Warriors of Equestria 1,782 members · 1,454 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Now I may not know much of the lore of Legend of Zeldia, but I have been told that Link is not an elf. I was wondering what's the difference between an elf and a hylian. I tried to looked it up, but it didn't explained anything. Are they same? Do they have different features, if so, what are they?
Could somebody who knows the lore explained to me what the difference.

Nope, because I don't know either. Let's wait for the answer together!

I BELIEVE that Hylians were the descendants of Half-Elves, at least in the lore.

The lore is different, so choose your Link. I'll try to stick close to Ocarina of Time and see what the difference is.

Elves could be seen as those first Hylians that lived with the goddess Farore as the world was new. Zelda and the royal family still have use of magic, along with certain desendants of the Knights of Hyrule. Link is shown of being of that bloodline here "'Looking back through the ages, it is possible that Link, the Hero of Time, was once a Hylian Knight himself. This may be the reason his mother became embroiled in the fires of war.' (Dark Horse Books), pg. 93"

Other than facial features, which are similar because they're descendants, they have little magic left. Even if they aren't hylian, it's spelled out in Skyward Sword here "'Those like you... Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... They are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!' — (Demise, Skyward Sword)"

So I'm not sure where it came from that Link isn't Hylian (or what an elf is in the lore), but one way or another it's a bloodline thing.

So what you're saying is that the hylians are descendants of elves?

They are elves; they just lost most of their magical ability over generations. Farore eventually left/lost form as she used more of her power. Without her around, there are no elves to compare them to. I'm not sure if a race exists separately, but I didn't see anything on the wikia.

"Hylians were the first race to establish civilization in ancient Hyrule. (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 14)" Maybe that helps?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6