The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,288 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Well... It's been a while since I've reviewed something, so I'm here today to at least do something. And that something is to put out my thoughts on this story here.

Crystal Legacy

By:Cerulean Voice
Rated: Everyone. Romance, Dark, AU

~~+~~

There are some things I would like to touch on this story. Before I do, there is something that needs to be addressed. That is that this story is not necessarily a sequel, but a side story to Essenza di Amore, a story that has been also reviewed by us and was deemed recommended.

I would recommend reading Essenza before reading this side story. Not because you will be confused, but because there is insight that Essenza offers to this story that makes it more enticing to read. Now, I say enticing, but not thrilling because it is mostly.... I'm not going to say it and spoil the fun, just read both stories. I do find Essenza both Enticing and Thrilling, if that counts for anything.

With that said, I will carry on with my review.

~~+~~

"What if?" That is always a core thought that goes through the mind of most authors before and during their writing process. The question especially shows up in Fanfiction, taking subject from a show and making a new story based off a single thought.

For example, in this story, "What if Candace has lived longer that we were let on to believe, and that the nature of her being is beyond normal immortality? As such, what would the consequences be to her love life? How could she move on from lover to lover if she lived each century enduring pain beyond loss, but even gain?"

Questions similar to these, may not be exact, but similar were continued in this story, and I have to say that I loved every moment of it. The nature of Cadance's History giving the story its warranted "Dark" Tag, but also its "Romance" tag.

Those questions were not only asked but executed to the point that most any person would read through this story and enjoy the complexity of the situation while not stumbling due to the mastery of the author's narrative voice.

I can't say this story is perfect in keeping attention, I know that because I had to take a few tries to get through it. But once I got half way through, I started to feel more absorbed into the words written on the page. This was mostly due me having not read Essenza di Amore first, so at first I wasn't sure what was going on. However once Cerulean started getting to the meat of the story, not only did I find myself enamored to what was going on in the story. I found myself wanting to read Essenza afterwards.

The story itself was written well for any reader to get through without reading Essenza, this is due to Cerulean ability to show the important bits of history between characters and plot. However, if a random reader goes into this story, they may find themselves reading just an interesting story with little exposition due to having not read Essenza. That was the boat I found myself in. Those thoughts and feelings on a story like this are natural when cut off from the mother vein. I recognized that so I decided to take some time and read Essenza, then re-reading Crystal Legacy. From doing that I got a more solid and enjoyable experience, as well as complete.

~~+~~

Another thing I enjoyed was reading through Cerulean narrative. If there is one thing Cerulean has down it is his ability to bring the story through with a well paced and entertaining manner.

True, I found the first part of the story boring, but I got through that. I was given information during that stage that I wanted to get through that. His ability to paint picture vividly in a reader's imagination is quite outstanding. I strongly believe that this is a trait that I myself need to get better at, so Cerulean, I applaud you.

Despite me going to school and taking English as a major, judging grammar is not at all my strong suit. Given the fact that I can not recall a single error means that the story was either good enough to distract me from noticing minor, and that there were no major errors, or that there is not a single typo in the story. I'm not in the mood to go through the whole story hunting for grammatical "oopsees" so I'll just leave it at that. I found no errors.

~~

Alright, so now I'm ready to give my rating. I shared my thoughts on the story, as well as some recommendations before digging in to this little muffin of a story, it is now time for me to judge it.

Survey Says!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Recommended!

~~+~~

There you have it. The review to Crystal Legacy!

Now, if you want to hear another opinion on the story, read through the story comments at your own risk....

Or....

Pop by Bad_Seed_72's review of the story in her blog here

~Make Life an Adventure~
Mr. Flare

4571033 Yeah, seconding the recommendation. It's a good read.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2