Redemption for Villains 56 members · 52 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

I'll get straight to the point.

Most fics I've read put the changeling society to a negative light. I see them often being one era back in technology, using feral and primal societal forms, corrupt to the bone governments e.t.c.

Generally I see changelings used as an excuse for people to go all "Darker and Edgier". While I am not necessarily against it I've grown bored of reading the casual "Changeling society is bad/hive mind oppression" fics that depict the ponies as saints in comparison and generally put the ponies at the feet of "Pony Master Race" while the changelings in general are pictured as Chrysalis's
"Henchmen" "Servant race" or "Clone Army" call them whatever you want. Giving the excuse for the few "Special little snowflakes" to deviate and lead the way to the merciful ponies.

Now this isn't a thread about how about you're wrong or stuff. In fact there are fics out there that are quite interesting to read in that perspective, and I certainly don't shut myself from reading them. But at times... I get tired.

So I am looking for something "Interesting" per say... to read. I am looking for stories, or at least YOUR interpretation of a changeling society that is admirable.

Do they practice philosophy? Arts? Do they use the hivemind as a family? Does solidarity work with them? Are the changelings superior and why?

When you respond to this thread do reply to this post so i get notifications. I will also likely copypaste this thread somewhere else.

thecookiewookie
Group Admin

I see changeling society as more of a "funhouse mirror" situation. Some things are twisted, some are larger, some are smaller, a lot is different, but in the end it's still the same reflection.
The "hivemind" is just a more evident empathic link, the same way that ponies who are total strangers are always flawlessly choreographed when they burst into song. For changelings, the effect is always present. They're individuals, they just instinctively work together like a single thing sometimes. With focus, a changeling can actually send messages through the hive-link, but it's fuzzy: an idea instead of words.
Of course, the hive-link at it's core is just friendship. It's stronger, and it applies differently, but it's still another form of friendship. Ponies have a lot in common on that bit.
As I see it, they're bound to obey Chrysalis because she is the queen: royal changelings are effectively the nexus of the link. The subordinates can question, can act on their own, etc, but they can't directly disobey an order from a royal. To see more on this idea, read my story "A Plea for Help".
Also in my headcanon: Royal changelings aren't born that way. When the current royal passes away, the hive-link naturally finds a new host. In doing so, that changeling is transformed into a royal. The link doesn't choose randomly, either; the link itself is the conglomerate of the changelings' subconscious minds. So, when the link chooses, it picks the changeling who seems to be the best leader, as far as the majority of changelings believe.

3976277 Buit it then raises the question why weren't they able to discern the fake mane 6?

In any case this is interesting.

thecookiewookie
Group Admin

Uh, could you elaborate on that?

Why couldn't they discern the mane 6 out of the transformed changelings.

thecookiewookie
Group Admin

In fast-paced emotional situations, the hive-link isn't especially notable. It's too subtle to really use it effectively in combat unless those changelings involved deliberately focused on it for a while beforehand.

3978980 Right... I'd advise responding to comments with the reply thing. Wouldn't notice you if not for scouring groups here.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7