Anti-Depression Ponies 1,884 members · 2,414 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

5056435 Well that is a bit to take in Lore, but I do see what you're saying. It's really hard to put a lot of work into something only to realize that it's not the kind of thing you actually want to have anything to do with. For example I have a Veteran Rank 2 Templar Tank/Healer hybrid in Elder Scrolls Online. And if you think you know where this is going you're probably right.

After going to all of that effort and taking all of that time it struck me that it will never work for me. I'm much happier as a support type of player that dose Healing and D.P.S. rather than running up front and making my enemies focus on me. Such a thing doesn't suit me anymore that your idea was working for you. I didn't put five years in obviously but we both wasted a lot of time and effort doing something that didn't work for us.

It is a pain and it is hard to deal with the aftermath but deal with it we must. Besides we are both going to be stronger and better for our experiences and that is really what matters. So there is that at least.

that was
TTTTHHHHHEEEEE BBBBBBBBEEEEEESSSSSTTTTT IIIIIDDDDDEEEEEEEAAAA EEEEEVVVVVVEEEEEERRRRR
its brill i like putting twists

5056435 How much have you actually written? Have you written any short stories that take place in your fantasy world?:twilightsmile:

Is it really a waste though?

In those five years you've flexed your creativity and practiced worldbuilding. Maybe you'll end up not using the world. But I bet you'll pick and choose a few things from it that you do like, for future stories or plotlines. It's certainly be the case for me. And even more importantly, it taught you the important lesson that storytelling is far more important than worldbuilding. I think a lot of us go through a phase of obsessive worldcrafting. We go down to trivial details, trying to create a living, breathing, realistic world.

And we realize we have no idea what to do with it. And that's kind of a shitty moment. But it's a moment that teaches a very, very, very important lesson. One you'd probably ignore until you lived it. A world does not a story make. And a setting on its own is useless.

But more important than all of that.... you probably had a whole lot of fun, while doing that worldbuilding. People really seem to discount that, but they don't see how doing stuff like watching TV or whinging on Facebook is utterly empty. Because we safely cram that into the category of recreation, and understand that it's a vital process to not go crazy.

Making that world was recreation. It helped keep Lore-Lei sane and happy. Time well spent. It's no less valid than watching a great movie.

5056435 You're not destroying sweet fairytales, they still exist. You're just making new content with references to mythology. not to mention the actual original fairytales were REALLY fucked up so the ones you're enjoying now are twisted versions of those. Content is inspired by each other but always distinctly different and your thing is distinctly different. Not to mention there's a hell of a lot of "fairy tales" for older people which are quite fucked up and that's not hurting anyone. Your idea sounds good and fun and even deep, and like something that would make a lot of people happy.

If you don't like how badly you've twisted them, then see if you can un-twist them

and I completely agree with 5056563 that you haven't wasted those years even if you do nothing more with that world or the characters; not only have you stretched your creative muscles, but you can look back on your writing and learn from it what works and what doesn't

5056563 And once gain Lumi makes a very good point, please don't ever stop doing that Lumi. We need that kind of help from you every so often. and incidental though it may be you did help me out as well. I've realized that I too gained a lot of practical experience I can use within the context of the game. That's two for one Lumi, nicely done.

5056878 you're right Spark, on both counts. The stories do still stand no matter what, and the original stories are really fucked up alright.

5056513 Good. I suggest you write a short story taking place in your world or chapter two. If you still feel uncomfortable with the world after that, put the world aside, and write about a universe that feels right to you. :raritywink:

Hah.
It was a belated Christmas Miracle that I posted even in one thread. So do not pin hopes on a triumphant return.

One rarely feels helpful or inspiring while struggling to find reasons to continue waking up in the morning.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14