kilala97 Fan Works 1,173 members · 177 stories
Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29

Hey, Ebony here, one of the top Prism x Dubz shippers out there if my avatar was any indication, writer of two notable clops starring kilala's characters. And I want to lay something on you guys.

As you are probably all aware, we have these two OCs:

Fletcher, the Norway-inspired Royal Guard trainee that is somehow good with a bow when he doesn't have a horn and hands to use one well.

Dove, the daughter of Trixie and non-canonically half-sister of Starfall, who is into wings and probably have a pegasus father.

Now, when these two came around...I shipped them. I shipped them hard.

Now, I know most of you guys would want to put Fletcher with Starburst (and I don't blame you) but for people like me who ships her with Starfall, I wanted to give Fletcher a bit of love, and since there was no way in hell I was going to give him Whirlwind, I figure he and Dove would work.

However, my fellow PrismDubz shipper LuminoZero argued that I was mainly shipping them on appearance and that they were a crack ship.

I'm sure there are merits to his opinion, but in their defense, I argued that before LuminoZero's fic, Storm Wardens, nopony probably thought of the ship Icy Storm and Pixel Bit. And I went on to explain that Fletcher and Dove ship would flourish given time.

All I am trying to say is...do you guys think this ship could sail?

And please, be courteous of other ships...and don't try to blow holes in them through naval warfare.

:eeyup: Mazeltov.

kilala
Group Admin

3828071 Hey, hey, hey!

Wasn't sure if I was gonna comment or not since I usually don't participate in these forum things for this group since my word "is law" apperently. But I just thought I'd come here to clarify stuffs.

I'll start off by saying that you can ship anyone you want, I don't really care haha. Nothing's canon so I can't tell you what to and what not to ship. However, I would say that crack ships still exist. FletcherxDove being one of them since I didn't ever plan to have them meet. Primarily because Dove stays in Las Pegasus most of the time and Fletcher resides in Canterlot. There's just no place where their paths could intersect story-wise. Sure they have mutual friends, and if they were to meet, it'd most likely be through those mutual friends. If there was such a scenario, where either of them are with the main characters to go meet the other, they'd probably focus on the main characters than ever truly interacting (Dove would be caught up in her rivalry with Annie or obsessing over the pegasi's wings and Fletcher would prolly be too busy being on guard protecting Starburst).

Now you're probably wondering what makes a ship a crack ship since nothing's really canon? Well, first of all, if it's like incest or pedophilia then yeah, it's crack. If there's no hints of interaction in bios or pictures that I've made, then it's probably a crack ship. These ships would probably be between characters (primarily side characters) like CrèmexParody, IcyxMint, LuckyxStarburst, etc. They could also be of characters that have met, but it just doesn't seem to fit like WhirlwindxDel, ValiantxCandy, StarburstxT, etc. And then, there's the ships that would interfere with the already canon ships like IllusionxJune, ClairexDel, AnniexPrism, TxCandy.

There are some exceptions to these just based on who the ponies are. I mean PrismxNidra would've probably been a crack ship if Prism and Nidra weren't so shippable. Same goes for Amber. They could honestly fit with any other pony just because they all can be extremely flirty. Fletcher and Dove are just not that shippable. Fletcher, like I mentioned before, does not understand mares and would probably not even think about going out with a random girl unless they were incredibly up front about it and initiated the relationship or if he spent A LOT of time with them. Dove on the other hand, isn't very flirty like Amber would be. She's just in her own little world most of the time.

Regarding the IcyxBit thing, I've got a little confession to maaaake. When making their bios, I was heavily, and I mean HEAVILY, implying that they were gonna have a thing. I pretty much created their bios around each other.

Pixel Bit and Icy Storm have an.... interesting relationship which makes sense since Pixel is an interesting filly. They are very good friends and she seems to be the only one who picks up on the fact that he is so heavily influenced by his peers. She is clearly the opposite because she couldn't care less about social norms. She always encourages him to be himself and tells him he'd be much happier if he did. What makes their relationship interesting/awkward is the fact that everypony think they'd be an adorable couple.

Icy Storm and Pixel are seen as an adorable couple by their peers even though they seemingly don't have any interest in each other in that way. They are good friends and are supportive of each other. Pixel tends to be the more supportive one because she hardly has any issues. These two are opposite when it comes to how they carry themselves. Icy cares about the image he puts out and Pixel could care less. She is always encouraging him to be himself and to not care too much about what others think of him.

I mean, sh*t if that wasn't obvious I dunno what is. When Lumino told me he was gonna write about them I was so freaking excited that he caught on lol. All part of my master plan mwahahaha

Of course now, I kinda went back to the ambiguity thing and threw Cloudy Skies into the mix and also made her bio around Icy's in that she's very low on confidence and he could help her out with that since he's full of it. Also trying to find a way to get Sugar in there as well.

Now that I told you this you can probably go back, read all the bios and discover who I originally intended to ship XP

So yeah..... crack ships. Now there's nothing wrong with crack ships and I rather enjoy hearing the ones people come up with and making my own. Like someone mentioned IllusionxCandy. I thought that was adorable. And of course I have my guilty pleasure ships which could arguably be "crack ships", that I secretly draw all the time (AnniexPrism, AmberxDel :heart:). Anyways, hopes this clears things up. I'm not sinking ships here at all. Just letting you know that there are crack ships and I don't mind them at all and letting you know that you can ship 'em all you want, but you prolly won't see them drawn much at all lol.

3828262 oh hi kilila *says in wiseua accent* i just wanted to tell you that me N7_spartan117 are forming power poniesverse version of the kilila universe called kilila-616 and we sre currently laying down the ground work in the first story called power ponies: the next generation and im telling you all this because i felt like telling someone this because im bored as hell

3828262 So indicating on the beggining I could even ship you and Lauren Faust...Which I now do due to it beeing so absurd!

3828071 considering they haven't met on any occasion whatsoever...

3828262 ...Ow.

But a crack ship is basically a ship that is too absurd to be possible. Blueblood and Granny Smith, that is absurd. What's so absurd about Fletcher and Dove?

And you said you weren't sinking ships yet you said they aren't shippable.

They're not a crack ship. And it's going to be a thing.

Besides, I cannot ship Fletcher with Starburst because there's this guy right here!

And to have someone like you, kilala, tell me that Fletcher and Dove cannot be...is just...is just...since I respect you enough, I won't finish it.

Thanks for the support, though...

3828283 Could you at least give some input into this conversation that is pertinent?

3828751 I mean regarding Fletcher and Dove, although I appreciate the support for Starfall and Starburst.

3828754 i could talk to N7_spartan117 about making dove and fletcher a ship in the kilila-616 universe since im not interested enough in fletcher to write sbout him myself i rather write about starfall and dove bonding as brother and sister kicking ass toghter

3828760 Well, thank you...and I don't mean that sarcastically like I did with kilala.

3828768 your welcome. Granted i find fletcher more interesting than T because at least he has some comedic interactions eith the characters from whst little i read about him and T in my honest opinion is glorified arm candy for Annie (who i freaking love because she's funny as hell with her sense of humor) with little to no personality seriously he's the most generic gentle giant character since ever sorry T but the iron giant and Groot beat you by a long shot

3828262 Wow, I think for the first time I find myself disagreeing with you...

Not on the subject of whether Fletcher or Dove's shipping is a crack ship or not. No, what I disagree with you is the existance of "crack ships" (which, on the side note, was the first time I heard of the term). They do not exist. Every ship is possible, it's just the matter of setting up the circumstances leading to it.

To prove my point: in my main story, I am shipping Twilight with Arthas, who used to be human, the Crown Prince of Lordaeron, a paladin:

Who later became corrupted by evil and turned into a death knight, killed his father, slaughtered his subject, raised them as undead and destroyed his kingdom (and several neighbor kindoms as well):

and ultimately became the Lich King, the lord of the undead Scourge and practicly the God of Death:

Until he was defeated and killed, then his freed soul got returned to life as an earth pony on Equestria!

Every ship is possible.

Just to prove my point, you can expect to read in Stars in the Making (or some form of its continuation) at some point that Dove and Fletcher are going out.:derpytongue2:

LuminoZero
Group Admin

I should have seen this coming. All right then, children, settle down. Papa's gonna learn you some.

Now, there seems to be some misconception that 'Crack Ship' = 'Bad Ship'. That, simply, is not true. There are fantastic stories on this site that use some of the most absurd pairings we could think of. Celestia and Big Mac, Vinyl Scratch and Spike, Carousel Boutique and Golden Oaks.

I'll admit that last one is a comedy, but my point stands. A story isn't measured by its shipping. The characters are so vague and open that many of them can be done in a believable way. However, that doesn't mean that Crack Shippings don't exist. Nobody would argue that the above three examples are Crack Ships, even though I know a very good story for each of them.

A Crack Ship is one that has almost no chance of occurring in any official capacity, and is highly counter intuitive to what people would think. Vinyl/Octavia used to be a crack ship, but enough people did it, so now it is mainstream. Fans can make something absurd the norm, but it takes some impressive work to do.

You can't simply say "I like this ship that makes no sense," and expect people to jump on it. Add to the fact that you are literally shipping them for "Pair the Spares". Not every character NEEDS to be shipped. For example, I don't ship Cotton Candy with anyone. Just because a character exists, doesn't mean they NEED to be shipped with someone. Api, Echo, Sugar? Nope. Cloudy I KINDA ship with Nighty, but that's minor at best.

Are you shipping them because you see their personalities, goals and characters aligning? Or are you shipping them because you feel the need to match up every pony like a game of 'Concentration'?

Boy did THAT do wonders for my self esteem! I am so glad I added that line about Stormy having dated almost every Filly in Ponyville, including both Cloudy AND Sugar, to Storm Wardens. XD That colt just radiates swag.

-Lumino

kilala
Group Admin

Going to urban dictionary for a definition here

A crackship is a ship of two people that probably don’t know each other, but people would think they look good together.

An unusual relationship of any kind of fandom (i.e. books, television shows, movies, ect.) that is unlikely to happen

And that's honestly what my definition of a crack ship is. It's not the absurdity of it, just the unlikeliness of it happening (in my canon) so to speak

3828814 very true personaly I think rainbow and swoop (foc version) might make a good pairing if one them turns into the matching species and I love the lunilla ship

3828839 Hm... okay, that makes sense then, I guess...

So... this means Twilight x Flash is a crack ship?:trixieshiftright:

LuminoZero
Group Admin
kilala
Group Admin

3828856 Meh, that depends on your standards I suppose. If we're sticking strictly to what the definition says, then yeah. That also means just about every ship in MLP is crack (with the exception of married couples) since the writers/Faust said they never wanted the show to be centered around romance or have that much romance in it period.

Buuuuuuuuut I'm going by what Lumino said up there ^^^ That being ships in MLP are either considered crack ships or not considered crack ships, based on how mainstream they are in the fandom

kilala
Group Admin

3828283 Nice! Go ahead and PM me

Look, I respect both your opinions...but what is ticking me off is that you keep calling the Fletcher Dove ship a crack ship.

I know that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but here's the deal:

No one likes crack!

How you think I feel, having my ship called a crack ship? It makes me feels bad for even thinking it could happen, especially coming from you two.

Just because Fletcher and Dove is unlikely to happen doesn't mean it should be considered a crack ship.

I mean, look at Prism and Dubz! When people break up, there are usually no chances in hell that they would ever get back together, and if we were to go by the definition of crack ship, they would be considered a crack ship...but they're not, because they can get back together and it can happen.

And to me, you can't have crack ships with OCs. Canon characters are mostly set in stone, OCs are not.

I'm sorry, I did not meant to make this a big deal, but I have to stand my ground somewhere.

LuminoZero
Group Admin

This isn't 'standing your ground'. Nobody called your ship bad ( I might have insinuated as much, but that's because you provided no reasons as to why or HOW it would work). You believe that Crack Ship is a determination of quality, but BOTH Kilala and myself have stated that isn't how we are using the term.

You are applying a different definition to a term we are using and then holding us up to your personal definition. That's pretty rude to us, and quite childish.

As for nobody liking crack...

Let the Silence Sing (Big Mac/ Celestia) 10K Views, 1,600 Likes.

The Non Clop folder of the Crack Ship group, sorted by Highest Rating.

-Lumino

kilala
Group Admin

3828906 I understand. I mean there are different ways to look at crack ships (apparently). There are people who think crack ships have to be absurd to be considered crack ships, such as yourself, and I have the viewpoint that they're not bad whatsoever and are simply called crack ships because of their likelihood to be "official". I mean think about it.

Yes, all ships are possible and you can make 'em work (especially since Fletcher and Dove are so underdeveloped in terms of their stories and bios but that could change at any given moment). But in my original plan, their stories were never going to line up, and Dove wasn't gonna be shipped with anyone. She was my attempt to step away from shipping for once. ALL my characters are shipped somehow and I wanted a break from that (backfired because I didn't take into account marexmare ships and everyone's hooked on StarxDove). Dove was made canon because I wanted her to be this fun, crazy character who was too stuck in her own extravagant little world to pay attention to men all that much and because I wanted her to be a rival for Annie and help Annie grow as a main character which is what a supporting character does. She's also my link to bringing Sugar Rush and Nighty into the story a little bit more. To me, she's just far to interesting of an individual to just be shipped with anyone.

But that's just my view on her. I don't doubt at all that you and Borsuq could make FletcherxDove work, it's just that I can't and prolly won't because I have other plans for the characters in order to develop them. I'm eager to see how you make them work and what you come up with!

As for the PrismxWhirlwind thing, they're not crack at all and wouldn't be a crack ship in the first place just because I've hinted at them still having feelings for each other SOOOOO much

3828926 ...I'm sorry. I did not mean to come off as such.

And I could try to explain as to how it would work, if you want...but let's say it could present interesting chemistry.

3828932 Sorry, I guess I was trying to make a point, and it backfired on me.

3828895 alright ill pm you a link to the story and the cast (the killa power persnoas)

(Dove would be caught up in her rivalry with Annie or obsessing over the pegasi's wings and Fletcher would prolly be too busy being on guard protecting Starburst).

That line makes me think of Dove rushing at Star to admire her wings, and Fletcher getting in the way and throwing her in jail because he thinks she was trying to attack Star. And Star having to order him to let Dove out while explaining that Dove doing that was normal for her, and she wasn't going to attack.

3828906 Like Lumino said, there's a market for crack shipping. Heck, I love it. Why stop writing something that's a crack ship when you could figure out a way to make the two come together?

I mean, yes kilala said it was unlikely, but that does not mean it is not 100% possible for you as a writer to write it! Write it.

3828768 ok i talked to him and your wish is granted but won't come into play into the third story where fletcher well be introduced

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29