MLP: Hard Analysis & Criticism 257 members · 72 stories
Comments ( 50 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 50

Why does everyone like it? Why doesn't anyone realize that the ponies intended to represent us in this episode (and they do, let's not kid ourselves) do not represent us entirely? Why does it only show our bad sides and not treat us fairly? Is that how the writers really see us? Do we really act like that to them? Did they want to humiliate us? Did they want us to be ashamed of ourselves even though we have good moments they didn't bother to represent?

Why does no one else see all of that? Why does everyone in this fandom love this episode but me?! Why am I literally the only person who feels this way?!

I'm sorry to sound so crazy and angry, but even after two days, I still can't get over this. Why? What am I doing wrong? Why am I the only one? Doesn't anyone else feel hurt by this?

6065157 Lore-Lei said it best, better get into the JoJo or Dark Souls fandoms instead.

justanothername
Group Admin

I remember after Season 3 Mr. Enter was one of the people who called us a bunch of whiners who hated change. It's possible that he thinks MLP has gone down the tubes but is afraid of people turning on him.

Truth be told, MLP has gone down hill since SEASON 2 & this confirms it. At this point, you probably shouldn't bother going to see the movie this FALL.

I loved season five. I thought it was the best season. The writers respected us and admired us then.

I don't watch much of the show anymore because of some episodes I try to avoid, and because of how many bronies treat the characters so inhumanely just for their own selfish pleasuring fantasies in disgusting ways. The Fall of Equestria story(About caribou invading and enslaving mares as sex slaves) is one of the worst fan spawned universes out there. Sometimes I felt those are spawned from many things combined in both the show's writers and the fandom together.

D48

Doesn't anyone else feel hurt by this?

Nah, I accepted that the writers are idiots years ago, so this kind of thing doesn't bother me because I just don't care any more.

Humanity
Group Admin

You make it sound like all Bronies are deviants when you put it like that. It's that extreme mindset that got someone kicked out of this group a few weeks back. You make it sound like the entire fandom is a cancer that only seems to ruin the show for the younger audience and that it is impossible for there to be Bronies who greatly respect and treat the source material with dignity.

That is not true. Stop it. We've had to deal with kind of crap in this group for too long already and we would appreciate it if we did not have to deal with it again.

Humanity
Group Admin

All fandoms have sick freaks like that. That's a fact. The Sonic fandom has them. The Final Fantasy fandom has them. The Avatar fandom has them. Pretending that Bronies are the only ones is foolhardy.

Evidently, the writers didn't. :ajsleepy:

I am torn on this episode. On one hand, I think it could be a could be a good episode, as it has the potential for an interesting message, which doesn't seem to get resolved, and continues to build on stuff shown earlier in the season. But on the other hand, I think it shows exactly why the show is deteriorating as it gives credit to someone who didn't write it (he wrote the premise and someone else edited, from I can find), the character treatment is poor and there is bits in the story that don't make sense (like the treatment of the Friendship Journal). Plus, if what I've heard that this is a middle finger to the fans, it makes wonder how long this show can continue. In the long run, this kind of episode is exactly what I've come to expect from season seven and why I say the current season is hit or miss, with more hit than miss and only two episodes actually being any good (one of them is The Perfect Pear and the other I shan't mention by title, as I seem to be the only on that likes it (it isn't Fame and Misfortune), but I'll say that it should have come a couple seasons earlier).

The G1 movie could have been could good, had they focused on a proper story rather than leaving it with a feeling of, "Ummm, I'm out of ideas. What shall we do? Boom! Seaponies with annoying chorus lines!" There is a couple more issues, but to remember them I'd have to go get my DvD copy and re-watch it (I actually liked G1, which is one of the main reasons I started watching G4).

No need, I'll wait until FimFiction related stories come out.

They only represent one side of us in this episode. They don't even attempt to show our good side, so they either don't think we have one or don't care. That tells me they don't respect us anymore.

I actually like Mr Enter :moustache:

I agree his FiM reviews are among his weakest, which is perhaps why he stopped doing them. He seems up to date with current episodes (he's used clips of them in a few current reviews.)

Where he's best is reviewing shows no one's ever heard of, like Little Clowns of Happy Town. When he reviews things more in the main stream is where his flaws become most apparent, especially with becoming repetitive, or too loud.

Believe me, I understand. The show and the fandom just seem to be getting worse over time, and no one seems to see it.

I didn't know Sailor Moon fans were like that, though. Are they really that bad?

You go me their no doubt, If I'm right by chance, the show will probably get the AX after this season as a result of this episode.

Yeah it was garbage.

...I don't think ill get why that person puts so much into... whatever it is they are doing. they must be very very bored, or need validation for something and bad- then again, not my place to wonder.

for a more topic-related comment, i didn't like the episode, but the whole thing was also gone for me in a shoulder shrug. I've been skating for sometime now on a solid "meh" for the most part barring a hard snag or two. it barely had anything it could turn over. waiting for whatever's next, at least for now.

6068121 He invited me to a group called "Make FIMFiction.net great again.", I just ignored him and didn't joined shit. I still stand that this episode is ass and that it told us to go fuck ourselves. Which makes me so glad that I ignored post-season 3 canon for my fanfics.

Humanity
Group Admin

He'll get himself banned eventually. It's only a matter of time.

6068156 It's not even really about that. From what I saw before he set the group to private, he just made that group to serve as a mouthpiece where he can complain freely with his anti-Brony propaganda since he can't get his way anywhere else.

I don't know, I haven't watched it because just the basics of what it's about turn me off:pinkiesick:

I do get some people's point about it perhaps calling out only the unpleasant argumentative part of the fandom, but I'm not sure this was the best way or even whether doing so was a good idea:unsuresweetie:

To be honest,

Some of it was fair enough, to me. But other stuff was a bit uncalled for.

Danny and Molly where in the film? Now I really have to go back and re-watch it, as I only remember Megan being in it.

A lot of what this person is pointing out in the review is a number of things I have been saying. The writers for the first couple seasons (like M.A. Larson, Amy Keating Rogers, Lauren Faust and Meghan McCarthy) have pretty much left the show and it has been turned over to writers who seem to be turning MLP: FiM into just another North American anime. Some of them have a couple good episodes, like Josh Haber and GM Barrow, but there isn't enough to re-ignite the spark that made the show memorable. Then there is the directors (Jayson Thiessen and James Wootton) who have either left to work on the movie or left all together (I cannot find out which, as I am getting conflicting information on the internet) leaving the show with directors who might be contributing factors of the problem MLP: FiM seems to have fallen into - sloppy writing, bad character treatment, piss-poor character growth and progression and questionable story lines that are often a repeat of something before (or in the case of two episodes, a repeat of a comic). Maybe it is time for the show to hang up its horseshoes? Or, maybe somebody needs to put a boot up Hasbro and DHX's ass and make them face the music that if they don't do something soon, this cartoon could fail, starting by alienating the entire fanbase (both the target demographic audience and the adult community)? The last question isn't likely to happen and so I'll give season 8 a chance. If it fails, I wash my hands of this and walk away, with the only hope of watching anything else is with a return of some of the people who made the show great (insert laughter).

Never saw Yu-Gi-Oh! the movie, though I did see an episode of the anime here and there and have at least one Yu-Gi-Oh! card (the Cheerful Coffin). No matter which direction MLP goes, I'll always be a fan of G1 and the first five seasons of G4. I might stick around and check the two or three MLP sites I frequent, but I foresee my time lessening if the quality of the show continues to circle the drain. This site I know I'll still frequent as long as I have stuff to post and stories to finish (I have two so far, plus there is whatever I feel like adding to one-shots).

I really haven't watched anything of The Simpsons since about season twenty six. And that was only after coming back and missing mostly everything from one of the earlier seasons to about season twenty, seeing the twentieth season, missing seasons twenty one and twenty two, then watching most of the episodes from twenty three to twenty six, when the show seemed to return to its roots. The movie was good, but by the time the movie came out and show started to feel like it was getting back to what made it enjoyable, it felt like it was too late. What really killed it for me was when I found out Fox, not the creators, announced that there would be no more DvD releases, leaving the fans with the first seventeen seasons released, plus season twenty. To complicate the issue, I just watched the Family Guy/Simpsons cross-over and thought it was really pathetic, could have been done better and felt like the creators of The Simpsons had little to nothing to do with the episode.

I actually like Sing. I did not make the reference to any song called Anaconda and thought the rabbits where sing Baby Got Back by Sir-Mix-Alot (or a remix of it). I think I probably enjoyed it because it sort of reminded me of a number of things I grew up on, like Rocky and Bullwinkle and The Muppet Show. Both where aimed at children, but had just the right amount of adult humour in them that grown-ups could get a kick out of watching the programmes (This is probably a generation gap thing, as the things that were considered appropriate in cartoons I grew up on are now considered unsuitable for children). I also like a number of the songs, though not enough to make go listen to a some of the originals. And yet, I can also see why some people might say it is bad. Yeah, the story if probably cliche and unoriginal, which could point to the fact that Hollywood is running on empty. And some people might not get the humour. There is some humour I don't understand why it to be hilarious, such as body humour and poop/fart jokes. I don't find them to be funny and question the logic of an adult laughing at something that might have been funny when I was five or younger, if at all.

This site, Equestria Daily and the wikia are the only MLP sites I frequent, though not the wikia so much and Equestria Daily only because I am looking for certain titbits of information.

Don't think I have seen the 500th episode. And when I looked it up on wikipedia, it doesn't look familiar. And yeah. Pretty stupid, as the people who have been collecting the seasons are stuck with seasons 1-17 and 20.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fox-end-simpsons-seasonal-dvd-787648
https://www.polygon.com/2015/4/10/8382545/the-simpsons-dvd-releases-ending-blu-ray-fox
http://www.avclub.com/article/simpsons-will-no-longer-be-released-dvd-217796

Never heard the song Anaconda. Don't even know who sings it. Probably don't want to hear it or know who sang it.

Never heard of Derpibooru. Equestria Daily is usually where I first hear of early airings of MLP episodes, information on plush releases (I have all the Build-a-Bear plush, all the ten to twelve inch Funrise plush, plus a couple others, including a Cheese Sandwich that Weird Al autographed), among a couple other things, like music and art.

As someone collecting The Simpson's DvDs I am rather meh on the whole thing. I only collected season 1 through 15 and season 20 before losing interest. But I can understand that for the die-hard fans, this news is the equivalent of a slap in the face. I also understand that companies like Fox want to present the image that they want to decrease carbon footprint and all, but if the DvDs where actually made decently, plus a number of people where educated on proper treatment of the product, companies, like Fox, wouldn't have the problem of people throwing out DvDs. As for viewing, I'd rather watch the programme on a DvD, or VHS if I can find one, via a television in the comfort of my own home. Not some digital thing on a phone or some other device in the middle of work or park or wherever people are encouraged to be glued to the television 24-7. I only have digital versions of movies that are really hard to find and select episodes of television programmes that I find more memorable on my iPad. And even those I watch at home.

The only thing I have heard about The Simpsons run time is that it is the longest running American TV programme, passing either Bonanza or Gunsmoke, one of the two. World wide, it would not surprise me if there is longer, like Doctor Who, which had twenty some seasons before it's end, plus eleven seasons, currently, when it was picked up again around 2005 or so. Never heard of Kamen Rider, but Super Sentai I am familiar with, as I watched the first three seasons and two of the movies (the most recent and the one with Ivan Ooze) of the American version - Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Also never heard of Coronation Street. I'll have to take a look and see what those two are about.

Heard of Nicki Minaj. And I don't remember the exact content of the comments, but what I can recall are that a lot of them were negative.

Figured it was a MLP website, as one Ditzy's names is in the title.

The Simpsons packaging is questionable for some of the DvD release. The collector's cases that are in the shape of Homer, Marge, Lisa, Bart and Maggie was kind of cheap and could easily break (I think those where for seasons six through 10). After those, the show was released in these fold-out type cases that made it kind of difficult to get the disks out. I took all my seasons of The Simpsons, and Futurama, and pulled them out of the cases and put them into a protective CD/DvD binder, which I hope reduces the risk of scratches.

Interesting. I've been meaning to look to see if I could find episodes of Super Sentai to preview, but all I have managed to find were DvD releases on amazon. Never heard of henshin. I'll have to look that up.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 50