Political Ponies 182 members · 51 stories
Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29

I present to you now a thread in two parts. One was written by Daniel Angster at Media Matters. The other was written by me and teaches A MOST IMPORTANT LESSON.

Texas radio host Michael Berry has a long history of making sexist, homophobic, anti-Muslim, and anti-African-American comments on his radio show. He also has posted several racially-tinged videos to his show's YouTube channel that criticize African-Americans, and posted racially insensitive comments on social media like Facebook.

Berry Called Teens Detained By Police In McKinney, Texas "Jungle Animals." On his June 8 radio show, Berry called the teenagers who were detained by police trying to break up a pool party in McKinney, Texas "jungle animals" and mocked how they spoke. [The Michael Berry Show, 6/8/15, via Media Matters]

Berry: "The Dirty Little Secret Is, Black People Don't Believe Black Lives Matter." On his March 12 show, while discussing a video that showed an African-American girl being attacked and beaten in a McDonald's restaurant, Berry declared that "black people don't believe that black lives matter:"

You know why white lives matter? Because that's what white people believe. The dirty little secret is, black people don't believe that black lives matter.

[...]

Chris Rock has made very clear there are different types of black people. And the general manager at your company who's black and a super-nice guy doesn't want to live amongst that, either.

But we can't deny the influence that this subculture is having on our society. You can go and hide behind your gates. Y'all can hire a guard at night. But eventually, a Trayvon Martin's going to come walking through your yard, at night, on suspension from school. Because his dad has a good job and he lives there. And he lives in a world of thuggery, and his dad doesn't. That's actually -- that was the case there. But he was a thug, who went to school with other thugs.

[The Michael Berry Show, 3/12/15, via Media Matters]

Berry: "What If The Election Of Barack Obama Prompted The Poorest, Most Violent Segment Of Blacks In America" To Violently Challenge Police? On the June 1 broadcast of his show, Berry discussed the protests in Baltimore following the death of Freddie Gray in police custody and hypothesized that the election of Barack Obama might have "prompted the poorest, most violent segment" of black Americans to challenge police authority. [The Michael Berry Show, 6/01/15]

Berry: Black UCLA Students Are "Pack Animals" Who Need To "Get The F Over Themselves." On his February 27, 2014 show, Berry mentioned that African-American students at UCLA had called on the school to improve diversity on campus, and then proceeded to call them "pack animals" who should "get the F over themselves." [The Michael Berry Show, 2/27/14]

Berry Has Often Brought Blackface Comedian "Shirley Q. Liquor" On His Show. Chuck Knupp, a white comedian who appears in blackface under the stage name, "Shirley Q. Liquour," has frequently appeared on The Michael Berry Show and told jokes based on racial and religious stereotypes. Berry also appeared with Knupp in blackface on a promotional billboard for the radio station in Orange, Texas. [The Austin Chronicle, 12/6/13; The Michael Berry Show, 9/14/12; The Michael Berry Show, 11/26/12; The Michael Berry Show, 9/24/12]

Berry Was Criticized For Posting Racially-Charged Tweets During A Speech By Michelle Obama. During First Lady Michelle Obama's speech at the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, violence broke out in a separate part of the city. Berry reacted by tweeting about how black-on-black violence had happened "while Michelle was speaking" and using the phrase "#knuckadeads" - a hashtag many people interpreted as a racial slur and criticized him for using. [KRIV, 9/5/12]

Berry Mocked The Mayor Of Houston's Sexuality. On his May 28 show, Berry played a scripted parody segment about the flooding situation in Houston that mocked Mayor Annise Parker's (D) sexual orientation and disparagingly nicknamed her partner, "Hot Pocket." [The Michael Berry Show, 5/28/15]

While Defending L.A. Lakers Owner Donald Sterling, Berry Referred To His Girlfriend As, "That Whore He Bought." On his June 6 show, Berry defended Donald Sterling's controversial comments about black people and referred to Sterling's girlfriend as "that whore he bought." He added that Sterling "didn't have anything against black people," he just didn't want his girlfriend "whoring around with the black guys she kept coming up there with." [The Michael Berry Show, 6/5/15]

Berry On Proposed New Mosque In New York: "I Hope Somebody Blows it Up." According to Think Progress, during a discussion concerning a proposed plan to build a mosque near Ground Zero in New York, Berry said, "I hope somebody blows it up." [Think Progress, 5/28/10]

Berry Played A Parody Video That Mocked Muslims And Joked About "Forced Genital Mutilation." In a parody video meant to show that people who criticize conservatives for "the war on women" are hypocrites if they also support "Islamic culture," Berry played a segment about a Muslim woman who does not want to undergo "forced genital mutilation" until her husband removes the pictures of "goats" from their bedroom ceiling. The video ends with the husband saying the goats remind him of his wife and the woman agreeing to undergo "forced genital mutilation" while multiple people scream, "Allah Akhbar." [Michael Berry Show, 6/5/15]

Berry Has Posted Several Videos That Personally Attack Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX). Berry has posted several videos to his show's YouTube page criticizing how Jackson Lee speaks, her hair, and her outfits. In addition, Berry posted a parody video of a fake app called the "Sheila Jackson Lee Hurricane Translator App" that changes the names of hurricanes from white or Hispanic names to names that are "down for the struggle." [YouTube, 3/4/11; YouTube, 10/29/10; YouTube, 7/9/13]

Berry Posted A Mock Re-enactment Of Michael Brown's Shooting. Berry posted a video to his show's YouTube page titled, "Michael Brown: The Musical," which mocks the protests that followed the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown by a white police officer in Ferguson, MO. The words, "Hands up, don't shoot" are heard before the sound of a gunshot, followed by the sound of a body collapsing. [YouTube, 10/6/14]

Berry Consistently Shares Racially Insensitive Content On Social Media. Berry often posts racially charged memes and pictures to social media sites like Facebook:

[Facebook, 3/19/15]

[Facebook, 4/28/15]

[Facebook, 2/26/15]

[Burnt Orange Report, 2/12/14]

[Burnt Orange Report, 2/12/14]

EPILOGUE by JESSE COFFEY

To Michael Berry, if he happens to be the one reading this:

You are a conservative radio host. That I can understand. You are also one of the most horrifyingly racist and bigoted cretins to ever grace Planet Earth. Your track record of criminal offenses is almost close to that of Adolf Hitler or Josef Stalin, and much, much higher than that of Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin. You have said things that would make fellow bigot/racist Ted Nugent flat out blush. And for doing so, I'm surprised only Media Matters has punished you. With a criminal record like that (all for hate crimes, nothing else) you deserve to have your whole FCC license revoked, your honors taken away, and your reputation - whatever the hell it was - put into ruins.

And, if that were not disgusting enough, you have displayed no remorse, guilt, or even regret for anything you have said. You have not done anything to deserve your redemption as a man. If I were you, I'd leave the air almost immediately after looking at the comments presented by your radio show over the years. These comments are not the work of a legitimate news presenter. They are the work of a convicted felon whom - surprise! - radio stations across the country were bribed into transmitting over the airwaves.

I rule you guilty of the obvious hate crimes presented above the epilogue. The lesson learned is: If you get a radio show, sexist, homophobic, anti-Muslim, and anti-African-American comments must never run rampant. Because you, Michael Berry, have violated this very rule many, MANY times, you are, to quote many of the "grounded" videos flying across YouTube these days, grounded, grounded, grounded for an infinite number of years. Until you've learned this lesson, that's what you will remain.

criminal offenses is almost close to that of Adolf Hitler or Josef Stalin

When the fuck did he run concentration camps and Gulags?

Can I also get your sources for these "criminal records"?

4457556 I said that he had a criminal record "close to that of Adolf Hitler or Josef Stalin" in the sense that they were also that they were also really really bigoted.

Hover over and click on any clickable part of this thread, where sources for these records may be obtained. The sources are also listed in square brackets; Media Matters usually presents sources in square brackets.

Let me rephrase that, are there government documents of his crimes?

4457603 No, but there are witness documents of his crimes. Which these are.

4457606 these actually are not really crimes, hate speach was actually ruled has protected under the first amendment.

If he's allowed to preach hatred, then we are also at liberty to condemn it, yes?

Hey, while I'm sure you think Michael Berry is a cool guy, making apologies for a bigot is not a good look for you.

Like, at all.

In fact, I would accuse you of agreeing with him.

_______
Wake up today, I know your desire
And tonight, the dreams come true!

Can you point out were I made an apology for him?

That would be here. 4457556

I didn't apologize for what he said, I defended him because I though OP was making the accusation of him being completely genocidal and acting on it, OP cleared this up in his next post.

Asking for sources isn't defining anyone.

In that case, let me restate my previous post.

Defending a bigot is not a good look for you. I'm going to extend you the benefit of the doubt that you were merely playing Devil's Advocate, but your choice of avatar suggests to me two things:

1.) You think that African-Americans are jokes and humor enfleshed, instead of, y'know, human beings. I know where the meme comes from; I personally saw the Habbo Hotel raids ten years ago. I guess it's resurfaced because of the incident in Texas.

2.) You think that race-based humor is funny.

I could be wrong; perhaps you're just an unfortunate victim of circumstance.

And anyway, the OP was not implying that Berry-san built concentration camps and gas chambers; he was implying that Berry possesses the ideology or beliefs that eventually cause people to build these things.

It's a slippery slope, if you will. One minute, you're just an art student who got kicked out of art school by a Jewish chap.

Next minute, you're building the Greater German Reich and gassing people by the hundreds.

This is why I try not to discourage users of this site from pursuing their artistic inclinations.

_______

1.)   You think that African-Americans are jokes and humor enfleshed, instead of, y'know, human beings.  I know where the meme comes from; I personally saw the Habbo Hotel raids ten years ago.  I guess it's resurfaced because of the incident in Texas.

Oh man, if that sets you off your not going to like were my name comes from.
But really, I do see blacks as people and like all people I enjoy making fun of them.

2.)  You think that race-based humor is funny.

I do, no matter what race is the butt of the joke.

And anyway, the OP was not implying that Berry-san built concentration camps and gas chambers; he was implying that Berry possesses the ideology or beliefs that eventually cause people to build these things.  

Yes, we already established that this was a misunderstanding.

But really, I do see blacks as people and like all people I enjoy making fun of them.

1.) We are talking about African-Americans.

2.) You realize this statement of yours is an oxymoron, right?

It's like saying "Jumbo Shrimp". The two exclude each other; you can have one or the other, but it is physically impossible to have both. Furthermore, it is also patently false: not 'all people' enjoy making fun of them.

In fact, the people who enjoy making fun of black people are not generally considered to be fonts of virtue, compassion and honor.

_______

Well, I'm glad I don't live in orange, Texas.

I rule you guilty...

Great, who the hell are you? Unless you're some form of magistrate, your "judgements" don't amount to much. Sure the guy is a scumbag but listen to yourselves for Christ sakes.

"We're talking about African Americans."
Well bully for you, I call them IC3s.

Also you're all doing a grand job of making and passing judgement on people, along with making sweeping judgements about their character, judgements I'm not really sure run in step with the spirit of civil discussion. Not that there's much to discuss, we all agree that calling people nasty names over the radio is rude, but saying his crimes are close to that of Hitler or Stalin... That's just engaging in pointless hyperbole. Sure he's a bad guy but saying his crimes are on that level... It cheapens the lives lost during the holocaust and the purges, to say they're equal to another guy spouting bullshit over the radio.

Also, when you say "all people who make fun of African Americans arent paragons of virtue." You missed the spot where he said he made fun of everyone, race irrelevant. Sort of like me in that regard.

In fact, I would accuse you of agreeing with him.
Defending a bigot is not a good look for you.

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that this was a country where we all had to conform to a certain way of thinking. God forbid I would ever want to do something that made me not look good to someone on the internet. The last thing I want to do is say something that might offend someone somewhere at some point in time. Who knows, if it's insensitive enough maybe it'll even be a crime and I'll go to prison because I hurt somebody's feelings.

On the contrary, if you want to start a "White Supremacist Brony Club", it's no skin off my back.

I'm gonna criticize the hell out of your club, though.

It's a two-way street - you can defend people who hate African-Americans, and we can say "That's a terrible idea, bro."

I'm not saying you're a white supremacist, but, if by some miracle, you were one, and, if by some miracle, you wished to start such a club, I would not stand in your way; however, I'd harshly criticize it.

Also you're all doing a grand job of making and passing judgement on people, along with making sweeping judgements...

No, we aren't: we are opining about a terrible, hateful person who espouses hateful ideology, along with the people who think he's a swell dude.

...judgements I'm not really sure run in step with the spirit of civil discussion

What could there possibly be to say about a bigot that could be civil? What sort of excuse could we possibly make for him? He has a condition that makes it impossible for him to recognize African-Americans as (occasionally flawed) human beings? Why, in the name of Celestia, should we be civil towards this hateful individual?

I can't believe you and others are actually preaching tolerance for this bag of scum. I refuse!

It cheapens the lives lost during the holocaust and the purges, to say they're equal to another guy spouting bullshit over the radio.

You are aware that the Holocaust was preceded by a guy (Dr. Joseph Goebbels) spouting bullshit over the radio, yes? It was the Precursor to Tragedy, if you will.

Once again, I'm not sure why we should feel sorry for Michael Berry, and I denounce those who are defending him in this thread.

_______

I'm not saying you're a white supremacist

But you did say that Enclave Officer was one just for saying this: 4457556 So there's that.

It's a two-way street - you can defend people who hate African-Americans, and we can say "That's a terrible idea, bro."

There are a few things I want to touch on here that are important.

1) There's a difference between defending someone/what they say, and defending their right to say it.
2) I (and I suspect Enclave Officer) are the latter.
3) Calling someone you disagree with a criminal because of what they say is basically a witch hunt. It's also the kind of thing that leads to sedition laws, if you're familiar with it.

Aside from that, though, you're right in that you're totally free to tell me that what I'm doing is a terrible idea. That's what I've been getting at this whole time: freedom of speech, you know? The idea that you can make a crime out of saying something, no matter how stupid it is, is abhorrent.

There are small groups of white supremacist bronies, so it's not like I'm doing a pie-in-the-sky type thing here, wildly throwing accusations at the wall and seeing if they'll stick.

There are also websites with high populations of white supremacists (i.e. stormfront) on the Internet; it's no great leap of faith to assume that they would infiltrate other websites, such as this one.

I'm glad we're having this conversation; it's about time we hashed out the paradox of Prejudice in the FiM Fandom community, especially since one of things its fans love to talk about is how much more they love and tolerate others.

Mind you, if people want to use FiM as a vehicle for their beliefs, and make Nazi ponies, and etc., it's really none of my business, and they are at liberty to do so; however, it kinda runs counter to the 'loving and tolerating everyone!' catch-phrase so often flung about by the fandom.

I suppose it's always a given that there will be contrarians in any group, which leads to schismatic events.

Also, you can be arrested for saying things; it's the "Shouting 'FIRE!' in a crowded place for laffs" gambit, and it is frequently mentioned by lawyers as an example of where free speech laws are no longer in effect.

I am not saying we should incarcerate Berry for saying what he said. In fact, I'm glad he said it. I actually wish more people would do things like that, instead of being all like,

I have a black friend, and I'm not racist, but we gotta do something about Those Thugs On The Street, playing rap music and whistling at white women!

If people belch forth their prejudices, then we can critique them about it. Also, by venting their prejudices, we can use them as proof that Racism is NOT over, and we are most certainly NOT in a 'post-racial society'.

EDIT:

If someone who is not African-American says something about the blacks, gird your loins for trouble.

There are African-Americans, Africans, and the African diaspora.

You don't see people calling Asian-Americans "the yellows" - at least, not in polite conversation. Maybe they say things like that over at Stormfront.org.
_______

I'll be straight with you, I have a hard time taking that guy seriously. But whatever, I'll roll with that one. The point I was trying to make is that when someone questioned the idea that this Berry guy was a horrible race criminal, the immediate response was accusing him of agreeing with what was said.

As for prejudice in the fandom/white supremacists leaking in from other places, I don't really care to debate that. There are crazy people everywhere. :/

Also, you can be arrested for saying things; it's the "Shouting 'FIRE!' in a crowded place for laffs" gambit

Yes, because shouting fire is an inherently mischievous act. You are using your speech solely to create chaos, and this should be punishable. It is not espousing an opinion, which is the kind of speech I am looking to defend.

I am not saying we should incarcerate Berry for saying what he said.

Perhaps not, but when you accuse someone of a crime or crimes, there is the implicit desire to have consequences associated with criminals. When you get witch hunts like this (which are common enough nowadays), you also get people who can't handle themselves and send death threats and the like. I mean, let's look at George Zimmer; whether or not you believe the man to be satan incarnate, ignoring the big shtick that was that case, his life is basically over. The case was a guy who was ruled innocent by the courts, and because of the media attention and witch hunt that was created by people like the OP here, his life is now so stigmatized that he will never be able to do anything normally again. That's just as bad as being incarcerated, don't you think? Never being able to hold a good job again?

As for us still having a race problem, let me direct you to Booker T Washington, a very learned black man who is long dead.

"There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs. There is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well."

Black people have been allowed to vote for how many decades now? They've been allowed to own property for how long? You can point to isolated cases all you want, but we just don't have the same societal racism that people want to say we do. Individual people? Sure, I'm certain there are still plenty of individual racists still yet. However, you can't use them as proof that our system is still that way.

I live in Kentucky, for pete's sake, and I've never met anyone who has been an honest-to-god racist.

I'll be straight with you, I have a hard time taking that guy seriously. But whatever, I'll roll with that one.

It may be possible that he is doing it for the lulz, but with the recent rise in Neo-Nazism (just look at Ukraine!) I have a hard time brushing things like that off.

I mean, let's look at George Zimmer; whether or not you believe the man to be satan incarnate, ignoring the big shtick that was that case, his life is basically over.

For the kid that he killed, the kid's life is genuinely over. Zimmer could have saved himself; he could have, y'know, not killed the kid. I usually manage not to kill people, and so do you.

This is just an anecdote, but, I was once going to a dubstep concert in New York City with my friends. A guy ran up to us and slugged me in my jaw, then ran off. Did I 'slap iron' and shoot him dead? Nope. The tired old argument of 'Brown hit Zim, ergo, Zim had carte blanche to shoot him' really doesn't work here.

Black people have been allowed to vote for how many decades now? They've been allowed to own property for how long? You can point to isolated cases all you want, but we just don't have the same societal racism that people want to say we do. Individual people? Sure, I'm certain there are still plenty of individual racists still yet. However, you can't use them as proof that our system is still that way.

1.) African-Americans.

2.) 'Black people' aren't allowed to enter a swimming pool. In 2015.

Remember that? Yeah.

This is a picture from 1964. The man is throwing acid into the pool - corrosive fluid, not the fun stuff that makes you trip balls.

This sort of prejudice has continued, unabated, for decades. African-Americans may have won a few victories in the battle against prejudice, but by and large the campaign doesn't seem to be over.

image search

I live in Kentucky, for pete's sake, and I've never met anyone who has been an honest-to-god racist.

Probably because people tend to conceal their prejudices in public. It may also be that you just don't live where the racists are. They tend to group together, you see.

EDIT:

Also, instead of running around calling Afro-Americans 'damn dirty apes' or so on, the New Hotness is to run to a phone and call the police on them, even if they're doing something totally innocuous.

One officer actually complained on Reddit about people making his job harder by calling the police on innocent people.

_______

The tired old argument of 'Brown hit Zim, ergo, Zim had carte blanche to shoot him' really doesn't work here.

I'm not here to argue the specifics of the case with you. In my experience, people who I discuss this with had already decided on what they believed about the case before the facts even came out. It's the same way with all these overblown media stories that are made into controversies, up to and including the pool incident at McKinney.

Most people didn't even bother to look up the specifics of the case, such as how the group never actually got approval for the event in the first place, or how this was an event named the "Dime Piece Cookout". If you don't know what Dime Piece means, look it up. In addition, the pool was off-limits to non-residents, unless they were guests of residents. Not only that, but the reason the police were called was because of unruly teenagers, not because of race. These people were drinking and smoking pot while actual young children were around. Oh, and the mother of those young children? She was assaulted.

Other relevant sources.

So I'll thank you for not taking things out of context.

This sort of prejudice has continued, unabated, for decades.

You pointed out two incidents, one of which isn't even about race at all. One of which occurred over 40 years ago. Forgive me if I am skeptical of 'continuing, unabated racism'.

Probably because people tend to conceal their prejudices in public. It may also be that you just don't live where the racists are. They tend to group together, you see.

So... you're saying that it's there, I just can't see it? (I know what you're getting at, though, and you're partially right; see below)

Anyway, that reddit thread was actually quite enjoyable to read. It's good to know that people in law enforcement are aware of the problems we're having and actively work against them. As for the incidents, however, again let me say that you're always going to have individuals who are either too proud to admit their opinions from 30 years ago were wrong or who are just messed up in the head. As you said, oftentimes they do clump up and there are places today where things could still be problematic. That does not mean that our society as a whole has the same problems as these isolated pockets.

Finally... why should I say African-American? I find that term derogatory, because it makes them less than total Americans. They're just people whose skin happens to be black, and that's a useful descriptor, even if it doesn't have any significance beyond that. They don't even use that term themselves, anyway. (In my experience, of course. Most of the times I've spent with black people they've just referred to themselves as 'people', just like anyone else. Occasionally I had a few guys refer to themselves as niggers, though. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. :applejackunsure:)

Why do you go to so many right-wing Afro-American-bashing websites? As soon as I saw Breitbart I closed the link.

The Right Sector, as of late, hates Afro-Americans; this is documented fact and has been discussed widely in the Internet.
Of course they're going to say that the Afro-Americans at the pool 'had it coming to them'.

Most people didn't even bother to look up the specifics of the case, such as how the group never actually got approval for the event in the first place, or how this was an event named the "Dime Piece Cookout". If you don't know what Dime Piece means, look it up. In addition, the pool was off-limits to non-residents, unless they were guests of residents. Not only that, but the reason the police were called was because of unruly teenagers, not because of race. These people were drinking and smoking pot while actual young children were around.

And this warrants Police Officers slamming people to the ground and pulling out their firearms? Are you even being serious right now?

Do you also think the Drug War is super cool, and that Cannabis is 'bad'?

Just how many lies do you place your faith in, really? Hello! Can you hear me, back there in 1950? Reefer Madness no longer exists; adults can imbibe as they wish around small children with no impact to them, and have done so for centuries if not millennia.

Oh, and the mother of those young children? She was assaulted.

She began the fight, actually, and used racial epithets.

See? That's what comes of listening to Right-Wing Nut Jobs.

Your entire argument is based on the premise that 'they deserved it' (which was the battle cry of every lynching party and cross-burning in the USA, even till now), and then you went on to take the accounts of websites frequently criticized for being prejudiced. I disagree, and I refuse to accept the argument of a Right-Wing Nut Job who thinks 'the blacks' are ruining everything!

You should say African-American or Afro-American for the same reason you say Asian-American, Mexican-American, Norwegian-American, and Jewish-American. Respect their wishes; or are you on the Opposition Party's ticket? Nobody cares if you find it degrading; it's none of your business, because you aren't an Afro-American(unless you are, in which case, scratch that).

And the people who asked you to call them niggers have no self-respect.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2012/03/andrew-breitbart-leaves-a-legacy-of-racism-islamophobia-and-hate/

Read that and stop swallowing the lies Breitbart and his ilk spout.

EDIT: Or don't, actually. You know what? If you want to march in lock-step with the Right Sector, and if you really think we should round up the blacks so that they stop 'smokin' reefers, and bein' loud, and hootin' and hollerin and actin' like some loud N-Words', more power to you, champ.

I find your attitude towards Afro-Americans to be very negative. I find you inconsiderate. I find you discourteous. In short, I'm afraid I disagree with you entirely and your words utterly fail to convince me in any way.

But it's okay: you are exemplifying my point about the fact that Bronies are not nearly as 'loving and tolerant' as they tout themselves - it would seem that some of them prefer cartoon horses to human beings who happen to be different from them.

It's obvious why you don't see racism towards Afro-Americans: you turn a blind eye, or handwave racist behavior as "not racist".

_______

2.) 'Black people' aren't allowed to enter a swimming pool. In 2015.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, good job taking one frame from a video and fitting it to a narrative.

The police were called because a fight broke out. The story's divided, but the most popular one seems to be that a white woman started yelling racist sentiments towards some of the black kids. As though that excuses the clusterfuck it follows. News flash, it doesn't.

That frame that shows the officer reaching for his gun? Those two kids slightly out of frame? They caused him to go for it. They ran up to him, one put his hand to his side as though he was reaching for a hidden gun. Immediately Officer Casebolt (the officer restraining the girl) stood up and drew his weapon. The two kids immediately ran off as Officer Casebolt immediately holstered his weapon. However, unfortunately, parasites such as Huffington Post and Buzzfeed posted a gif that made it seem as though as he randomly drew his firearm on the "obviously innocent black chittluns that dindunuffin"

Officer Casebolt's finger never touched the trigger and the gun was kept in a down position where the muzzle never came across the kid's body.

This incident is no where even the same as that other pic you posted. And it's quite sad that you equate the two.

Why do you go to so many right-wing Afro-American-bashing websites? As soon as I saw Breitbart I closed the link.

Alright, you caught me. I don't actually go to breitbart's site. All those sources were from the last source I linked, here. I figured it would be best to actually post all the sources from there as opposed to just one source with further sub-sources.

And, now that I think about it, when was the last time they bashed black people for being black? I think you're being a little unreasonable by just outright closing the link. Whenever people link me to media matters or the daily kos, I at least have the decency to read it and then decide for myself if they've got factual information or are just blowing hot air.

The Right Sector, as of late, hates Afro-Americans; this is documented fact and has been discussed widely in the Internet.

Of course they're going to say that the Afro-Americans at the pool 'had it coming to them'.

Really?? That's a bit of a generalization, and I think you're wrong. I grew up in a very right-wing area and nobody hated black people. In fact, the people I grew up with were the ones who made the biggest efforts to be honorable and kind to not just black people, but everyone.

When you smoke pot and drink alcohol at a party specifically about hooking up with people, you have to understand that your actions are going to have consequences. That's how the world works; you break the rules and you suffer the punishments associated with that. So yes, they got what was coming to them.

And this warrants Police Officers slamming people to the ground and pulling out their firearms? Are you even being serious right now?

Well how else do you bring order to a mob of unruly teenagers who won't disperse and won't cooperate? Just keep asking them nicely? Especially after a mother was assaulted? (And I know you think she started it, but if you had read any of my sources then you'd know that there isn't really any evidence there; it's the mom's word against the teen's word. All we saw was the snippet in the video.)

Do I like how it played out? No. However, none of this would have happened if the teenagers at the party had just cooperated with police. They gave the officer(s) a reason to use force by their behavior, and now they're upset about the consequences. It's like a child disobeying their parents and then crying when they get spanked. (Obviously a bit more extreme in this case, but the idea is the same)

See? That's what comes of listening to Right-Wing Nut Jobs.

Well, for one your source didn't even prove what you said. The article says one of the women "who allegedly began the racially-motivated altercation", and there is no further evidence to support the case. The article it links to is just a witch hunt article about Eric Casebolt.

I could just turn around and say that this is what comes of listening to Left-Wing Nut Jobs, but from experience I know that they're people too. They aren't always wrong. You asked if I thought the drug war was super cool, and my answer is no. I'd like to see drugs legalized, because the laws sure as hell aren't doing anything to stop people from using them. We might as well make it legal and put regulations in place to make sure that people are at least marginally responsible when using them. Just don't be surprised if there are, you know, consequences for getting high and doing stupid crap.

take the accounts of websites frequently criticized for being prejudiced

If you noticed, half of those sources were from sites like NBC, WFAA and so forth. I'm sure those have a history of racism accusations.

...Right-Wing Nut Job who thinks 'the blacks' are ruining everything!

Who says this? I'm curious who you're attributing this to.

for the same reason you say Asian-American, Mexican-American, Norwegian-American, and Jewish-American.

But I don't say those either. I don't know anyone who wishes me to call them that, either.

EDIT: To add to this, I have a very German ancestry, and I'd be offended if someone called me a German-American. I'm just an American, thank you, albeit one with a very German history/culture.

Nobody cares if you find it degrading; it's none of your business, because you aren't an Afro-American

Why is not my business? Does the fact I'm not Jewish make the Holocaust not an issue for me? Of course not. This is a non-argument and does nothing to refute the points I've made. Am I not free to have an opinion on things?

And the people who asked you to call them niggers have no self-respect.

While I agree with you, I should clarify: they never asked me to call them niggers, nor did I do so. It was how they referred to each other, and I'm sure if I'd called them niggers they would've beaten the poop out of me. This could be a whole new topic of discussion (reverse racism, where black people are allowed to say/do things that white people aren't), but I don't feel like going there right now.

As for that last article about Breitbart, I never really listened to him; I'm more of a Glenn Beck fan. Besides, after reading a few of the articles linked within it, I could easily talk about how ridiculous they are. Just look at some of the language they're using, it's like conspiracy talk.

Regardless, I make a very conscious effort to not accept anything I hear as truth unless I can verify it myself. I don't swallow anyone's lies. (I'm an approximate libertarian, if that helps make it clear where I stand.)

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Thank you.
Thank CELESTIA you don't actually read Breitbart. That would be terrible.

I'm sure if I'd called them niggers they would've beaten the poop out of me

Perhaps, perhaps not; I am an Afro-American male of 25 years and fairly strong, and I have bigger fish to fry than that. I've had people yell that word at me while driving down the street; I did not jump out of my car, flex my muscles menacingly, and then lay into them with a Tire-Iron. It made me have a frowny face for a second, or made me spill my drink into my lap with surprise.

There are hardcore little white teenage kids in my neighborhood who use 'nigger' like it's a period, at the end of each sentence; their black friends think it's cool and rad.

I don't, but I guess I'm autistic or something. But then, I listen to hardcore techno and watch anime, so I guess I'm also not very good at being a black person. Apparently I am only allowed to like rap music and watch American TV.

White and East-Asian pornstars love to use the N-Word when doing interracial films.
It's actually a kink for some Afro-Americans - it's called raceplay, and it basically boils down to this: You have sex with a white or Asian person. That person calls you a Nigger during sex, and talks about your large Nigger penis, etc etc., and you can just go to a porntube and punch in "Raceplay for Black People" if you want to look at two hours of white females and asian females saying 'nigger'.

There's an artwork of Applejack saying 'nigger'. :applejackconfused: I never knew she was so kinky.

Shouda seen it coming, though - she's blonde, and the porn studios LOVE getting blonde actresses to do that sort of thing. There's an entire sad website called 'Blacksonblondes' that is pretty much all about this.

While interracial pornography is fun (Hey! There's someone who looks like me IRL! Rad!) , I have gripes about it. Why all the epithets? Why are the Afro-American actors always dressed in god-awful nonsense like caps and t-shirts and jeans? Can't they dress like professionals? Why do the White and Asian actresses behave in such out-there ways, and are not pictured doing stimulating things like reading books, or making artwork?

I'd like to open a interracial porn studio that produces classy titles. You guys can help if you want. The Afro-American males are politicians or scientists, instead of 'average hustlers on the street', and the white and asian females are engineers or professors. Everyone is very polite, tender, and courteous.

It would probably not go over well and not be popular, though. :pinkiesad2:

Honestly, the N-word is not that big of a deal. Yes, I acknowledge that there are Afro-Americans who grow furious over its use; I think they're wasting their energy and need to pick their battles with more care, because they should be rebelling against government policies targeting them, instead of trying to get people to stop saying words (which is the most futile task you can ever embark upon).

It's annoying and not very nice, but there are more serious things at our doorstep.

I'm more concerned with not having my head kicked in by police, and Economic Inequality, to be honest. I think it's not a very nice thing to say, but I have no strong feelings regarding preventing people from saying it. I get a lot of people telling me, "Oh, we're not allowed to say the n-word anymore!" and my response is: "It really doesn't matter - if you ran around in a small circle yelling NIGGERS! I'd probably just take a sip of beer and give you a Disapproving Look. If I got REALLY mad, I might say to you, "You naughty little person.""

"But, Alsvid, you care a lot about 'the blacks' being called Afro-Americans!"

That's simple diplomacy - a friendly request. If you are willing to meet us on our terms, it signifies goodwill and compassion on your part. It's like a watch-word, so to speak - you are at liberty to call black people black, or n-words, but if you say 'Afro-American', educated people like myself will give you mad props.

EDIT: To add to this, I have a very German ancestry, and I'd be offended if someone called me a German-American. I'm just an American, thank you, albeit one with a very German history/culture.

You are aware that there are people who demand to be called German-Americans, yes? They even have their own holiday called Von Steuben Day; they are the exception to the rule. Besides, I think you should celebrate your German heritage.

I'm not trying to trap you into doing a thing, and then say, "HA! You're a racist German who hates America!"

I don't really 'believe' in America, anymore. In my opinion, I'm an African who happens to be here, and you are a German who happens to be here.

If you watched enough Fox News (which I am not saying you do, because you seem to be a fairly together sort of person), you could accuse me of hating America; although, I do not hate my country, I just wish it would stop drinking so much. It's tearing our family apart and hurting our little African-American offspring.

In short, I believe America can do better.

Really?? That's a bit of a generalization, and I think you're wrong. I grew up in a very right-wing area and nobody hated black people. In fact, the people I grew up with were the ones who made the biggest efforts to be honorable and kind to not just black people, but everyone.

You have a good point! Let me rephrase that.

There are people from the Right Sector who have been making a lot of negative noise, drowning out their more moderate compatriots, spreading Fear, Uncertainty, and Denial about Afro-Americans.

Why is not my business? Does the fact I'm not Jewish make the Holocaust not an issue for me? Of course not. This is a non-argument and does nothing to refute the points I've made. Am I not free to have an opinion on things?

Well, I'm certainly not going to decide that for you, because I am not Jewish, but there are Jewish bronies and pegasisters who could decide.

Furthermore, I'm not going to pretend that mistakes were not made by the Afro-Americans who started the party, or manipulated it, or so on. They acted in very stupid ways. I know I'd certainly not call my pool party the dime piece party - I'd call it something like...oooooh, say, 'Dashcon Pool Edition.' :twilightblush:

However, I think that the methods used by Officer Casebolt and his crew were excessive.

Who says this? I'm curious who you're attributing this to.

Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly. Michelle Malkin.

Glenn Beck USED to be like them, but, strangely, he became nice, recently, and started talking to Afro-Americans, which is neat.

We don't wait racist people to die or go away; we want them to be re-educated so that they realize they have nothing to fear from us; we don't secretly want to rape their families and take their stuff, nor do we want to 'kill whitey'. It wouldn't help us in any quantitative way.

If the people who hated black people learned that their fears were unfounded, and became our allies, that would suit us perfectly.

But I don't say those either. I don't know anyone who wishes me to call them that, either.

I live next to a large enclave of Asian-Americans who demand we call them such. They go to the Stony Brook University.

Since everyone's getting cutie-pie Asian girlfriendos or waifus these days, I obey their commands in the hopes that I can, as well, have an Asian Girlfriend(tm) and be Cool.

Funny story:

I was in Walmart a few weeks ago. There was a Chinese (ostensibly) dude there with his wife. They were both middle-aged, but the wife was wearing yoga pants and trying to act as if she was still super hot.

When I passed by them, he was busy putting things into his cart. His wife turns around, winks at me, and smacks her (well-toned) butt.

I walked right past her because I had no intentions of arousing the wrath of a Chinese man; he'd probably do a Kung Fu on me if I fooled around with his waifu, and, anyway, I'm not a homewrecking son-of-a-bitch, even if he was polite enough to concede his waifu to me.

_______

The story's divided, but the most popular one seems to be that a white woman started yelling racist sentiments towards some of the black kids. As though that excuses the clusterfuck it follows. News flash, it doesn't.

On that we can agree.

If a white woman confronted me while yelling "nigger!" I'd just leave.

Joke answer: Or, I'd assume she probably watched too many Interracial porn movies, and thought that it would endear her to me.

I'm as brave a soul as any, but it just isn't worth it to make a fight of things, sometimes.

But I think the LEO's response was totally disproportionate to the situation. When he and his pals arrived, the Afro-American teens were running away. They had more or less already done their job and gotten the 'mob' to disperse (although, one wonders if a few teenagers is 'a mob').

_______

Well, as it seems to go, the girl refused to leave, so he told her to sit down. But the way he's restraining her isn't actually that extreme. His leg is below her chest quite a bit, and most of his weight's probably on his crouched leg.

Drawing his gun on the teenagers that ran up to him and decided to try and follow Paul Blart's advice by pretending to have a gun really did deserve to have that gun drawn on them.

You don't run up to a friggin' cop and put your hand to your side and look like you're drawing a gun, and then get to proceed and complain about how he drew his gun you! You don't get to do that!

Well, I did say they acted stupid.

For the record, even though I am an Afro-American male, I am polite to officers who encounter me.

I tell them "Good Morning, sir." Or "Good night, ma'am." and throw them a little salute. When I'm pulled over, I chat with them politely.

Some of them, sadly, think I'm trying to be rude by being polite; they look at me as though I were being sarcastic.

There is no way to fully describe the terror I feel when a Police Officer walks into the same place I'm at, these days. It takes effort for me not to just curl up into a ball and start crying.

_______

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29