Bronies For Christ 249 members · 118 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

I've been writing a story recently called, "A Professor and his students" pretty quickly, as the inspiration hit me.

I... don't know what to feel about this story. I got inspiration for this after reading Rated Ponystar's Negotiationsverse and zelkova48's Choice. Honestly, I worry that I might supporting a series that has a lot of sexual stuff in it (even though that promotion is not my intention), and I don't know how the guys who approve the stories will take some of the religious and political references. But I wanted to introduce some positivity into the series, as well as try to tug away from some of the stuff I didn't necessarily approve of.

I also worry about my intentions for even writing this. Some part of me is hoping to leave some mark on the Negotiationsverse, as I've just said. But I know that people are going to read this. I know some of them will probably like it, even if it is a bit back and forth with all the flashbacks. I know that likely, I'll be gaining pride from writing this, and trying to add to someone else's storyline, even if he's given his permission to other people, like the aforementioned zelkova48. Indeed, I wonder whether its pride (I've worked so hard on this story) or good reasons (I want to help gently lead others to faith in my writing and away from the more negative side of the series this story is a part of) or a mixture of both that wants me to click the "Submit" tab right now.

I tug back and forth over whether or not to release it. For one thing, I've put a lot of passion and work into it, and I've felt inspired as an author as I haven't felt since I wrote "Defeated." But as much as I don't like the sexual stuff in some of the Negotiations Stories (namely Future and Warfare) and tried to skip over it when I've read those, I worry that people will read those if I post this. I've also planned to write a story where a suicidal pegasus from this Negotiations universe literally meets God, a story currently called "Purpose," but again, I don't know whether to even start writing, given I don't want to portray God falsely, I don't know if I'd be drawing people to things I believe are bad, or drawing them away from those things to that I believe is good without throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

Naturally, that leads to hypocrisy as an issue. I've done a blog recently where I said that two stories, Rekindled Embers and Unshaken, went too far against wat I believe; Rekindled Embers, because it attacks traditional beliefs on marriage (and, whether intentionally or not, the Church) as well as being much too loose sexually, and Unshaken due to it being a Wild West CYOA where sexual things were mentioned. Granted, not everything in those stories was sex-related, and I tried, when I had been reading them, to skip over those parts as fast as possible because my interest in them wasn't sex-based. But I felt that something was wrong with me reading them. Negotiations doesn't feature many sexual or sensual scenes, given its a storyline dealing with the fallout of a pony defeat in the Conversion War, but those it does feature are enough to make me nervous, even though again, I don't read for the sex, and since only two stories in the series deal directly with what I oppose, I can avoid reading them. Like with Harry Turtledove's books, I really wish they'd leave sexual stuff out and just have the alternate history left to read. I feel sometimes like taking a pen to the Turtledove books I have and marking out every offensive line with a pen. I indeed started to do that with a couple of them. The main point of this particular wall of text, TLDR, is a fear of being a hypocrite; I may not have any sexual stuff in my story (sexual and sensual things are mentioned for a moment in one paragraph in disapproval of those things), but again, my story is based on a universe where some of the stories mention those things, and occasionally go beyond mentioning them.

In addition, I don't know how to treat my relationship with the main characters, including the Princesses. I do not believe Celestia or Luna would try to convert or destroy the human race in a real setting, even if they were put off or cautious due to human history. Neither of them die (directly) in my story, but this story contributes to a series of stories where they do those things, and where they are killed.

I still plan on releasing it, as of right now. Some people will be drawn to something even if I don't intend for it, and I can't stop them, and it's questionable at best whether any human has the right to stop others from reading what they want (besides their own children, and then only until they're old enough to live on their own). I'm only human. And One mightier than I can bring good out of my failures, though I worry about blasphemy in thinking that, not because I think I'm wrong about it (I don't), but because I may misuse that thinking.

But... what do you guys advise?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1