryponies are taken to their limits, testing just how far each one is willing to go for their homeland.

A few things about this story caught my eye. Number one, the description is a bit lengthy, but it seems original enough to hold some merit. Number two, it used the word tepid on the front page. That's some next level shiz.

Anyway, will this story hold its own? Will it be remotely entertaining? Read below to find out!

SUMMARY

Let's throw it out there: this is an alternate universe fic, as well as a slightly heavier themed one featuring a lot of OC's. That is not everyone's bag, and that's cool.

Without going into much spoilerific detail, it's basically a story that follows various characters throughout a tumultous time in the Equestria. Adventure, conversation and emotions run heavy between all the characters and settings, so it's definitely a story that has an audience.

PLOT
I think the main thing I appreciate about the plotline is how the author wasn't afraid to build his own setting as opposed to borrowing or rehashing one. It's definitely something unique.

You really get to get inside the heads of the characters and feel their struggles as they traverse a perilous universe. It's not always the most exciting or entertaining story, but it definitely feels real. It's a great story idea that executes well enough to please quite a few readers.

Mood: The story is a bit heavy, but that's what it's going for, so good job.

Description: I feel the story goes a little to far out of its way to describe things sometimes. For example, referring to a changeling as a small black figure just seems a bit repetitive. Also, the environmental descriptions seem to get a bit out of hand sometimes, but not terribly.

Flow: The story definitely takes its time, which I appreciate. There's a lot going on, but the author makes sure to have a steady pace going through it.

GRAMMAR

You get an A. I feel some things could've been worded better at time, maybe use more basic language, but there's no real issues to speak of. I can follow it just fine without my brain having a panic attack. You know, like that moment where you just have to stop reading because your brain decides to shut off mid-sentence:

TIPS

Hmm, not a whole lot needs to be said, but I would recommend you tone down the flowery words and over descriptive nonsense a bit. You know, make it a bit easier on everyone involved. You feel me?

REVIEW/FINAL THOUGHTS

This story was enjoyable, no doubt. It wasn't really my cup of tea, but I know for a fact a lot of people would have a great time reading this.

Check it out, asap! It's definitley worth a go.

Comment posted by Jack of a Few Trades deleted Sep 16th, 2015

4715999 Enjoyable, huh? According to my scale, that's like a 60-70% score. That's a D-grade story.

Did I really do that badly of a job with it, or is your scale a lot different than mine? Either way, thanks for doing the review, Famous! I'll hit up Heart Invasion 101 next on my list, unless someone grabs it first.

I approve of all the gifs included in this review. I liked the review pretty well. It is a pretty good story. It just happens to be my cup of tea since nearly everything is my cup of tea :twilightsheepish: Jack_mahoff made a good one, I feel.

4716116 Actually, no. As it's the lowest score the system allows, all failing grades are "Needs Work." The word "enjoyable" does not occur anywhere in the review if you don't have a passing grade.

Corrected.

FamousLastWords
Group Admin

4716116 enjoyable means enjoyable. I don't do grades like that

The enjoyable rating is passing, but it is not added to folders.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7