The Monthly Contest Club 335 members · 51 stories
Comments ( 79 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 79
SPark
Group Admin

So I'm trying something new here. I love the shortfic contests, and they suit the monthly format well, since a month is plenty of time to write, judge, and award prizes. But there are things you can do with a longer story that you can't do with a short one. And those longer stories need more time to develop. So even though August is still months away, I'm starting the August contest right now!

The theme is Begin Again. You can interpret that however you choose.

This is a longfic contest, so your stories should be at least 6k words long. For the sake of my sanity, since I have to read and judge them, the can be no more than 50k words long. (Give or take a few thousand. So yes, you can use your Pony NaNo stories here!)

Stories must be rated either E or T.

Stories must be new for this contest, you cannot simply submit a story you have already published.

The contest deadline is August 15, so you have two and a half months to write in.

To enter a story in the contest, simply submit it to the appropriate group folder.

You may enter as many stories as you wish.

The winning story will be featured in our winners folder, and the author will also get a fully color drawing of the subject of their choice, provided by me! Should the contest get ten or more entries, I'll also award second and third place, which will get sketches. (Examples of my artwork can be found over on Deviantart.)

Stories will be judged (by me, and possibly by whatever other judges may be recruited) based on 5 categories.

1. Technical writing skill. Spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.

2. Basic Storytelling. Are the characters interesting? Does the plot hold together? Is it enjoyable to read?

3. Use of the theme. Does it really use the theme? Does it do so in interesting ways?

4. Creativity and enjoyment. Is the story interesting, unique, or fun?

5. Bonus points. A catch all for any good things the story did that don't fit the other categories.

All further updates, including the judging scores and results, will be posted in this thread, so do keep an eye on it. Questions totally welcome.

Thanks! This sounds really fun and I would love to participate. Seeing as I have nothing else to do with my time. I also really like the idea of the theme, its sounds interesting. It would give me writing skills a workout and I'd love to see how I do. :twilightsmile:

Oooooooh, the story I was planning on writing for a personal June NaNoWriMo could fit well with this! :pinkiehappy: I am SO entering!

"Begin Again" has to be one of the most ambiguous prompts I've seen... but between that and the "longfic" part of the contest, I actually have an idea that may fit. Assuming, of course, I actually got it done in time...

Life has been stressful but perhaps I can work on something.

I'll think about it.

5969281 If we're technical with longer fiction here, the minimum word count should probably be 7,500 words, since that's the minimum for a novelette. Then 15,000 words minimum for a novella, I think. It's basically a contest for novelettes, novellas, and short novels. :unsuresweetie:

Well I do have an idea that fits the prompt. I've been meaning to write it out for a bit, but I've been too lazy busy. I'll give it a go!

5969281 As with all the contests on this site, I'm promoting yours on my user page in an attempt to get you more contenders. Good luck!

Max of 50k?
I honestly want to try for that amount just to break your spirit, filling a story with mindless dribble that will tear out your soul.

5969281 Are there any rules on chapters? Are chapters allowed and if so does the story have to be 6000 words with all of them combined?

SPark
Group Admin

5974756 You can do chapters any way you like, so long as your total combined word count is over 6000 and no more than 50,000.

I think I might actually have a good story for this. While I did start writing it before the contest, I never finished it and I never published it. However, it doesn't kind of fit the theme (and I can already think of a few ways to implement the prompt even further) and it is already over 8,000 words (as opposed to the new story I was working on).

So would that be okay or does the fact that i started working on this one story a while ago cause an issue?

EDIT: Also is it cheating if we have someone from one of the other groups proofread or edit the story? I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules.

SPark
Group Admin

No, that's just fine! It's only against the rules if it's been published on the site, you can totally incorporate stuff you've worked on previously but not published.

Thank you. :twilightsmile:

Now I'm not sure if you saw the second question I edited into my original post. Is it okay if I have someone edit/proofread my story or would that be cheating?

SPark
Group Admin

No, editing is not cheating. Feel free!

But maybe better for this challenge.
Writing is a go.

Just a question. What if the fic we wanted to submit for this contest was a collab between two authors? Would it even be allowed, and if so, would it be uploaded to one of the authors’ accounts, or should there be a single “user” to represent both authors? :unsuresweetie:

SPark
Group Admin

A collab would be allowed, sure. How to upload it is up to you.

Count me in. :twilightsmile: It'll be nice to take a break from writing exclusively clop.

I am very excited for this contest, my story is already at 12,000+ words. :twilightsmile:

I still have a ways to go however.

Am I allowed to publish the incomplete story and finish it before August, or do I have to post the complete thing?

SPark
Group Admin

You can publish it at any point, in any state, so long as no part of it was published before the start of the contest and so long as it's finished by the end. Hope that's a clear enough answer! :twilightsmile:

Thank you~ You cleared things up. I can't wait to publish it. Restarted it once already.

I already have my story idea, and I'm already 1k words in with it. Hope you don't mind a comedy with subtle Fluttercord hints :yay:

SPark
Group Admin

(I think I got everybody!) This is just a reminder that we're around halfway through the contest. There's just over one month left to write in.

Out of curiosity -- does the story need to be Complete to be accepted?

And thank you for the reminder. ^^

SPark
Group Admin

Technically it does not, but it will probably make it nearly impossible to win.

Thank you for the reminder. I am about 14,000+ words right now and I am slowly reaching the end of the story.

Well, shoot... I might be able to make a new story in that time. :P

Though getting it to... um... how many words is the base?

Edit: I am silly. It states the "word limits" at the top. I'll just come up with a new story. Writing around 6000 words in the next few days shouldn't be too hard. But at the moment I need to plan something.

Ain't happening. Barely even got started on it. Admittedly, it was a bit of a long shot, I had an odd definition of "begin again" but the work just isn't getting done.

...Although does the fic have to be complete to be entered?
6020686 EDIT: ...Yeah, ain't happening, this is a story that, if complete, would certainly exceed the 50K word limit.

Thanks for the reminder! Work Goes well on mine, getting close to 20k words, hopefully can wrap it up before the due date.

Huh, what? Oh yeah, contest. I can't remember these things in this state. Thanks for the reminder. Time to go get some writing done.

Halfway!? Ugh. I'm having to rewrite 30K+ words, changing the story from first person to third person. Why did I make the mistake of attempting something I'm not good at while also on a time crunch!? :raritydespair:

Somepony else post a story for this contest!! I want to read the other entries :derpytongue2:

If no other stories enter, then the only fic entered would hypothetically win first place by default, right? Same would go for second and third place if there are no other entries?

SPark
Group Admin

Yep. I'd still read it and give "scores" though, I know some people like getting the review.

'Aight, thanks. I think it's because I'm an idiot, but am I allowed to submit unfinished works? I'm just unsure if I will complete it before the deadline, and something partly done is better than nothing at all (a sentiment I realise doesn't apply to everything but still...) I won't submit it now if the answer is 'yes', as I want to try my best finish my work.

SPark
Group Admin

Yep, unfinished works are allowed. Obviously they're a little handicapped as far as winning goes, but they're totally okay by me.

As my focus has been on a... lovely writing request. I haven't gotten around to the contest entry I'll hopefully get around to doing. But I think I have what I could do... barely.

My story is coming along slowly, however I do hope to have it finished by the end of the week, fingers crossed.

Please everyone submit, winning by default leaves a sour taste in my mouth, I don't wanna win that way. I'd rather take last place having tried my best than take first place with no competition

Not sure if Mine will be fine in time, though I think I will still enter what I have by then. (Should be the entire first arc of the story, which could be a novella on its own, plans have just changed and I've decided to make it longer in general.)

Well, my plans to write a novella for this contest have basically imploded.

I might be able to get a good novelette done, tho. :twilightblush:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 79