DashBell: Y'all Cowards Don't Even Ship 55 members · 6 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

So this is something that I was thinking to myself a lot. We all know Rainbow Dash really likes books. If it hadn't been for the episode Read It and Weep, Rainbow Dash might not have ever found out her love for reading, and that was because she assumed that reading was an 'egghead' thing.

That got me thinking. Rainbow Dash and Dumbbell aren't terribly different, when you think about it. They both care a lot about their image, and will act aggressively when that image is challenged. So is there a possibility that Dumbbell is into books as well, but he refuses to admit it to anyone because of ruining his image?

Of course, this was explore rather thoroughly in Pigeonsmall's When Two Hearts Are Daring, but let's take this a step further. What if he's actually interested in a lot of other 'egghead' things. What if he's secretly repressing an entire nerdy side to him—a side that Rainbow Dash might find out about by chance?

I really will have to get round to writing a story that goes to great lengths to develop Dumbbell as a character.

Pigeonsmall
Group Admin

Hah this is interesting. The thing with Rainbow Dash is, she has a good circle of friends who support her reading activity.

And according to this book here: http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Pony-Rainbow-Chapter/dp/0316247987, Rainbow Dash pretty much "comes out of the closet" with her adoration for the Daring Do books. So much so that other ponies are influenced by her coolness and a Daring Do book club is formed. Of course you can argue against the canonicity of these stories written by G.M. Berrow. I like to take little bits that I find interesting. From this book I now have the headcanon that Rainbow Dash can't stand hot peppers.

My idea on how Dumbbell got into books is completely headcanon of course. He enjoyed reading because his father told him stories when he was young. Mostly adventure stories. When that ended, books were the next best thing, and from there he realized he was interested in other things as well. But when he took up the roll of schoolyard bully he had to be really discreet about it. And practically give it up for a time.

3477335 When you put it like that, is this a reason behind his bullying?
What if he secretly ha a crush on Fluttershy?
When Rainbow Dash entered the picture, she got in his bad team, as it were.

Now you just need to link him to a topic and find a book that goes along with his picture.
Making any sense here? On the note, who is his Twilight?

You say that it is the male bravado that is forcing him to be aggressive in hiding his inner EggHead?

3484216 Even without the initiator, Twilight. Yeah. There seems to be more literacy in the group than meets the eye here.

Well, Dash had a FanGroup in an episode. If she love certain books, it is highly likely others who admire her is at least trying to follow her.
A Book club is just the logical next step, canonically or no.

Sounds like a logical conclusion and a common development. Your father or mother do something, then you follow the tradition in the next best way.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3