The American Civil War 71 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

I remember reading several Civil War books revolving around underage boys enlisting to fight for the Union or the Confederacy. My search for my favorite one has so far given me no dice. I was hoping someone in this group might also be familiar with it. Here are some highlights:

-A young boy (maybe 15 years old) decides to fight for the Confederacy after his father, a very influential man in the region, is asked to raise some volunteers (probably a regiment, maybe more).

-I'm confident the boy, his father, and the volunteers are from Texas.

-The boy's best friend also enlists.

-At some point in the past, the boy's father survived an Indian attack, taking several arrows in the chest.

-While they march to the frontlines, the boy is offered a chance to be a message runner far away from the frontlines. The boy declines and is instead promoted to the rank of corporal.

-One of their first battles, once they get to the front, has them surprise attacking a Yankee camp. They are victorious and proceed to reap the spoils (the boy mentions something about trying to find a repeating rifle).

-Far later into the book in a different battle, the father is shot in the chest while on his horse. A doctor removes the bullets but the wound is fatal. Father and son share some last words before he passes away.

-Later in another battle, the depleted Confederate force faces off against fresh Union forces. The boy as the last NCO of the depleted force leads a bayonet charge but is shot in the arm/shoulder.

Let me know if any of this sounds familiar.

damn, sounds like a good read. hope someone here knows this one :/

Sorry, no dice for me. Is it fiction or nonfiction? You might have good luck on dedicated ACW forums.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3