Bronies who play musical instruments 147 members · 45 stories
Comments ( 25 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 25

Now, I've been in a band for a little over a year and a half, but I've been a musician since long before then. (For reference, I play drums, bass, and keyboard, alongside being a vocalist), and I have a question for all of my fellow musicians. Why do drummers and bass players get no respect? :rainbowhuh:
Literally anywhere I go, people are convinced that drums and bass guitar are the "talentless" instruments. In fact, a majority of guitarists I've met insist that both instruments are ridiculously easy and take no talent, despite having never played either of them. :ajbemused:
Sorry if I seem like I'm whining; I really don't mean to come across that way. I'm more confused than upset, honestly, but over all I'm just tired of being referred to as a "fake musician." :ajsleepy:
Anyway, what do you guys think of all this? :applejackunsure:

Oh, and just for reference, Bass is not all I do in the band. I'm the drummer aswell, along with backup vocals. Aside from that I also do a majority of the management and production, aswell as being a co-founder (along with the lead vocalist).

4876618 Guitarists and vocalists have a habit of getting "frontman syndrome." Since they do all the lead, flashy stuff, they get an ego. It's funny because bass and drums are literally the most important things in a band. Without one, the song sounds lacking. Case in point:

They're not using a bass guitar since the bassist is on keyboard, and it really shows. The guitar feels weak and superficial.

That just sounds like ur talking to a newb. Drums are literally the most important instrument in pretty much everything and anything with a tempo, and that's coming from a guitarist. Bass guitar is also my favourite instrument even though I don't usually play it.

I will say, though, that I've found (and heard) that it is easier to learn bass when you start from being a seasoned guitarist rather than guitar starting from bass.

4876693 Well, the thing is, it's not just our guitarist. In fact, our guitarist is more set on replacing me on both drums and bass (despite that he knows nothing about either). While I can agree that it sounds lacking without a bass, I'm pretty sure the only reason I'm capable of recognizing that is because I play bass. I know literally tons of people who wouldn't even notice, and if I explained the difference would probably insist that this proves how unnecessary the bass is.

4876708 Most people don't realize the importance of bass. Have him talk to a professional in the industry. He'd get laughed out for saying bass is unimportant.

4876711 Fair point. Where does the misconception that drums and bass are easy come into play, though? ._.

4876714 I don't know. They probably think drums are just hitting a pattern over and over while bass is just one note at a time.

4876719 Most likely. It's really annoying, honestly. Probably why our guitarist thinks I'm so replaceable.

4876618 it's the exact opposite where I live. Drummers are in short supply so they're highly valued, and bass players are seen as sexy and masters of funk. Guitarists (Which I happen to be) are the guys who pick up the "easy" instrument, and are just tossed to the side since there are so many of them.

4876886 Oh, there's incredibly few bassists and drummers here, but the reason for that is because nobody likes them. Everyone here is pretty much your stereotypical arrogant guitarist. Y'know, the "Guitar is the talent of the band" kinda guys?

4876706 I dunno about that. The finger techniques are hardly interchangeable between guitar and bass, having played both. There are a few basic bits you can cross over, such as galloping, but that's about it.

4876972 I think that's why, actually. While plenty of their techniques may differ (and also for me, the size of a bass is something I'm never gonna like), in the areas where playing does overlap like in melody or performing runs, I've found it pretty straight forward to switch over. My boyfriend, on the otherhand, who is the actual bass player around here finds it a problem to go the other way without losing speed or accuracy when the runs get too varied. Maybe it's the size change, once again. Then again, I know plenty of people like to use the bass almost as a melodic drum, so perhaps that's an issue on occasion as well. I'm assuming for someone like a bass player who starts off on stuff similar to jazz, they probably wouldn't ever have an issue like that at all.

4876969 that's not true though, everyone is the talent of the band. You need all the parts to get a good sound.

4877016 Trust me, I know that better than anyone, and I'm thankful that our guitarist isn't one of those guys (though he can be EXTREMELY arrogant.)

4877012 God, I feel like the only one who likes the size of the bass. xD

4876618 I'm agreeing with many people here and saying that most people don't understand the importance of what you mentioned. If your band contains any level of intensity or emotion at all in any way, shape, or form, drums are the backbone. Case in point, rock and metal music. It would be so bland and boring without drums.

4876693 I disagree. I've seen people who can practically play a symphony with one guitar. No drums, no bass, nothing but one guitar. Incredibly full and rich sounds ensue. Because no matter how important bass and drums are, if you can play guitar, you pretty much have an entire orchestra in your hands.

5021024 Eh, I don't know. Those sound full and rich, but I still feel it can be enhanced by having the rest of the band. No matter how good the guitarist or song, a guitar simply can't get that deep bass sound or impactful percussion.

5021037 I don't know about you, but in my opinion if you gave drums or bass to any of these songs, they would actually sound shittier.

Guess it's best if we agree to disagree, since it's all subjective.

5021061 Am I correct in assuming you're a guitarist? Not to sound dickish, but it's much easier to prefer the sound of the instrument you play. (As a drummer for seven years, I love songs that focus on drums.)

5021128 Guitar and bass guitar. Prefer to play guitar, though when it comes to what it sounds like, my favorite instrument would be an upright bass.

And yes, you sound incredibly dickish.

5021132 My point still stands, though. There's nothing wrong with your preference, sorry if that seemed like what I was saying. All I was trying to get across is that your opinion has a bit of bias, so it may not be as common as you think.

5022641 Your point does not stand because my opinion is not biased. I love the sound of guitar on the same level as the sound of drums or a bass guitar or a human voice. My playing of the instrument has not affected my opinion on its sound—the most likely reason being because you couldn't pay me a thousand dollars to look you in the eyes and call myself a good guitarist.

Putting that aside, to me it doesn't matter what instrument you play, be it a plastic ukulele or a mini harp or bongos or electric piano or an eight-string guitar. If it sounds good, it sounds good, and that's that.

Honestly, the mass majority of the genres I listen to—post-grunge, rapcore, hard rock, etc.—depend on drums and would sound godawful without them.

That said, I'd prefer to keep drums and bass out of the three songs I brought up. In my honest opinion I'd prefer to keep it to just guitar.

5022853 Just your opinion, then. No need to be so offended.

5022865 I'm not offended. Just argumentative.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 25