The American Civil War 71 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19
CyberCommand
Group Contributor

5870169 people who fucked thier sisters
people who cant learn to laugh at a joke:pinkiesmile:

Well, One of the few historical tidbits I feel Harry Turtledove gets right is Woodrow Wilson - a statesman from Virginia who proved generally adept at negotiating both progressive and reactionary ideals.

Presuming that a nascent Confederacy could endure until the 1910's, of course. Its political opposition to strong industrialization, inept diplomacy, jingoistic and paranoid culture, and fanatical defense of a backwards labor system would put its long-term vitality very much in question.

Definitely Robert E Lee. I don't know who else, though...maybe Stonewall Jackson?

Ha. Ha. We're all very amused... :ajbemused:

Also, "their".

CyberCommand
Group Contributor

5870477 I just wonder if the confederacy actually won, how long would it have lasted until it was taken over again by the union?

Robert E Lee died five years after the war's end, wasn't in terribly great health for its duration, and never held an elected office. I do not think he would run, though the South would certainly wish he would.

I'm not a fan. I used to be an avid reader, but the more I read about history the less I get out of alternate histories, mired as I am in, "No, this would have happened instead!"

That, and all the damn sex scenes.

*shrugs*

Fitzhugh Lee would've become President as he was more politically active as opposed to Robert. After all, he did serve as Governor of Virginia in our timeline, so he could have been a foot in the door to the Gray House had the C.S.A. won the war.

I completely forgot about him.

Robert E Lee died five years after the war's end, wasn't in terribly great health for its duration, and never held an elected office

There is that.

And if the U.S. we're to invade the C.S.A., the French and British would come to its aid.

I earnestly find that unlikely. Historically, Britain could very reliably be counted on to do what was right for Britain and the almighty pound. Hostility with their most important trade partner, commitment to a large and expensive war, and the potential invasion of Canada do not fit this bill. The Confederates in turn offered them... cotton, which they could buy elsewhere.

The notion of Britain riding to the Confederacy's aid was always based more on wishful thinking than any realistic appraisal of the situation.

It'll be pretty hard for the U.S. to retake the Southern states as, had the Confederacy won

Again, I don't think so. The South would have a shite industrial base, incredibly wide borders to defend, an economy with all its eggs in one cotton basket, and a political elite dedicated to preserving slavery and the plantation culture at the expense of reform and industry. The already-tremendous Northern industrial edge would have grown even wider as time passed, and such things would only grow in importance as the realities of industrialized warfare loomed.

The South's best chance for long-term independence would lie in being the nicest, best damn neighbor the USA could ask for and never give an excuse for war. Given the jingoism of their culture, their multiple economic time bombs, their atrocious diplomacy (i.e., the self-imposed cotton embargo and the disastrous violation of neutral Kentucky), and the territorial claims both sides had on each other, I do not consider that a likely course of events.

Yes he is. "Guns of the South," is his masterpiece.

That would be awesome. i've been toying with the idea of writing a crossover fic with that universe.

Hypothetical question? Alright I will bite. The Confederacy would have collapsed mostly due to the fact that it lacked a strong centralized government. Most of the states that made up the Confederacy during the war mostly did as they liked even if the government in Richmond said otherwise. The Confederacy was a deck of cards waiting to go. It lasted only as long as its generals found success in the field. Once the North bore down on them opting for total war rather than tactical military victories on the battlefield it was over.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19