Political Ponies 182 members · 52 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

When it's casually mentioned that Equestria has a death penalty, sometimes as a joke. The death penalty is a mark of an uncivilized society and Equestria is clearly civilized if not Utopian. It's quite uncivilized in my opinion to kill someone who can not defend themselves.

It's quite uncivilized in my opinion to kill someone who can not defend themselves.

Then maybe the person being executed should have considered that before brutally murdering another person...

God gives life-only God can take it.

God gives life

There is no evidence of God giving life whereas there is more evidence suggesting that life creates more life through reproduction and that life came into existence through chemical evolution.

only God [should be able to] take it.

That’s a question of ethics, the problem thereof being that different people have different ethical frameworks. Someone could argue that God’s power is illegitimate because e was not democratically elected and hence is a dictator that should be overthrown just as any other, even if e is benevolent.

Of course, I wouldn’t actually argue this; I’d argue something far more heterodox: Morality and hence ethics are just a mask for one’s true desires; “X is good” really means “I want X; “Y is bad” really means “I don’t want Y”. Statements of good and bad are really statements of what you think should be -- what you want. Morality exists as a rhetorical weapon; it is posturing used to hide, sometimes subconsciously and sometimes from the self, that the person using it is just asking for or demanding something (and people only ask for or demand something because they want it).

Even when it comes to Divine Command Theory, adherents of such are still ultimately concerned with their own desires. People adhere to these ethical systems because they want to. People who say that X is good or bad because God says it’s good or bad are implicitly stating that they want to do what God wants.

Of course there are situations in which two desires come into contradiction with each other e.g. the impulse to steal paired with the long-term desire to not steal. This dilemma can be resolved by the proposition that ethical codes are not reflective of urges but of long-term desires. A person who has the long-term desire to not thieve will, in most cases, still feel guilty after stealing.

I do not need a mask for my desires because they are fundamentally very similar to the fundamental desires of others and I am convinced that, if we work together, we can attain them: Food, housing, clean drinking water, good health, social connection, autonomy, to be understood and loved by others, to have an impact on the world, to have better living conditions, et cetera.

The bourgeoisie, on the other hand...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4